Star Trek Fanfilm Phaser design

xeno

Sr Member
I was asked to make a make a Phaser and Phaser rifle for a upcoming no budget Star Trek Fanfilm,
I started with several designs, witch led to this clean and simple shape, and to keep it even cheaper I made the rifle part an add-on for the Phaser.
to make it more butch looking I gave it a shotgun kinda look :), and even has functioning pump action.

I made a mold for the Phaser and the rifle part was hand made with spare junk material.
the phaser is cast in dark Grey resin so no damage will show on the grips when handled

I'm still not sure of the colors used but I don't have anymore time to change it :rolleyes

7613592.jpeg

7635243.jpeg

7652600.jpeg

7668432.jpeg

having no budget makes the design very basic, but I though ..Star Trek phaser ...long and silver :lol

I even have a another add on to make the Phaser into a heavy phaser, with a smaller add on the bottom part of the phaser, but this stayed in a design phase, but could be made later on.

if people are interested I could make some more castings, but only the phaser, not the rifle part,
this include 3 loose buttons, and a simple shape tube thing on the side bit :)

Last edited:
That's cool! Excellent job! It has a "New Trek" feel to me, like maybe it's some years past the Next Gen era.

Like ToothTech said, I'm not getting any Trek vibe from it, but it's a great design, and great execution! I like it. Fantastic work.

Jim

Almost looks like an MIB rifle (sans chrome-plating). In any case, it's a solid design! I dig the barrel extension... :thumbsup

I think it's a great design! I like it even better than a lot of the Trek phasers seen in the later shows. :)

For a "no budget" prop, you did an oustanding job!
-B89! :D

Cool, I have to agree it doesn't look Trek enough but it is an interesting design. The handle looks like something from the 1980 Flash Gordon.

Fantastic work. I can see the hero with it casually over his shoulder listening to the troubles ahead, slinging it down to put the pump into his other hand...

"Let's go to work..."

and pumping it once to power it up.

I'm open to suggestions, what would make it more Trek ??
(and easy to do off course :))

lines, colors, ridges.

the first designs started out as a closed dough nut ring, later
I just removed a segment, and added a butch looking handle.

here are some designs I made for grips and added shape.

2324075.jpeg

A great design, and look. I agree that is just is not a "Trek" design - well not Federation at least.
I don't know that there is really an addition or changes that you could do. The Trek Phasers (for the most part) all have a common thread look to them, like an evolution that when put side by side look like they all could be from the same source (there are some exceptions.) It feels like an evolution, and in this case it is the handle/pistol look of it that makes it less Trek. Not that there were not pistol looking trek guns but with evolution they seem to have gone away from that -which makes since for a weapon without any kick, there is no need to a big ol'grip for a lightweight weapon that does not kick when fired. Smaller and more sleek seems to be the Trek evolution.
All that aside it would be easy to fit this in to anything Trek, just with some creative history - something of a specialty weapon, designed to fire a more powerful blast then a standerd Federation phaser - a special ops kind of thing - I don't know just rambling my 2 cents -

I would say a couple things you could do to make it a little more Trek like is make the front a little more pointed, thin down the bottom of the handle a little to make it seem less curvy, and put a sight somewhere on the top. Phaser rifles always seem to have some kind of view screen or sight on them.

Very nice! :thumbsup I really like the design of the pistol and how it integrates into a longer rifle. ..good work!! :love

Maybe a change of the controls on the weapon, use some of the STNG series. The led light bar and use the same shape of the buttons might give you a quick and dirty way of bringing it in line. Still I really like your weapon design you did a great job. If you come up with a price for a casting for the pistol let me know.

Phaser_Type-2_2360s.jpg

As said, it's a very nice piece. I think it might help its ST look by changing the shape of the handle's base. I don't think the flare helps the look at all. Rather, it should taper down or maintain its width down to a simple rounded-off tip.

Also, a tactical carry handle might not be amiss atop the shotgun extension. Perhaps something like models EC010, EC020, & EC030 on this page, http://www.handlesunlimited.com/contempextrusions.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back