EVA foam Stormtrooper (OT) build - "Rebels! Blast 'em"

Looks great! Been eating to start my build for some time now. This has got me wanting to start it back up among too many things lol!

Looks great, keep it up!

Now that's a good idea Kirk0 - shame they don't do white mats (or didn't when I ordered mine !)

Thanks alexmiller1 - go for it,it's fun :)

@alexmarz850 - possibly not, just straight painting as per Kirk0's version, with standard wood paint (modern water based variety...)

UPDATE TIME !!!

Ab armour: Buttons added - these are just screw covers that you find on flat pack furniture..
P1000749_zps22bwmn5m.png

Gauntlets: Velcro fasteners at the wrist as I needed to have a cut here so I could pull them on over my hands...
P1000751_zpslsz5qorm.png

Hand plates: Fastened onto running gloves with Velcro. The gloves had a Karrimor logo on the index finger that I removed with nail polish remover. Also had a flag logo and diagonal strip across the back that I removed the same way...
P1000753_zpsesjho8wg.png

Thigh armour: Have the knee ammo packs ready to attach - made from 1mm craft foam and the yoga mats for the ammo packs
P1000752_zpsb6isx0ts.png

Shin armour: Sniper plate made as a separate piece using the craft foam again. Used Velcro on the back with a strip of craft foam to make putting these on nice and easy
P1000750_zpsl4cmn2eo.png

Next stage is lots of Velcro for fitting the armour... Need to buy more Velcro...

Oh, and a sneak peak of a costume for my son...
P1000745_zpsqwumav2e.png

P1000746_zpsbxrlv9rh.png

P1000747_zpsrst4olmu.png

Last edited:
I found there seemed to be little point in sealing this foam, it's not like regular foam it has quite a plastic texture I don't think a pva seal would make much difference that's why I skipped it.

Yeah, these mats are totally different to the heavy interlocking floor mats aren't they - and much easier to cut.

No updates on the trooper, officially christened as 'Gary' now in my household (see Robot Chicken), but I have made progress on the Iron Man costume for my 13 yr son as previewed above. Created a new thread over on the Marvel board for 'mini Stark': clicky click

Been a while since I updated, but I have been slowly working on the E-11 in between the Iron Man build. Given time (and budget) constraints, this is a 'close enough' type of build and not screen accurate...

Working on the scope, rail and Hengstler counter - scope is made from thick card tubes, wrapped with paper strips and some cereal box card for the ends. The rail is a 20mm wide 2mm thick aluminium strip. Hengstler counter is made from foam core base, layered with cereal box card...

P1000808_zps2ceasfwz.jpg

P1000810_zpsve90es7g.jpg

P1000811_zps24rywh3p.jpg

P1000809_zpswj4fmucp.jpg

Haven't worked out how to make the t-tracks on the muzzle, or whether I'll get to make a folding stock, but all in I'm fairly happy with this and it's given me ideas on how to tackle a screen accurate build in the future

Thanks @AlexeiA7X

So... tonight is the night, been scurrying around getting everything finished but had a bit of a nightmare with the paint not adhering to the foam very well :( Lesson learnt, don't skip a stage to save time... should have PVAd the foam first... got some cracking and flaking but think i may have saved it by retrospectively PVAing then adding a spray coat of gloss white. Pictures will happen later (as long as the paint doesn't totally peel off - it only needs to last a few hours - then I can re-paint the 'proper' way!!!!!) My E-11 is looking good though and I've also added some foam inside my black series Trooper helmet to make it more comfortable...

Phew - it went well... Suit held up nicely, experienced some chipping on the edges, especially those edges that rubbed against each other. Had a small tear in the foam on one of the gauntlets, but this was out of sight... Only got one pic (with my sons Iron-Man), but should be more on facebook that I can grab later

P1000841_zpsyrijj3oo.jpg

Looks amazing! I‘ve been meaning to start a budget stormtrooper build for my upcoming sand trooper! Noow you’ve motivated me to get off my lazy arse and get to work;)

I would love to see the photos but for some reason they all show a cat... with "click for photos" but nothing happens :(
I'm betting this is an amazing build though!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back