Any one good with circuits and electronics?

It looks like your EL Panel will work well for your needs since it is low profile and sound can be converted to light.
As you mentioned, having it wired to the speaker would be better, but not having electronics skills might be an issue.
You would have to open up the sound/light device and tap in to the input of the internal amp.
Not knowing the microphone circuit, it would be a challenge to find the best part of the circuit to wire in to.
Also, you will need the "multi-sound file control device" (MP3 player) and tap into it's earphone output and connect that
to the microphone to amp circuit. The earphone output would be a less overpowering signal for the sound/light device.
If you connect directly to the ''speaker output'' of an MP3 player you run the danger of over powering the input to the sound/light driver.
If you are going to use one power supply for both of the devices, they must be common to each other (grounded).
That way the signal from the MP3 player to the S/L device has a proper path.....
I think since you will have two separate items and they both have a volume controls, that would be easier to work with for you.
Just place the S/L driver microphone close to the speaker of the MP3 player.

Just playing with my new toy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdoDz6teau8

Hmmm yeah good point, perhaps the set up I have mixed with what Hewito suggested would likely work well?

I will get back to you if I can figure out the motion sensor

Well I found all the parts you listed over here on eBay, I haven't bought them yet as I couldn't see a way to play the voice files without having to press the play button each time. Have you had any luck or ideas about the sensor?

Cheers P

Well I found all the parts you listed over here on eBay, I haven't bought them yet as I couldn't see a way to play the voice files without having to press the play button each time. Have you had any luck or ideas about the sensor?

Cheers P

Hey Drac,yes i have a few..One question,you want to put a switch(on/off) ,once is turned on you want to leave it on and lights come on when the toaster speaks correct?..I will try to get back to u tomorrow,if not monday for sure..But dont dispair,you will get your toaster to sing u fly it to the moon or i will change my name!

Hey Drac,yes i have a few..One question,you want to put a switch(on/off) ,once is turned on you want to leave it on and lights come on when the toaster speaks correct?..I will try to get back to u tomorrow,if not monday for sure..But dont dispair,you will get your toaster to sing u fly it to the moon or i will change my name!

Haha, much appreciated, yeah the way I'll have it set up will be a seperate set up for the sound pick up and light which has an on and off switch, and a seprate on and off for the sound side of it. The box you made has an on and off switch on the battery pack anyway doesn't t so that should do I would think.

Cheers P

Haha, much appreciated, yeah the way I'll have it set up will be a seperate set up for the sound pick up and light which has an on and off switch, and a seprate on and off for the sound side of it. The box you made has an on and off switch on the battery pack anyway doesn't t so that should do I would think.

Cheers P
Can the light stay on and when it speaks moves with audio?..or u want it to be off and turn on when the audio comes on too?

Hi Drac,

It looks like some kind of micro-control is in your future (and can't be avoided).
It would choose the different sound files, play each file in there entirety and
trigger the "sound to light" device during play back.
Are you still going to use your EL Panel and driver for the light or LEDs?
How many sound files do you have to play and what is there length?
What battery supply voltage are you looking to use (5v, 9v, 12v)?
Do you have pictures of the toaster?

Can the light stay on and when it speaks moves with audio?..or u want it to be off and turn on when the audio comes on too?

It would be ideal if the whole system was linked from light to sound but with my lack of knowledge I'm not capable of it, also it would have an on and off switch for the whole lot.

Hi Drac,

It looks like some kind of micro-control is in your future (and can't be avoided).
It would choose the different sound files, play each file in there entirety and
trigger the "sound to light" device during play back.
Are you still going to use your EL Panel and driver for the light or LEDs?
How many sound files do you have to play and what is there length?
What battery supply voltage are you looking to use (5v, 9v, 12v)?
Do you have pictures of the toaster?

If that would give me what I'm after then yeah lol, I have the EL but if another solution arose that was better I would of course go down that route, there are only about 6-7 files at the present maybe 3-6 seconds long ish, as for battery supply, I guess it just depends what the system would need. Which pics would you be after? I only have a few dissmantled pics at the moment but my Photobucket is not working for some reason so I can't upload at the min but I could try tomorrow.

It's difficult to portray over text what I'm needing for this project lol but just like a Dalek toy, where you press a button and the Dalek speaks a phrase and it's dome lights flash when it speaks, then when you press the button again it speaks a different phrase and the lights flash again, this goes on until all phrases are spoken and it starts at the first phrase again. Only difference I'm looking at is instead of a button it's a motion sensor.

The fact act that they put these things in toys made me think it shouldn't be hard to duplicate for a prop, how wrong was I lol

Good morning Drac,

Many times the electronics involved in toys is a bit different then doing it by hand. If you have ever taken apart toys to get to the circuit board,
you will notice that most of what you see is a "black blob" of epoxy and a few external components to interact with the circuitry under the blob.
It is specifically designed to do only one thing.

If you need to build something similar, you'll find that what you get to do the job you want is designed to do much more then what you need,
making the electronics much bulkier, taking up more room.

In your case, you'll need an :

* MP3 player to store multiple sound files which are addressable in some fashion.
* An amplifier to play the sounds.
* A way to call up the sound files one after another. (microcontroller)
* A "sound to light" circuit, hard wired to the amp's output.
* As well as a motion detector or push button switch to trigger the whole thing.
* etc......

Are you still looking to have it detect motion to trigger the device or start by hand (momentary on/off push button) and
are you going to cut a large hole in the side of the toaster for the light package?
I know with the EL panel, you may not have to cut the side open.

If you are going another route (LED), the light source may end up being a bit thick and not fit under the "speaker/light frame".....
so the light will have to be embedded (set back) into the side.

If you plan to use some kind of diffuser under the grill, the light source (LED cluster or single super bright) may need to be
set back into the toaster a bit to give good light coverage over all.

Last edited:
Good morning Drac,

Many times the electronics involved in toys is a bit different then doing it by hand. If you have ever taken apart toys to get to the circuit board,
you will notice that most of what you see is a "black blob" of epoxy and a few external components to interact with the circuitry under the blob.
It is specifically designed to do only one thing.

If you need to build something similar, you'll find that what you get to do the job you want is designed to do much more then what you need,
making the electronics much bulkier, taking up more room.

In your case, you'll need an :

* MP3 player to store multiple sound files which are addressable in some fashion.
* An amplifier to play the sounds.
* A way to call up the sound files one after another. (microcontroller)
* A "sound to light" circuit, hard wired to the amp's output.
* As well as a motion detector or push button switch to trigger the whole thing.
* etc......

Are you still looking to have it detect motion to trigger the device or start by hand (momentary on/off push button) and
are you going to cut a large hole in the side of the toaster for the light package?
I know with the EL panel, you may not have to cut the side open.

If you are going another route (LED), the light source may end up being a bit thick and not fit under the "speaker/light frame".....
so the light will have to be embedded (set back) into the side.

If you plan to use some kind of diffuser under the grill, the light source (LED cluster or single super bright) may need to be
set back into the toaster a bit to give good light coverage over all.

I see what your saying, I would like to have the motion sensor to activate it but a push button might just have to do, I know there a are remote control options out there as well but I think that's just pushing it lol. I will indeed be cutting the whole on the side to make it easier for fitting the diffuser I have coming and the light source wether it be the EL or LED's whichever gets used.

I see what your saying, I would like to have the motion sensor to activate it but a push button might just have to do, I know there a are remote control options out there as well but I think that's just pushing it lol. I will indeed be cutting the whole on the side to make it easier for fitting the diffuser I have coming and the light source wether it be the EL or LED's whichever gets used.

Last question,what would you rather,a mic or a motion sensor..I am going to try and make a rather simple circuit..Erase the previous list I provided you..I will attach a video soon with the adafruit board..

Last question,what would you rather,a mic or a motion sensor..I am going to try and make a rather simple circuit..Erase the previous list I provided you..I will attach a video soon with the adafruit board..

A motion sensor to activate it rather than a mic :)

A motion sensor to activate it rather than a mic :)

https://youtu.be/w2nkLkEqX0s

I am using an small adafruit sound board with an amp,you could use only one speaker too..I will replace the touch button with an motion sensor and I will add the LED with the sound..Dont worry about the USB cable,I am using it because I was running low on batteries..Once I finish the circuit,I will provide with you..I might have to get the motion sensor to try it since I dont have one here...getting close!

P:S: I used differnt sound clips just for the purpose of showing you the different sounds with same button..I also used Wave Pad by NCH software,free and you can edit(cut sounds,paste sounds,join them too),change formats,etc

https://youtu.be/w2nkLkEqX0s

I am using an small adafruit sound board with an amp,you could use only one speaker too..I will replace the touch button with an motion sensor and I will add the LED with the sound..Dont worry about the USB cable,I am using it because I was running low on batteries..Once I finish the circuit,I will provide with you..I might have to get the motion sensor to try it since I dont have one here...getting close!

Looks interesting indeed, how many or what type of light source will you be looking at?

I haven't got any further with any searches my end, so not much of an update lol any news how your getting on hewito?

Dont despair my friend,I just bought an PIR sensor and I am attaching it to the board..We getting close!

No problem, much appriciated so eager to get this project done. Don't want you thinking I'm being pushy it's just excitement lol I look forward to seeing what you've come up with :)

No problem, much appriciated so eager to get this project done. Don't want you thinking I'm being pushy it's just excitement lol I look forward to seeing what you've come up with :)

No problemo..I am trying to get it exactly how you need it..

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back