Beginning First Prop: HTTYD Hiccup's Sword

CreganTur

First, sadly, I must admit there won't be any pictures in this first post.

I've always wanted to get into this hobby and with the collection of books from the latest Humble Bundle I decided now is the time.

My 6 yo son absolutely loves How To Train Your Dragon. His room is themed for it with some custom stuff my wife made for him and we just bought his first twin bed that we're going to paint black and red to match the decor and theme.

My contribution is going to be Hiccup's sword. It will be a display only piece, so the little guy's going to have to resolve himself to only getting to hold it on special occasions and then just staring longingly at it from it's mounted perch high above his grasping little hands.

Already gotten source images and some basic materials and will begin sketching out my pattern soon.

The handle will be 1-1/2" dowel. I found a PVC spacing coupler that should work as the basis for attaching the hilt and guard- the threaded PVC pipe sections will be affixed to the dowel and I'll sculpt the hilt and handguard onto the pieces that will thread into place.

I'm going to make the blade out of a single piece of MDF that I will shape. Already have a solid idea of how I'm going to affix everything.

While I believe the end result will be quite sturdy, it won't be anywhere near sturdy enough for a 6 yo to play with. But it'll look really good on his wall when I get it done.

--------------------

Primarily I'm a miniatures painter. This will be my first large scale project and I'm excited about starting it!

If anyone's interested in seeing some of my miniature work you can take a look at these:

Bronze Crystal Brush Winner - CMON Expo 2016

My big monster project:
part 1
part 2
part 3

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back