Military Challenge Coins

JediG60racer

Sr Member
Not sure if this is precisely a good fit for this forum, but they're collectibles that connect closely with many of the pieces of history we respect as props used in the RPF.

I've been collecting challenge coins for years, having been given some by friends of my dad's when he was in service (and some more recently).
Lately I've been trying to track down a particular coin that has eluded me...

My father was killed in the line of duty when the F/A-18D he was flying went down on a training mission. It was part of fighter attack squadron VFA-125 and I've been trying to find a challenge coin from that group. I'm also missing coins from my dad's commands, trying to find one from MSO-442 USS Fearless, DD-972 USS Oldendorf, and also his coin from when he was Military Assistant to Secretary of Defense Howard Taft.

Thought to myself, the RPF has never ceased to surprise me with the resources people here have, so, why not put it out there? If anyone has an idea of where I may have luck tracking them down, that would be very cool. Online trading communities, websites, ...?

As for my current collection - we have them displayed on an old steamer trunk, protected with polycarbonate, in our living room. Will try to share a picture of that shortly...

Some of my treasures include challenge coins from the two different Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (Mullen and Dempsey), the NSA, CIA, FBI, White House, SEAL teams my dad operated with, some fighter squadrons from my dad's ship and the ship I became a tailhooker on, a few of my dad's commands, and some friends' commands.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back