New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

Not sure if that is the one but, I think it is a model based on a digital model based on the 8 footer created for Empire.

Exactly. I suspect ILM was supposed to create an Imperial Star Destroyer II for the crashed one on Jakku. So they built the digital model clean first (but did not nail the 8footer accuracy), then destroyed it for the Jakku crashed ship. The Zvezda is probably fashioned based on digital data from the original clean Force Awakens digital model.

Any suggestions for website or Youtube searches to learn more about model lighting for those of us that have never done it? Unfortunately, searching for model lighting returns results for several other things that are totally different than this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I wrote a basic LED primer for my website many many years ago here http://www.antsnest.net/Garage/LEDs.php Things have moved on a lot in terms of types of LEDs (especially surface mount or "chip" LEDs) but the basic info still holds true.

One of these days I'll update it, but I wouldn't hold your breath ;-)

Edit- But you would have to cut into the model to change batteries. Timmy, I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other. I just find in my own experience that a wall plug is much easier to set up.

Thanks, Robiwon, very much appreciated - my plan for getting around the battery issue (which, yeah, I totally get the lifespan trade off, in addition to not realistically being able to run a bunch of 5060s as far as I know) was making the top 'roof' removable, held down with a bunch of mini rare earth magnets. I hate this part - sub-assemblies are pretty much done, but I'm at a stand still trying to decide how to light the thing now.

Working on my garbage chute....well the Star Destroyer's one! LOL!

32373096326_f6fc469f98_z.jpg
20170119_210515 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

32292180031_4685600151_z.jpg
20170119_210413 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

my plan for getting around the battery issue (which, yeah, I totally get the lifespan trade off, in addition to not realistically being able to run a bunch of 5060s as far as I know) was making the top 'roof' removable, held down with a bunch of mini rare earth magnets..

I'd be interested in how feasible this is on this kit. All my stuff is battery powered for the simple reason the only time I switch the lights on is when we're exhibiting at shows and there's never any power!

Not to belabour this point, but that search brings up, like almost every similar search I've tried, what looks like LEDs, wired to long-ish leads, but without resistors, and listed as ready for 9v-12v DC. My rudimentary understanding of wiring LEDs was that they would require resistors to be added into the circuit as well. I've got a ton I picked up, but it's just one of those things I've been eyeing sidelong suspiciously and avoiding. The other question I've got about those pre-wired, is, if they're listed as DC, could a parallel circuit of them be run off of an internal 9V, or a battery back of 8 AAs? I'm guessing that running them parallel is probably going to seriously reduce the battery life, but if it's like, say...a cluster of 5-10 for the main hull lighting and three for the main engines, how bad would it be? I just like the idea of a self-contained system, and of NOT having to chop the model up to add a mounting point for wiring. :unsure

I have used the pre-wired 9-12v LEDs before. They have the resistors inbuilt and do not need any further resistors fitted. If your LED is listed as a 5v type, expect to need to add resistors in-line.
The other type of resistor that often needs no resistors, is the 12v flashing type. Although these higher voltage types are getting a little rare in this neck of the woods, meaning more resistors again!

I just received a shipping notice from Shapeways for my 1/2700 Millennium Falcon, to mount on the back of the SD's conning tower. I'll post pics when I receive it.

Yeah, that's not the issue – in my case,I'm just loathe to cut into the model to create a mounting point for the wiring,so I WANT a battery pack in order to keep everything internal.
Why not add two contact points on the lower hull (foil or a 1.4" bit of copper wire) and have the model rest on a wired stand to complete the circuit?

- - - Updated - - -

Timmy, sending you a PM with a link to the seller I use. He has 100 percent feedback for over twenty two thousand sales. The link I'm sending is the exact same one I bought and am using in several models, the Salzo Galactica, Bandai Falcon, Moebius Batmobile, etc.
Could you please send me that link as well?

Is there a difference between those shield generators and the Zevezda ones?
No seams for one thing...It's hard to tell from this image but there are also alternating raised and lowered panels as on the "real" thing. The bottom also better approximates the "real" thing but only to a point since the ladder areas really need photoetch to replicate them. I did build something like that on the support structure so with a wash it will look pretty close. The pointed arays surrounding the top are obviously overscale, but they're better than the kit part.

Couldn't hold out any longer!
Was determined to hold out till the Revell rebox but with the suggested Euro price being not much cheaper than buying from EBay, it was a no brainer.
There's been some pretty good prices recently, so went for it.

Nice build Robiwon... seeing that you have started to drill the light floods, how thick is the plastic around the hangar?
I'm still awaiting for my kit to arrive, but plan to deepen the hangar a bit on my build.
Being a bit of a novice in SDs, I was wondering how much work it would require to mod a Zvezda SD into an ok ESB Avenger? I really like the look of its deck and the way the shield gens rest on the slanted deck roof, and am not big fan of the platformed ones from the kit.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back