New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

Just got mine today - first thought on opening.... Why is the box so big?? It will fit in one literally half the size!

Second thought - WHY have they bothered with the paints and brush? Seriously who is gong to use those?

Still, I'm happy 8-D

Just got mine today - first thought on opening.... Why is the box so big?? It will fit in one literally half the size!

Second thought - WHY have they bothered with the paints and brush? Seriously who is gong to use those?

Still, I'm happy 8-D

You know, i honestly think revell doesn't take scifi/star wars modelers seriously enough.

I mean, look what they do, most of their kits are pretty rough with almost no details, snap fast small scales, and more oriented to lazy / beginners modellers,

then, all their masters series are cheap re-boxes for another companies, fine-molds.. Zvezda. (cheap because the package, compare this revell edition with the zvezda one, but hey, if this means saving some bucks, i'm okey with that)
and for some of those models, they include all needed inside (whatever they consider "all") like if it was some kind of "toy" , to build it straight out of the box

anyways.. it's better than nothing :unsure, i guess.

Last edited:
I have seen three types of white LEDs. They are Warm White (yellowish tint), Sun White (not quite as yellow), and then Cool White (bluish tint). I think a build utilizing all three would be interesting along with the occasional red LED fiber thrown in with the majority being the Warm White.

Hmmm.....I have all of those except the Sun White....

I think the first seller i bought from mistakenly sent me plain "white" , "natural white" or "neutral white" LEDs..

Here they are next to a true warm white micro-SMT led..

View attachment 724197

Robiwon hooked me up with this seller that delivered the warm white color that i wanted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401244425934

I also ordered Cool White LEDs for the hanger..definitely more blueish.. here is what they look like for reference.. not as blue in person as in the picture though..

View attachment 724198

Thanks both of you for the explanation. It would seem that Bright white in my book is the same as Sun or Natural/Plain, being less yellow and more harsh. That helps knowing some alternative terms. In 3D rendering cool white enhanced the look of scale on a model partly because of the appearance of more rapid fall off. Wondering if the same effect would work in real life on this kit. The only place I can see using the bright white might be the engines?

The normal, most common, white LEDs is what I used for my engines.

Attachments

• 0325170938b.jpg
    0325170938b.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 153
As an interesting aside on the light-colour discussion, someone posted some pics from Chronicles on the Zvezda ISD Facebook page. Of particular interest to me was that the engines are clearly the same warm white as most of the rest of the lights on the model, not blue! As far as I can tell, blue seems to be a photographic artifact that occurs in the lens flare when shooting more or less directly into the halogen bulbs. Just going off memory, I think the only time we really see blue on the ISD is on the flyover shot in SW - every other shot I can think of in ESB or Jedi is a warm white, or slightly yellow.

Hey if at any point the engines appeared blue in the screen, then my build is indeed screen accurate! :D
Well, to be fair, it's why everywhere else that I've mentioned this, I've been careful to say 'if accuracy to the studio model is what you're after'. Because, yeah, absolutely, the impression from the films you'd get is that they're blue, no question. Also wanted to say, I love how much weathering you managed to get on your build - still looks absolutely right, but gives you more depth and visual interest. Love it!

I asked my local hobby shop about a US release. The guy that does the ordering couldn't find anything indicating a US release is upcoming.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

You are the lucky guys who can officially buy the Bandai kits! We in Germany only have the crappy Revell kits. And the Zvezda-SD in Revell boxing was out of stock so quickly that most of us didn't have the chance to buy one either.

You are the lucky guys who can officially buy the Bandai kits! We in Germany only have the crappy Revell kits. And the Zvezda-SD in Revell boxing was out of stock so quickly that most of us didn't have the chance to buy one either.

Gotta wonder about that whole limited edition thing. Maybe it was a requirement by Zvezda to maintain control of their IP. Maybe Revell did it to make sure they weren't left with lots of unsold stock, but if so, they must be kicking themselves now because once you call something limited you can't then churn out another batch to meet demand (and maintain your professional integrity...)

I suppose they could save face by reissuing without the poster and paints as a "standard issue" and still get loads more sales...

But with the demand for the Zvezda, and the demand for Bandai, you gotta HOPE some board members are actually going "so... why again are we continuing with all this build & play easy-kit cr@p?....."

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back