0123170527a.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 0123170527.jpg
    0123170527.jpg
    921.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 0123170528.jpg
    0123170528.jpg
    750.5 KB · Views: 232
Nice build Robiwon... seeing that you have started to drill the light floods, how thick is the plastic around the hangar?
I'm still awaiting for my kit to arrive, but plan to deepen the hangar a bit on my build.
Being a bit of a novice in SDs, I was wondering how much work it would require to mod a Zvezda SD into an ok ESB Avenger? I really like the look of its deck and the way the shield gens rest on the slanted deck roof, and am not big fan of the platformed ones from the kit.

The Zvezda kit is already a ESB Avenger kit...more or less. People that keep calling it a R1 SD are WRONG. The R1 SD is basically a supper detailed ANH Devestator SD while the Zvezda kit is really just an under detailed Avenger type. That is not meant as a negative to the kit just the most accurate way to describe it.

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Great looking build so far Robiwon and thanks for post pictures of the Tantive with the SD. Much appreciated ;)

Chris

Looks great Robiwon but I need to ask. Are the 0.5mm a good size or are they too big? Are the point of lights too big? Would 0.25 be a better choice? Perhaps is an effect of the camera? What you think?

Thanks guys, I actually meant to post this in my WIP thread! Scarecrow, 0.25mm would be more "in scale" but the drill bits break too easy. The pictures also make the lights look much brighter than they are in person. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the look so far.

The Zvezda kit is already a ESB Avenger kit...more or less. [...]
Chris
Thanks for your insight Dobber.
Guess I have been focusing on the "less" part - ie those shield gens/sensor geodes platforms
I have since been comparing the conning tower's face with shots of the ESB 8footer and I believe it could with a bit of detail work, make a convincing Avenger.

Thanks for your insight Dobber.
Guess I have been focusing on the "less" part - ie those shield gens/sensor geodes platforms
I have since been comparing the conning tower's face with shots of the ESB 8footer and I believe it could with a bit of detail work, make a convincing Avenger.

Oh absolutely :) the kits tower face really doesn't match any SD type...but it's closer to the Avenger type than the Devestator. For what it's worth, he Devestator type has the globes that angle out while the Avenger type's are Verticle. I look forward to see how yours comes out. :)

Chris

Question about the lighting choice - it seems most, if not all of the lit ISDs I've seen from people gravitate toward the pure or even cool white. When thinking where I want to go with mine, I've always thought warm white would make more sense, given I think the Avenger studio model was lit with incandescent bulbs (Executor was florescents if I remember my ILM history, and therefore quite rightly in the blue-white zone). Thoughts?

Cool. I may pick one of those up. Not sure yet. I see the landing gear boxes, does it have any other surface detail? Its hard to tell.

Cool. I may pick one of those up. Not sure yet. I see the landing gear boxes, does it have any other surface detail? Its hard to tell.

This thing is tiny....like the size of the nail on my index finger small. Not much detail on it, but enough.

I think with a little white paint, and a light wash enough detail will come out.

Attachments

• IMG_8271.JPG
    IMG_8271.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:
This thing is tiny....like the size of the nail on my index finger small. Not much detail on it, but enough.

I think with a little white paint, and a light wash enough detail will come out.

IMG_8271.JPG

Is that a real Falcon or one of those Lee Press-On Falcons? :D

Attached Thumbnail is no joke there. Yes it's only about a half in long. The engine grills and cut outs are there, but that's it...no sense in putting piping detail at this scale...

Yep, it's a tiny little bugger. I think one could make the high spots stand out with a little drybrushing or a wash, but not much there.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back