Millennium Falcon studio Scale repaint..... Master Replicas

Flyscriber

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Now then, heres another scary proposition. I have here a MR Falcon, probably the best MR product by far. It already has a decent (ish) paint job, but in a couple of days it should have an awesome one. I must admit it is now finished, but I will post the procedure for anyone who would like some pointers to do the same to theirs.
First off I needed to find out what was possible in when removing the original paintwork. I tried a few different thinners on the surface and decided the only one which had any effect on those horrible fat arsed black streaks was a standard cellulose cleaning thinner.
I applied it to the streaks with a cloth and rubbed carefully until only the streaks lifted off. As the client wanted this to be a fairly cheap repaint, so no stripping back to the base all over, just remove offensive marks and redo them (yeah right, !!)

So here are a couple of images after the streaks have been removed and no paint applied.
a1.jpga2.jpgf3.jpgf4.jpgf5.jpg
I managed to remove all of the offensive yellow from the top turret and nearly all the fat streaks, so this was a very successful strip job. I decided to leave the majority of the panel colours as I didn't mind them so much, they seemed fairly accurate and would be bleded in eventually to match the studio model as much as possible. Im going for super anal detailing if I can. Theres so much to redo on this model.

Hers some more images from the next days work
20161004_142323.jpgsome new streaks going on over the cleaned areas. The lower hull on the Falcon has completely different colours than the top. IM not talking about the hull colour, although that is a fair bit whiter than the top, but the weathering streaks are a lot more back, and have a much more defined look to them. Personally I think they are a bit to Black and White, but they are like that in the reference material, so it has gone on in the same way. Rust areas are made better with the addition of some weathering and careful airbrushing, and a shed load of signatures and pencil squares and double lines black squares etc etc.
b6.jpg20161004_161257.jpgI cleaned the cockpit up more than the rest of the model as the paint job was sooo bad on there.

Hey Ollois , I just noticed something in the 2nd picture on your post above . Please correct me me if I'm wrong , but that is a photo of an actual MR Falcon underside right ?
If so , was the turret frame always in that position/orientation ? ... asking 'cause if it is , then maybe that's where Deagostini got it wrong originally too . After all Steve D was a major consultant right . Not trying to start anything , I'm just curious . Cheers Ged

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly do you think they get wrong?

I love seeing these reprints and look forward to more pictures.

Stormy320 , I'm referring to the orientation of the frame on the bottom gun turret window . If that's how it came out on the original MR Falcon , and Steve D. worked on that , as well as the Deagostini model , then perhaps - the realignment issue we had with the Deagostini supplied top turret is explained . Just wondering .

20161029_123151.jpg20161029_123200.jpg20161029_123208.jpg20161029_123216.jpg
here's a few more shots of Ollois finished falcon.
I a just finishing off a video of the finished paint job and comparisons to the MR paint job and the original Falcon paint as well. I hope to get it on here asap.

Hi again folks
Here's a little video of the falcon finished. I hope I didn't g on to long about stuff in it.

I'm looking forward to the next repaint soon.

View attachment 698393 It's a truly awesome re-paint, really hard to hand over these expensive lumps of resin but I totally trusted Flyscriber to modify and repaint my whole Studio Scale Master Replicas Fleet... Y-Wing to Gold Leader, Snowspeeder to Rogue 3, AT-AT to simply stunning and the Signature Falcon here... My collection feels like they have been stolen from a Star Wars Exhibition...
if you have the funds then get Flyscriber to modify and repaint your model, he is extremely skilled in this art and treats these superb replicas with the respect they deserve... Nice work Andy!!!

View attachment 698397View attachment 698400View attachment 698401View attachment 698398View attachment 698399Thanks for letting me paint them Olly, I'm glad your still loving them.

Thanks Ollois! YEAH, that sounds like a huge headache, but one that was well worth it! I think I'm going to build my own, something very much like these though!

Thanks for your detailed reply Ollois . Didn't know if that ' mis-orientation ' of the bottom turret window frame was a ' one -off ' , or represented all MR Falcons . Either way , I think that's where Deagostini got it wrong with the FULL run parts ( we never received the limited U.K. Test run/pieces ) . I really do envy your collection . Are you participating in the Deagostini build as well , if so , how're you finding it compared to your Beautiful MR ( brilliantly repainted ! ) .?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back