Nintendo switch

EmmaInCandyland

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Omg you guys, I am so excited about this! Nintendo did it again! They'll never stop being innovative! So that is why they decided to go with cartridges! Brillant!

What do you guys think??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really hyped, can't wait! I'm wondering what the price is gonna be and whether there is a way to play the Wii U games we already own on it. Also I just saw this image with all the 3rd party support it'll be getting, I don't think they've had this much since the Super Nintendo days.
14721489_10154195749751715_8059373273091616975_n.jpg
Also really looking forward to the new games, in the trailer it seemed like a new Splatoon (you can choose different hair styles), Mario Kart (King Boo as a playable character) and Super Mario.

it's about time they did somthing like this.

What they REALLY need to do is simplify the controls for the older games. i don't want to have three different older controllers around to play them all.

I also REALLY need them to release their ENTIRE classic library. how many times can you be excited about the same games released again?

Oh my God....that is the most perfect system ever...

Who know what I'd love to see? A huge 2-d mega man epic. One that's story driven like metroid. Different planets. Space stations...that sort of thing

I love Nvidia!!

I think the console will be pretty awesome by itself. It's like a 2 in 1 console. Home console and portable console! Pretty smart... I love how Nintendo always dare. There's never been 2 of the same console. I mean Sony and Microsoft just make PC in boxes pretty much :p. They just make what they know of. You got to give some props to Nintendo for making the unmade. The new partnerships are great! Finally, they'll be a bit more in the competition game now :p

Meh.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I was a day one buyer of the Wii and the Wii U with the same type of promises as this thing...innovative games and play styles with lots of third party support.

What we got was mediocre games that shoehorned needless motion or second screen screen controls on us just because they could. That third party support also basically amounted to nothing.

So, while I think it looks cool, recent Nintendo history, for me, tells me to tread carefully. I'm guessing I'll get one on day one, and within six months have forgotten I own it...just like my Wii and Wii U.

Meh.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I was a day one buyer of the Wii and the Wii U with the same type of promises as this thing...innovative games and play styles with lots of third party support.

What we got was mediocre games that shoehorned needless motion or second screen screen controls on us just because they could. That third party support also basically amounted to nothing.

So, while I think it looks cool, recent Nintendo history, for me, tells me to tread carefully. I'm guessing I'll get one on day one, and within six months have forgotten I own it...just like my Wii and Wii U.

My Wii got more use than the Wii U.

I don't think the graphical upgrades are really that noticeable anymore either.

I remember when you NOTICED the jump from 8-16- 128.

Now, not so much.

The main reason they go with cartridges or their custom discs is money. They get double royalties from every sale. If you make a game for the system, you have to pay a royalty for publishing a title for the game AND a royalty for using the proprietary media.

The main reason they go with cartridges or their custom discs is money. They get double royalties from every sale. If you make a game for the system, you have to pay a royalty for publishing a title for the game AND a royalty for using the proprietary media.

And good luck trying to pirate a damn cartridge. I want to be excited for this...but after the colossal failure of the Wii U, Im REALLY skeptical. I would really love for Nintendo to knock off the gimmicks, make a 1080p console with a controller that I can hook up to my big ass TV. What audience is this catering to? Kids? Adults? People that take public transit? Look at those little side controllers, not only are they TINY (I have big hands) but like those things arent going to get lost? Broken? Is the portable version going to have the same power as the big screen version? Raises a lot of questions.

What audience is this catering to? Kids? Adults? People that take public transit? Look at those little side controllers, not only are they TINY (I have big hands) but like those things arent going to get lost? Broken? Is the portable version going to have the same power as the big screen version? Raises a lot of questions.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm too would be very cautious about this. Beyond just the tiny screen for that one thing and the dinky controllers, them wanting to use the Wii-U tablet/controller thing like a portable gaming device leaves me dubious, at the least. Lemme put forward a thought: So with the people that carry not just their phones but laptop/tablets with them already, what would be the incentive in carrying an extra device with them, of relative similar size to their other devices, but carries a limited function and that's to play exclusive Nintendo games? And that's not considering the extra accessories that may or may not be needed to use the thing, on top of what needs to be carried with the other devices people already carry to use them.

I respect what Nintendo is trying to do and has been trying to do for the past 10 years or so: make gaming fun and easily accessible for everyone and not just a select, niche group. For most part, it's worked out fairly well for them; the Wii was a smash hit and ushered this trend of motion-control functions, which is at the heart of the current VR push, that everyone and their mother seems to be trying sell as the next "innovative" thing. I can't say if this thing is the step-forward the company needs or if it will be a success, that all remains to be seen, but the thought of all this tech, just to play exclusive games, leaves me a bit cautious.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm too would be very cautious about this. Beyond just the tiny screen for that one thing and the dinky controllers, them wanting to use the Wii-U tablet/controller thing like a portable gaming device leaves me dubious, at the least. Lemme put forward a thought: So with the people that carry not just their phones but laptop/tablets with them already, what would be the incentive in carrying an extra device with them, of relative similar size to their other devices, but carries a limited function and that's to play exclusive Nintendo games? And that's not considering the extra accessories that may or may not be needed to use the thing, on top of what needs to be carried with the other devices people already carry to use them.

I respect what Nintendo is trying to do and has been trying to do for the past 10 years or so: make gaming fun and easily accessible for everyone and not just a select, niche group. For most part, it's worked out fairly well for them; the Wii was a smash hit and ushered this trend of motion-control functions, which is at the heart of the current VR push, that everyone and their mother seems to be trying sell as the next "innovative" thing. I can't say if this thing is the step-forward the company needs or if it will be a success, that all remains to be seen, but the thought of all this tech, just to play exclusive games, leaves me a bit cautious.

Very well said, I couldnt agree more. :)

And good luck trying to pirate a damn cartridge. I want to be excited for this...but after the colossal failure of the Wii U, Im REALLY skeptical. I would really love for Nintendo to knock off the gimmicks, make a 1080p console with a controller that I can hook up to my big ass TV. What audience is this catering to? Kids? Adults? People that take public transit? Look at those little side controllers, not only are they TINY (I have big hands) but like those things arent going to get lost? Broken? Is the portable version going to have the same power as the big screen version? Raises a lot of questions.

Pirating cartridges is actually possible, it's just a matter of pirating them onto something that the console can read. I remember back in the SNES days people would rip cartridges and place their contents onto a floppy and you'd have like a dozen or so games on one floppy. Of course, I'm sure that Nintendo has learned their lesson from back then and won't allow the Stick to be able to use any "foreign" media but I wouldn't put it past people to come up with a hack that would allow you to, say, play ripped games off of an SD card.

Pirating cartridges is actually possible, it's just a matter of pirating them onto something that the console can read. I remember back in the SNES days people would rip cartridges and place their contents onto a floppy and you'd have like a dozen or so games on one floppy. Of course, I'm sure that Nintendo has learned their lesson from back then and won't allow the Stick to be able to use any "foreign" media but I wouldn't put it past people to come up with a hack that would allow you to, say, play ripped games off of an SD card.

True, but I think the amount would cut down a helluva lot more than downloadable games, cause like you said, while possible, I would imagine would be a huge pain in the ass. I for one wouldnt do that, cause I dont know how, and Im too lazy to learn. :lol

True, but I think the amount would cut down a helluva lot more than downloadable games, cause like you said, while possible, I would imagine would be a huge pain in the ass. I for one wouldnt do that, cause I dont know how, and Im too lazy to learn. :lol

That's why you rely on someone who knows someone. :D

Looks great in the promo but the same old Nintendo question remains - will developers actually want to make games for the system or will we just get yet another Zelda, Mario Kart, and Super Mario? Nintendo comes up with some great hardware ideas but then no one really seems to want to make games for the system.

I wish they would just make a system that would play the entire past library of games from the NES on up. I would buy that without a doubt. This new system looks interesting but I think I need a controller bigger than a key fob and a good assorted of games available on launch day.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back