Nintendo switch

Do you think we will have instant access to all of the comparable e-store stuff?

Because if I can fire up HD windwaker the second I finish breath of the wild, I'm good

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

first nintendo console i don't really care about.

the graphics stopped being wow. the gimmicks stopped being wow. it's just a new box with updated hardware now.

i can wait a while until they come more in stock

I had it on preorder, then after much pondering cancelled it before it shipped this week wondering whey I even preordered it.

There's not enough going for it right now warranting needing this hardware on day one. Maybe down the road, but I'm not a Zelda fanboy, so waiting a while isn't going to hurt me any.

I did the same, the only game I'd want right now is Zelda and I can get it on the Wii U. That money I saved by canceling the preorder went towards bills and a new bed. I'll be getting one later on but every time I get a console as soon as it launches they wear out on me in a year or two.

I never get any new consoles until they've been in the wild for at least 6 months to let them work out all of the inevitable kinks. I got a Wii U, which was a complete waste because I think I bought 5 games for it and it just sits gathering dust. I hated the gimmicky controller and any worthwhile games that came out for it, I just got for a different system. What should have happened with their controller is that it should have let you take games on the go like the Switch does, but instead, it was just an overpriced gimmick that took your attention off the big screen and onto the small one. That's why I won't even consider a Switch until at least summer, maybe Christmas.

Nintendo needs to make a decision. Either they need to be a kid-friendly console manufacturer or they need to go up against Playstation and Xbox. You can't have both. So they have neither. Nintendos systems have been vastly inferior technology and power-wise and they really haven't had a lot of really great games either. So why buy their systems?

Nintendo needs to make a decision. Either they need to be a kid-friendly console manufacturer or they need to go up against Playstation and Xbox. You can't have both. So they have neither. Nintendos systems have been vastly inferior technology and power-wise and they really haven't had a lot of really great games either. So why buy their systems?

Because Nintendo also makes Games and they're usually pretty awesome.

Nintendo doesn't want to compete. That's why they released their "next gen" console earlier than Sony and Microsoft. In fact, Reggie Fils Aime implied that they cared not to. Let's be honest, I don't think they can compete anymore because they want to remain family friendly and refuse to sell consoles at the price of their competitors. I don't understand what the market is like in Japan, but in my opinion, people end up paying hundreds of dollars for PS and Xbox anyway. Why not for a great Nintendo console?

Oh well. They seem to have this idea of "innovating" the gaming experience every single time so far up their ass that they're only after the casual gamer market. With the Wii, it was a success because motion controls were a new thing. But gaming on a tablet or a smartphone? Trying to capitalize on that gaming experience [again], I hope they have success with the Switch.

What Nintendo needs to do is say to hell with it and make a console that's more powerful than the ps4 or the xbox one. They need to take risks like they did with the older systems, they also need to make nice with third party companies like they used to for some games that'll get attention. The problem is nintendo's not taking risks anymore and seems to want to slide by with being mediocre.

Anything more powerful than the Xbox or the Playstation already exists and it's called a computer.

Despite what I think of their "innovations", Nintendo always takes risks; it's kinda their thing at this point. That explains the Wii, WiiU, and now the Switch, but I don't think it's so much a matter of "risks for risk sake" but whether or not it works. It's too early to say what will come of the Switch but, lately, I think they just lack a positive direction for them to move in. The Switch is an amalgam of something that worked, the Wii, and something that didn't work, the WiiU, and it's Nintendo looking to tap into that zeitgeist that the Wii managed to tap in to but, again, I feel that it's missing that focus that drove the success behind the Wii (which was due solely to one man) and it was that everybody should be able to play it, "Moms should like it". I don't think I can say it as well as this video though, which was a tribute to Satoru Iwata.

From a market standpoint, it isn't wise to go after just the hardcore niche because that's not enough to keep the business afloat. They're good for the support but all hardcore gamers started off as casual gamers at one point and that makes the casual crowd a lot more appealing. I don't think that means to give up that hardcore crowd completely, there should be games that challenge and satiate that crowd and to help bring some of the casual crowd further up the food chain, but whether or not hitting that balance with the Switch remains to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because Nintendo also makes Games and they're usually pretty awesome.

Sometimes. But they could just make those same games for other systems, just like Sony did after the Dreamcast. If you're going to build a console, you need to build a competitive console. The WII U was a disaster. Every single one of their systems is a low-end console with a gimmick. Sometimes the gimmick works, like the Wii. Sometimes it utterly fails, like the Wii U. But you know that the specs will come in far below the PS and Xbox every time. It's time to change that.

that's because the Wii U you couldn't even use the screen for wii games which kind of defeated the purpouse of the built inscreen. but it was nice not to need a tv to play.

Anything more powerful than the Xbox or the Playstation already exists and it's called a computer.

All consoles are well below a dedicated gaming computer. There is plenty of room for improvement for Nintendo, even if they just made a system comparable to existing PS and Xbox machines. But they don't. Even though they put their systems out early, their systems are usually worse than existing generation Sony and Microsoft systems. They are always at least a generation behind.

Despite what I think of their "innovations", Nintendo always takes risks; it's kinda their thing at this point. That explains the Wii, WiiU, and now the Switch, but I don't think it's so much a matter of "risks for risk sake" but whether or not it works. It's too early to say what will come of the Switch but, lately, I think they just lack a positive direction for them to move in. The Switch is an amalgam of something that worked, the Wii, and something that didn't work, the WiiU, and it's Nintendo looking to tap into that zeitgeist that the Wii managed to tap in to but, again, I feel that it's missing that focus that drove the success behind the Wii (which was due solely to one man) and it was that everybody should be able to play it, "Moms should like it". I don't think I can say it as well as this video though, which was a tribute to Satoru Iwata.

Those aren't risks, those are gimmicks. Sometimes they work, as you said, sometimes they don't. Where the Wii succeeded was both the motion control, but also the wealth of really good games that were available for the system. I've noticed that every generation of console, I buy less and less games. I was sorting through boxes of old games and the most I bought, I think because I didn't actually count, was for the PS2. Second was for the Wii. I bought a total of 5 games for the Wii U. That's pathetic.

From a market standpoint, it isn't wise to go after just the hardcore niche because that's not enough to keep the business afloat. They're good for the support but all hardcore gamers started off as casual gamers at one point and that makes the casual crowd a lot more appealing. I don't think that means to give up that hardcore crowd completely, there should be games that challenge and satiate that crowd and to help bring some of the casual crowd further up the food chain, but whether or not hitting that balance with the Switch remains to be seen.

It isn't wise to only go after the hardcore niche, but if all you do is try for casual gamers, you're going to fail as well. You have to go after everyone. Like it or not, hardcore gamers buy a lot more games than casual ones. They are a lot more passionate than casual gamers. It's like comic books. Marvel and DC know that their bread and butter is the hardcore fans. There are indy companies who want to go after people who have never read comics before. They never get even close to the success of Marvel and DC.

I picked one up at Target today.

It's cool. It's well built, feels solid in the hands, and seems to run smoothly. The touchscreen works well, and the controls seem to accomplish their goals. That said, it feels awkward in my hands...it's like it's too thin or something. The analog stick on the right side is awkwardly placed as well, which is the main contributor to the awkward feeling. I can clearly see why they had to make it this way, otherwise you'd have ended up with one of the sides having the stick on the "wrong" side when you are using them as two separate controllers.

I picked up Zelda, then bought two games from the eShop. All three pieces of software are pretty solid and work well.

For me this was purely an impulse buy. I didn't preorder it, I didn't pay any attention to the launch news really at all. What sold me was the fact that I enjoy playing games on my phone/tablet while my wife watches TV, so this will give me the option to play some more substantial games.

The potential, in my opinion, is clearly here. I didn't think it would be, but after playing it for a while today I believe it could be great...but it's all going to hinge on the software that releases for it. I could really see myself using it as more of a "fun" console...but games that are just plain fun. I find worn my XB1 I typically buy more serious games and end up taking them very seriously, and from time to time that actually negatively impacts the fun factor...so I'll keep getting my Battlefield and Halo games on XB1, but I'll buy other types of games on the Switch.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back