Disney's Haunted Mansion Candle holding grotesque sculpt/mold/cast build thread

Pretty much finished up the sculpt and added some details. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. There are some slight discrepancies but I have to remember the intended goal of this is to have a very close replica for display in our own mansions. So slight size and proportion adjustments have been made.I will attempt to make a multi part mold as to retain the integrity of having a single cast model. Yeah, I know what some of you mold guys might think but I know this can be done... so I slathered him in a coat of rubber to get the party started.

IMG_9736.JPGIMG_9737.JPGIMG_9739.JPGIMG_9740.JPGIMG_9742.JPGIMG_9743.JPG

You my friend are an exceptional artist.
Amazing work of an amazing piece.
Sign me up if they become available.
Robert

Gargoyle butt covered in rubber. So I am taking my time to make a strong mold by building up the mother mold walls and having the rubber be part of the registers so that the rubber doesn't slip out from the mother mold. This should enable me to work in sections so that the mold will be able to cast a single unit rather than separate parts that need to be assembled later on.
IMG_0133.JPG

Also, Because my candle sticks easily accommodate AA batteries as far as candle solutions, my ideal situation would be to have a flicker candle that is battery operated and remote controlled.

then I see these!
https://www.amazon.com/Top-Race-LIT...rd_wg=xxt0I&psc=1&refRID=VMW706AG34E5GE2DXBDT

It's been a little time but progress marches on! With vacation and Christmas I had only a few days to work on this. As far as the mold is concerned I'm about half way. Again, I'm trying to make it so that the whole figure can be cast in one piece with an armature in it. This way there is less finishing and less likely to have parts break off.

The candles are about done. I ordered some of those single battery tree candles and they seem to work real nice. Since they are so bright and I wanted to subdue them with a blob of silicone. A little paint and they look pretty close to the park versions. they do not photograph too well though but you can get the idea.

Hopefully in a few weeks I will have a complete gargoyle casting ready to show.

IMG_1179.jpegIMG_1268.jpegIMG_1177.jpegIMG_1263.jpeg

IMG_1266.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
IMG_1334.JPGIMG_1335.JPGIMG_1336.JPGIMG_1337.JPG

Been a busy few weeks with few updates. But... there is a mold. Even with 20 plus years of experience a mold is never easy to make. Buts it's pretty much done.

I think i will do gel coat as a skin layer then rotocast resin to strengthen it followed by foam fill backing. Of course an armature will be needed. With any clay based sculpture mold the master never survives. But it looks kind of cool

I saw the pic first and went....Nooooo. Thought there had been an accident before I read the post :). Sure looks great!

I'm at the beginning stages of making this gargoyle. That being said, what should I use for the skeleton to hold its shape?? Also i'm considering using something more lightweight: Crayola Model Magic. Any tips or suggestions??

So Awesome! I have a few of the ones that were offered as kits years ago but I Love the design of yours. If or when you decided to offer any I would definitely be interested.

GREAT WORK!

Finally a big update for this project.

Casting:
Here is the first beast being cast. I use tinted gel coat for the impression layer. I followed it with fiberglass and resin. Arms, feet and ears filled with casting resin completely encasing the armature.
IMG_1411.JPG IMG_1431.JPG

the copper armature (shown with no gel coat for reference)
IMG_1404.JPG

Body is filled with expanding foam (seen here coming up the neck) the white crap is extra casting resin I spilled around.
IMG_1434.JPG

The rough cast:

IMG_1439.JPG

A few pics of it being cleaned up and some cool candle test shots...
IMG_1441.JPGIMG_1442.JPGIMG_1445.JPGIMG_1441.JPG

the cleaned up casting being painted.

First coat antique bronze spray:
IMG_1702.JPG

white and phthalo green for patina. I used some thicker paint with phthalo blue. then finally dry brushing some metallic antique bronze acrylics.
IMG_1705.JPGIMG_1708.JPGIMG_1709.JPG

and some final shots in the full daylight.
IMG_1718.JPGIMG_1720.JPGIMG_1722.JPGIMG_1716.JPG

Each beast come equipped with a tail that can be used to tie down in back for installation (these guys are front heavy - especially with the resin candles)
IMG_1713.JPG

And some pictures of mine above my TV Yes - I actually watched the movie too (I don't see why people didn't like it - I thought it was pretty neat)

Shown in next post because of image limit... wait... never mind - I can't seem to delete these attachments. Oh well. You can turn your head I guess.

Final measurements for this guy is 20" head to tail, 19" arm to arm and 27" tall with candles. I would say about 85-90% actual size. Perhaps someone with a 'real' casting can confirm that? I just remember being in Disneyland this last December and realizing I was not at 100%... but in a typical house it sure has 100% presence.

I will also add that I am not sure I like the paint job. With the light wall behind and too many house lights on the beast looks too shiny. I think I will darken the overall look of it for my personal viewing preferences.

Attachments

• IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1727.JPG
    IMG_1727.JPG
    974.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    833.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    835.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Very, very well done!

As to paint have you tried ModernMasters Metal Effects paint? They have an excellent bronze with bronze powder in it so with a reagent it actually patinas. They have a blue and a green patina option. I use it all the time and most recently on my Haunted Mansion Snake Door Handle project.

Very, very well done!

As to paint have you tried ModernMasters Metal Effects paint? They have an excellent bronze with bronze powder in it so with a reagent it actually patinas. They have a blue and a green patina option. I use it all the time and most recently on my Haunted Mansion Snake Door Handle project.

I have used that before. I guess I like the control of acrylics. The dry brushed bronze is metal flake paint though. I love how your handles came out.

Best of luck! This project came out fantastic. If I did not already have one I'd sure be interested (I can't even figure out where to display this one :) ). I keep wanting to assemble mine and also get a 3D model made up. Someday :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back