Abominable Snowman (Bumble-1964 Rudolph Build)-WIP

Nismo

With 2016 Halloween around the corner we ask my 2 1/2 year old Daughter what she wanted to be for Halloween (Last year she was Ludo from Labyrinth)
See Thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=249666

So she says " YUUUUUKON!!! and BUMBLE!!!!" She's been watching that movie since June.

I told my wife this could actually be pretty cool since my Daughter is 33" tall and I am 6'-1" I am pretty sure I can build and almost true to scale Bumble with her being Yukon.

First I set out to get some screen shots and found a few where Yukon Cornelius is standing beside bumble.

I then imported the pics into Autocad and scaled Yukon to be 33" tall and seeing what that would make bumble size wise.

and that worked out to be

7' 1" tall 3' 4 3/4" wide at the Chest with an arm span of 7 feet

I knew this would be huge....but not impossible.

so my daughter and I began what she calls "BIG BUMBLE BUILD"

Step 1 -
Out of Autocad I printed a 1/12 scale version just on paper and traced it out on cardboard so that we could make a 1/12 scale version that I could make all my patterns off of.

HW2016-6_zpslmliblvk.jpg

Step 2-
She an I made our little bumble out of Monster Clay medium
HW2016-1_zps1vfcbm7k.jpg

After this I put tape on him and created my patterns....scanned them back into autocad and scaled them back up to full size printed them out on my large format plotter and started cutting my foam parts.

(I have pics of this process I may add later if their is questions about it.)

Foam Assembly -

using 3/4" L200 Foam white and Barge Rubber Cement

Beginnings of Body
HW2016-8_zpss6huxmqt.jpg

Foam head with Blue painter tape to mock up the face and mouth
HW2016-18_zpshhqjpxln.jpg

Torso and Head checking scale with Daughter (who I call Ace ..so she will be called Ace for the rest of this thread)
HW2016-5_zpsy0xhebpl.jpg

Ace inspects my glue job
HW2016-2_zpsbkcypwld.jpg

first time working with Barge or the Foam but it's pretty east to work with as long as you have a game plan- just be sure of good ventilation and wear a painter mask when working with it.

Back- cut the seam in it so I can get in and out of the costume and I have 4 buckles on the inside to clip it back together-
HW2016-3_zpsbeqii8jg.jpg

Here you can see the buckles and the Harness I built into the suit - along with the Barge cement they are bolted in the 3/8 carriage bolts Stainless Steel (so I won't get rust if they ever get wet.
HW2016-12_zpsfxogbcsw.jpg

Body complete- the legs and arm section between the shoulder and forearm is 1 1/2 upholstery foam so it has better flexibility- You can also see the side vent I put on each side of the belly to help move air thru the suit...it will be covevred with fabric and unseen but the material we are using will still let some air in and with the open space on the back help push heat out keeping me comfortable.
HW2016-4_zpslswnxt0u.jpg

Thanks for the comments!

now back to work!

carved the face parts out of some more L200 and glued them all in and cut the mouth out.
HW2016-13_zps7iijx0bl.jpg

Base coat of paint on face and fur added (sewing done by my wonderful wife)
HW2016-14_zpsky1vhkc4.jpg

Used some weather stripping I bought at Lowes to create the lips

HW2016-15_zpsz0okmbog.jpg

Painting Lips-used painters tap to keep from getting any on the fur
HW2016-16_zps81w0eybx.jpg

Ace helps out with painting the tongue red.
HW2016-17_zps0vee72ml.jpg

Still need to glue in the tongue and black mesh to hide my mug...but other than that it's pretty much done
eyes (pupils) are 1/8 inch craft foam to give it a little more dimension
HW2016-22_zpswc6hax1w.jpg

I used a Dremel to shape the teeth using the engraving kit think it's like $12 at lowes worked well you just can't be heavy handed cause if it get to much purchase in the roam it takes off on you. I did multiple test on scrap till i got the feel for it.

and Finished!

AGB0HW2016-BUMBLE_zpshnxpssmz.jpg

True to Scale Bumble and Yukon Cornelius

short vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYbyT7y07Xk

He is pretty light weight and not too hot inside still think I might install a small fan before the weekend - since his arms are self supporting I can pretty much walk casually inside the suit and I have the rope attached with velcro so if Ace takes off running I won't get pulled to the ground.

takes about 3 min to get in and out of so happy with the fit and ease of wear considering it's size and so far has been pretty durable.

Great job! You got his expression down too :) I've gotta get mine so that his eyes cross a little when he's just looking normally :lol

Great job! You got his expression down too :) I've gotta get mine so that his eyes cross a little when he's just looking normally :lol

THANKS!

Yeah I mocked it up with painters tape and free handed it till it looked right…since I don’t have moving parts I wanted to get the most expression out of a fixed face so I put one eye higher than the other and made the teeth asymmetricall to kinda capture that look when he moves his jaw back and forth.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back