Abominable Snowman (Bumble-1964 Rudolph Build)-WIP

And I was happy with my Mars Attacks costume... You killed it!
I'd love to see progress photos of the model/pattern making (if you have them)

HW2016-10.jpg

HW2016-7.jpg

So once I had my Clay Bumble I covered him with thin strips of masking tape and using a fine tip sharpie drew out my patterns (like dress making) and you only need to do one side cause you can just flip your patterns to get the other side. the little marks are to help line things up. At that point I took my exacto and carefully cut each pattern off and taped it to a piece of card stock. I then scanned the card stock into a digital file and imported that into Autocad where I scaled it up to full size and plotted them on my large format printer - you can do the same at a print shop as well if you do not have access to a CAD/Plotter

After I had my patterns it was just a matter of cutting them out and tracing them onto the foam.
also for a guideline I kept Clay Bumble and using my sharpie marked where each pattern went to use him as a guideline.

I started at the shoulder and worked down using the naming convention of

L1, L2 etc.... L meaning stage left 1 the pattern # and on the back side of those patterns I wrote R1 cause flipped they make the right side

only thing I ended up modifying was the legs cause they didn't allow for the thickness of the feet but it was an easy fix but overall it was a good way to create a large costume off a small model.

in the future I might even try doing this off a toy figure and see how that works -

hope this answered some questions for you.

Thank you for all the kind comments!

She and I will go to the festival Saturday so hopefully I will get more pics then of the completed costumes in action

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back