need help. a bit confused

Heatley2001

Hi everyone,

Im needing a bit of help. Im very new when it comes to this. I'm trying to measure my head for a cw flash cowl and also a casey jones one using pep files which i plan to then use to cut out of foam.

I've read and seen different ways of doing it and i've tried the different (around my head and also from the chin to the top of my head) ways but it seems either the print outs seem way to big or really small. There is a lot of talk about dividing it by a certain number and also multiplying it by a certain number then adding a number to it. It gets very confusing. So i'm not sure that the proper way is.

i'm using pepakura designer 4

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Scaling pep files can be a pain. I quit doing it like that, it hardly ever works. What I do and it pretty much works for me is find a piece like the eye area and mess around with the scale till it fits. Then print out the rest. Good luck

till it fits what?

do i find a eye area then try to scale it then print it out and see how it looks on me and use trial and error?

Hi Heatley,

what I did was put my head between two books on a table,pressing against nose and back of the head and then measure between books with tape.Then put your forehead on the table and put a book against each ear to measure between books.For the height you put the side of your head on the table,put a book under your chin and one against the top of your head,then measure (I'm sure there are more 'orthodox' methods of measuring,but I'm weird like that :D
JfCustom jams his head between the door and the doorpost,then puts a ruler down to measure.In theory,you need to fill in one dimension for pepakura and the rest will automatically be altered.
Ofcourse the design and shape of the helmet needs to be taken into account.For example: if the helmet is large,measure the dimension that is closest to either side of your head.
Foam thickness matters as well,so add the thickness of your foam to the outcome for all dimensions.

That's it in a 'nutshell'.I hope these hints will help.

Last edited:
till it fits what?

do i find a eye area then try to scale it then print it out and see how it looks on me and use trial and error?

Yes. Sorry I didn't explain it better. But yes. Scale and print out just the eye area. When you are satisfied with that, then print out the rest.

Do i print out the rest the same scale as I did the eye area?

Also which one should I be using height, width, depth or the scale option?

Do i print out the rest the same scale as I did the eye area?

Also which one should I be using height, width, depth or the scale option?

Yes print out the rest the same scale. So remember what you changed it to. As far as which one, it really doesn't matter because once you change one, the rest will automatically rescale itself.

which dimension would be best to use? height, width or depth?
I'd say depth,but then again if your helmet is squeezing the life out of your ears,you wouldn't be happy either :D
So pick one dimension and see what it does to the rest.If all dimensions eventually match or come close to what you have measured and written down,you print and assemble the paper version.
Remember: the design is supposed to fit around your head,so you'll have to have a piece (e.g. at the back of the head) that's detachable and can be attached with a magnet or something similar.

If I take a tape measure and go around my head the number I get will I divide that to find both width and depth?

I do have my height in mm

If I take a tape measure and go around my head the number I get will I divide that to find both width and depth?
I don't think so,because your head is elliptical rather than circular.If you have the correct height,then fill in that number in pepakura.The program will fill in the rest,which you can measure with the method I told you about.Just use two rigid objects to put your head between (if needed on a table to support the objects and your head) and measure the space in between objects.You can use this to get your other two dimensions.I hope that helps.

so for the past week ive been doing a lot of trial and error. I've been measuring the height of my head and also around. I've tried different methods people has mentioned.

But for some reason i still cant get the right measurements in. the cowls height has been way to tall and so has the depth. overall everything has been really huge.

am i missing a step or not doing it right? im having the hardest time with this.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back