Bandai TIE fighter

No glue necessary. They're basically a snap together, but more accurately a press together with a very tight tolerance for a plastic model.

If you chose glue, I believe the Tamiya cements will work.

TazMan2000

I'd recommend caution when gluing very tight joints that rely on 'deformation' for retention (where you see the plastic develop "white" stress marks.) For example, if the parts assemble using a pin and socket, you might want to ream out the socket for a slightly looser fit. Otherwise the stress applied by the pin on the socket might result in the socket fracturing when the cement (aka, solvent) is applied. You've seen this before if you've ever worked with stretched sprue & had it break at bends you'd added for piping detail...

R/ Robert

Some people might yell at me - but I use Zap a Gap for all my styrene kits. The wings in particular on that Tie will be problematic without at least some glue. I found that they wobbled a fair bit without it. I also found that the pegs securing the front of the "eyeball" to the back were too thick to allow it to go together. I had to hollow out the sockets by rotating a hobby knife a fair bit.

I just started this model. I haven't built a styrene kit in over 40 years, so I'm learning all over again. I love how much detail these Bandai kits have!
I figure since they included so much detail, I'd highlight some. In my imagination the green bits are recoil absorbing boots and the brass parts are heat-sinks.

Primer, enamel paints and weathering wash.

IMG_1281.JPG

I just started this model. I haven't built a styrene kit in over 40 years, so I'm learning all over again. I love how much detail these Bandai kits have!
I figure since they included so much detail, I'd highlight some. In my imagination the green bits are recoil absorbing boots and the brass parts are heat-sinks.

Primer, enamel paints and weathering wash.

View attachment 704518

Yes the Bandai kits are a cut above. I remember building the star wars kits back in the 70's. Panel gaps were huge, detail was minimal, but it did look like the movie props. The Bandai kits have ultra high detail, a perfect fit, and to boot, no glue is required. Back in the old days I always stuck well clear of the 'snap' together kits, but nowadays they are the new order.

Here's a pic of mine, just snapped together, no glue required.

9C270BAF-5CD3-4146-8F38-C3AC5BDC1B67_zps9k0jy8cb.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back