The Rubies Mod thread

batfan10

Sr Member
I thought it would be cool since Rubies it putting out some really cool items this year! Feel free to share any Mod from any Rubies release!

My first Rubies mod was when I got a resin Batman 89 Embelm to attach to the cowl. However now I have been working on some Batman V Superman items.
20161012_154047.jpg1476382742451.jpg
Got these today (They were free because of Targets deal on Halloween stuff *got an ironman mask with it*) They are small but they have potential!
20161013_225959.jpg

There are so many cool things out! Anyone else mod any of Rubies products? Anyone try the large foam batarangs?

I did the grappling gun as well. Fun piece. I'm gonna go and have it as I build my Knightmare Batman because... well who knows what's under that jacket.

IMG_0394.JPGIMG_0399.JPGIMG_0400.JPGIMG_0403.JPG

Did some more work on the gun. Im not so much a fan of these washes. I may try to use it as a drybrush tho to darken/enhance the wood effect in the handel.
20161014_200033.jpg
coatssnare How did you do that wood effect?! Thats amazing!

20161014_200033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the grapple gun. I haven't painted it yet though. I also found an Aquaman figure with the hooks that go with it yesterday at Walmart. I hope it's still there tomorrow. Lol

image.jpegimage.jpeg

All I've got on my phone at the moment. :lol I really need to sit down and finish this stuff. I've got the armored helmet sitting around waiting to be finished as well.

That batbranding came out really good! I am tempted to get one now! Do you have any good reference pics for painting?

Also one of those mini batatrangs (The backside looks charred but you'll see just one side anyway lol)
20161015_184131.jpg
For size comparison:
20161014_094311.jpg

Not gonna lie. I that was pics of your mod LOL Is that electrical tape on the handle. Im defiantly gonna make this!!! WOW! Any ideas how to get it light up red?

EDIT: Just bit the bullet and bought Auquaman. Even tho I dont want the figure (or spend 20 bucks) I figure if I didnt get it now I might not get it as they atleast wont have the grappling gun parts forever.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie. I that was pics of your mod LOL Is that electrical tape on the handle. Im defiantly gonna make this!!! WOW! Any ideas how to get it light up red?

It was one painted for the movie that wasn't used if I recall correctly. There are three LEDs in there, one white, two orange. You could probably open the Rubies up and rewire some better LEDs in.

It does look like electrical tape.. It's weird they have material covering that side of the handle. I didn't see that in the film.

Are they hard plastic or soft? I got this figure (because I have the Michael Keaton "Bruce Wayne/Batman Figure) I was debating using this hook too but I probably wont?
View attachment 673306View attachment 673307

The 3 folding parts are kinda soft the the post part is pretty stiff. The unmasked batfleck figure has hooks to. One is a semi shot hook with what looks like smoke added to make it look as if it were just fired. The second is more like a mid flight hook with line trailing behind it as if it's been shot out.

It was one painted for the movie that wasn't used if I recall correctly. There are three LEDs in there, one white, two orange. You could probably open the Rubies up and rewire some better LEDs in.

It does look like electrical tape.. It's weird they have material covering that side of the handle. I didn't see that in the film.
Im thinking maybe you can frost the plastic (in the pattern the light glow) and then spreypaint the edges so it will glow when the LED's are on? Did the button light up in the movie? Maybe they covered it? Granted when I fist saw it I thought it was a ring lol

I checked mine and it just comes with the Line one not the airblasting one :O I dont think im going to use it tho

Thanks! It's actually just the base coat.. Still needs all the weathering and detailing, just been super busy.

Here are a few good shots, and one of the grapple gun because why not.

View attachment 673182View attachment 673183View attachment 673184View attachment 673185View attachment 673186
that grapnel pic is definitely proof there are two versions of that grapnel. Don't know if this is a prototype, or a hero one or something else, but if you look at the tech manual pics or other pics of the prop from the D.C. Access video where they showed it, you can spot many small but significant differences !

Thanks Batfan10. I used 3 different colors of brown. With a foam brush, Dark base coat. Then a light coat vertically, wipe. Then a lighter coat vertically, wipe.
With the foam brush, I'd just do a thin line of a color up and down in random places, and then brush it down with the side of the foam brush.

Trial and error, never done it before.

Mr. Mold Maker looks awesome!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back