Boba Fett Helmet build

Deetz

With my First Order and original trilogyTie Helmet done I've started building myself a new Boba Fett helmet. The one I bought a few years ago is a nice cast but I think I can improve on it. I also want to be able to cast my own helmets, both of the dented version and all white prototype.

I've just started printing the parts for the helmet, but here are some renders of the finished model in 3D. More pics to follow as I get things printed.

I'm still working on the circuit board that goes in the back of the helmet as well and will post pics when completed.

Boba_fett06.jpg Boba_fett07.jpg Boba_fett09.jpg
Boba_fett10.jpg BobaFett_rangefinder.jpg MQ1_Drawing.gif

Started printing the pieces now and immediately found that the cheeks were not sunken in enough, so I've edited that and included a render. This also shows the dented version of the helmet. The perspex box on the range finder will eventually be cast out of a transparent plastic.

I really want to be able to route wires through the stalk so I'm going to redo that print as well. It will be printed in two sections so it can be cast, I think I'd regret it later if I don't add this channel for wiring.

I've also completed a 3d model of the circuit board. I've exaggerated the components to better to be able to print this since it's really quite small. We'll see how this goes. If it doesn't work I'll probably scratch build something out of and old electronic system. It's just fun to work in Modo and print things :p

Boba_Fett_print01.jpg Boba_Fett_print02.jpg Boba_fett11.jpg Boba_fett_mq1_circuit.jpg

Here's the helmet printed and glued together. I use E6000 glue but very sparingly so none squishes out of the sides being glued together, just enough to tack things in place. After that, I line the seams on the inside with epoxy to strengthen it.

Boba_Fett_print03.jpg Boba_Fett_print05.jpg Boba_Fett_print04.jpg Boba_Fett_print06.jpg Boba_Fett_print07.jpg

Finally completed smoothing the 3D prints and making moulds of them for the different versions I want to put on display. I've cast the helmet using Onyx liquid plastic. I'll post more pics of the ear pieces and RF shortly.

Boba_Fett_cast01.jpgBoba_Fett_cast02.jpgBoba_Fett_cast03.jpgBoba_Fett_cast04.jpgBoba_Fett_cast05.jpgBoba_Fett_cast06.jpgBoba_Fett_cast08.jpg

Here are the moulds used for the RF and ear pieces and some casts. The stalk was cold cast and polished a bit but I think I might use some fine steel wool and give it more of a brushed look than polished. I've drilled the connecting points for the ear piece and where the BNC connector will go. I made the BNC connector with aluminum rod and drilled the ports.
Boba_Fett_mould01.jpgBoba_Fett_mould02.jpgBoba_Fett_mould03.jpgBoba_Fett_mould04.jpgBoba_Fett_mould05.jpgBoba_Fett_mould06.jpgBoba_Fett_mould07.jpg

Primed and cut the visor for the helmet. This version will be the white prototype helmet, so I've filled in the dent. I also masked the visor area so the interior is not filled with white paint. That's not the actual visor installed yet.

boba_fett_primed01.jpgboba_fett_primed02.jpgboba_fett_visor.jpg

Your 3d model looks really great! I'm wondering how it looks porportionally from straight on and from a side profile. Do you have size measurements? Will the circuit board be built into the mold? Outstanding work so far Deetz!

Thanks Fettastic :)

Here is an ortho shot with measurements. I don't know the size of the original helmet, but this is about 5% larger than the cast I bought a few years ago. For me, it makes putting the helmet on easier with a little more room at the front with the cheek indents.

Boba_fett_ortho01.jpg

The circuit board is cast separately. I believe there are 2 versions between ESB and RTOJ. The ESB is blank at the bottom which is what I have cast. For the prototype and ROTJ versions, I will add the 2 painted LED's that protrude from the key slots. To me, I think it also looks better when cast separately and not moulded in one piece.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back