Blade Runner 2049, old and new blasters!

So now it's confirmed that the PKD will appear in the new movie... if the movie is a succes maybe we'll see new prop blasters on the market?

My main concern is the physical nature of the gun props in the new film. In 1982 the best way to have convincing firearms on screen was to have gunsmiths provide real firearms. Today studios commission digitally-designed, 3D-printed blasters, have the actors fake the recoil and put digital muzzle flashes in so they don't have to pay an armourer.

I want the new blaster to be a REAL firearm underneath, firing full-load blanks (maybe
with machined metal shrouds on it like the Glock-based Dredd Lawgiver or the Taurus 85-based pistol in Firefly) not some 3D printed lightweight which will stick out like a sore thumb in 4K resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's not all bad news about the new gun. Easy to make then if no actual real gun parts were used. Now, I'm sure that over the years guys on the RPF or Propsummit will produce a real shooter...just a matter of time;)

My main concern is the physical nature of the gun props in the new film. In 1982 the best way to have convincing firearms on screen was to have gunsmiths provide real firearms. Today studios commission digitally-designed, 3D-printed blasters, have the actors fake the recoil and put digital muzzle flashes in so they don't have to pay an armourer.

I want the new blaster to be a REAL firearm underneath, firing full-load blanks (maybe
with machined metal shrouds on it like the Glock-based Dredd Lawgiver or the Taurus 85-based pistol in Firefly) not some 3D printed lightweight which will stick out like a sore thumb in 4K resolution.

Thing is there really is no need to have a real gun involved. Technology and practicality have moved beyond that. Its common place for even blank fire guns to have muzzle flash and such enhanced or even replaced in post production. The new gun was somewhat designed as a throwback to the Syd Mead concept of the original blaster. I dont like it and feel most will not either. Its very video game looking and clumsy in the hand.

Thing is there really is no need to have a real gun involved. Technology and practicality have moved beyond that. Its common place for even blank fire guns to have muzzle flash and such enhanced or even replaced in post production.

Don't care. I want them to use real gun parts. I like real gun parts.
I want them using a prop that makes actors pull this face without having to 'act' ;

IMG_9151.JPG

IMG_9151.JPG

I think it could look pretty cool, we cant really see the full design from that single picture but i don't think it looks that bad.

Gave it a second pass. Still trying to keep it the retouching subtle.

The oval cross-section reminds me of the Timecop pistols. You think Syd Mead had a hand in the new one?

It looks like there's an illuminated red LED on it, too; right where the front of the trigger guard meets the frame.

Looking at that picture again... and I know it's grainy but... does that spotty handgrip look like carbon fibre weave?

Yeah, looks like carbon fiber, with maybe a red LED on the squared off looking trigger guard. But the angle and resolution make it very difficult to be sure.

"No real gun parts" could mean a lot of things. If it's supposed to be a laser, they might have decided just to build it on a gas blowback airsoft gun, or like in Star Wars, just put red LED's in the barrels, activated by the trigger.

Although another way to read that there are no 'real gun parts' in it is to say that they may still have based it on the dimensions of an actual firearm but simply not used a genuine gun in the making, perhaps only 3D-printed copies of real-world parts. If this is the way it was meant then fans could still get a real gun to make a replica around. And another thought about that 'cheese-grater' on the front - maybe that's ajust some sort of silencer/suppressor add-on and the bulk of the actual gun is out of sight behind...

Strange that the studio visited Dan Lanigan to study the original hero prop if they were just going to buy Tomens.
Also, that must mean the guy who says he saw three scratch-built Bulldog/Mannlicher-based pistols is wrong.

Capture2.JPG

Capture2.JPG

The screengrab I posted was from the Tomenosuke website directly. The way I see it, it is still cheaper to buy a few Tomens and modify them with metal frames and barrel ( most likely original bulldog parts), than it would be to build the whole thing from scratch with all original firearm parts. Also they could have studied the original prop owned by Dan just to verify the accuracy of the Tomenosuke before they committed to using them as props for the movie.

This is just my speculation. I could care less if its a Tomen or not. I'm just glad the original look of the blaster is still there for this movie. :D

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back