Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

Well, the chinstrap clips are clearly the post-Korean era ones you see on 'Nam era helmet shells, designed to you could swap out chinstraps without a heavy sewing machine. The straps have been modified quite a bit, though.

Been told the originals were cast from poly plastiflex which would explain deformaties and squashing in pictures.
I was thinking they were probably vacuuformed, because of the cost effectiveness and the heat can deform them causing the deformity and squashed bodies. It very well makes sense they would be poly plastic though. Good catch!

Been told the originals were cast from poly plastiflex which would explain deformaties and squashing in pictures.

I was thinking they were probably vacuuformed, because of the cost effectiveness and the heat can deform them causing the deformity and squashed bodies. It very well makes sense they would be poly plastic though. Good catch!

I heard they were made from sugar and spice and everything nice.

Uhh...

Wait..

I might be thinking of something else. :rolleyes

The last thing i have left is the helmet lamp (not really sure if that is what the purpose is supposed to be). I have been waiting for a small penlight to arrive i the mail (bought a cheap one but it's on a slow boat from China... it think literally). However since I lack a lot of larger size drill bits and a drill press. I'm not really sure how I am going to pull it off. Iv'e also considered a 3D printing solution. However, i am going with a 3rd option. I bought one of these:

51WpWaYuSCL._SL1000_.jpg

I got one coming via Amazon Prime so I should have it Tuesday. I think I will have an easier time fitting the lamp portion of the lamp body with the small hole I have already drilled. I also think I can conceal the flashlight handle inside the helmet without too much of an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 210
MJF Your Kit is looking so good mate!
Love the colour too

Thank you. I really liked that Petrol color. The natural luster of the paint was too pretty so I had tried clear matte sealer but it did not help. However it took some various colors of washes with stages of sanding in between. But after a bit, I got it to where I wanted it.

Super glad the Petrol worked out for you. It looks great!

Deep Sea (g5160) looks very similar to your end result, so that could be a possibility as well if anyone else is painting theirs. I'll spray some side by side here and post a photo.

IMG_1941.JPGIMG_1943.JPG IMG_1945.JPG

A few good screen caps. Canister did an awesome job modeling with the little reference he had. It looks like the holes need to be drilled a little bigger, and the back piece needs to protrude a little more but those are pretty easy fixes I think! In the last picture.. you can see a few spots where a little paint has chipped off.. I've circled the main one, and you can see the base color. Is it blue or is it green? Is the dress white or gold??

I'll let you guys figure it out...

A few good screen caps. Canister did an awesome job modeling with the little reference he had. It looks like the holes need to be drilled a little bigger, and the back piece needs to protrude a little more but those are pretty easy fixes I think! In the last picture.. you can see a few spots where a little paint has chipped off.. I've circled the main one, and you can see the base color. Is it blue or is it green? Is the dress white or gold??

I'll let you guys figure it out...

Good eye. Looks blue to me. I've also been told there were cast in light grey (poly plastiflex).

View attachment 719633

I've circled the main one, and you can see the base color. Is it blue or is it green? Is the dress white or gold?? ...

To me, that blue looks like it rubbed off from something else. It's hard to determine for sure. If we saw it more throughout the helmet or showing up on other helmets, then I think it is a safer speculation to save it was base blue.

I would also be willing to bet that the helmet in the photo had bands on it. See the wear? I encountered that sort of issue as I moved my bands from one position to the other.

Good eye. Looks blue to me. I've also been told there were cast in light grey (poly plastiflex).

I was told blue, and rubber.. but I can understand how someone holding it could confuse a soft resin for a rubber. I actually switched to 65D when I picked up on the flex the helmets had.

To me, that blue looks like it rubbed off from something else. It's hard to determine for sure. If we saw it more throughout the helmet or showing up on other helmets, then I think it is a safer speculation to save it was base blue.

I would also be willing to bet that the helmet in the photo had bands on it. See the wear? I encountered that sort of issue as I moved my bands from one position to the other.

That is just the area that sticks out the most. If you looks at the bottom edge, by the left (our view) side of the top hole, and a few scattered areas.. you can see that same blue tone. That circled area is just the most prominent to me. I am still almost certain they were basecoated in blue. It's just now I have a better idea of what blue..

If you disagree.. well, make your helmet how you like it. Then we are all happy. :)
Hell, there are still people painting them army green.. if they like it, more power to 'em.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back