Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

Just got home kids going crazy, will post a bigger write up after they are in bed. here is what I sent my sister.
rogue%u00252Bone%u00252Blogo.png

Put together a rough mock-up of the flashlight in Tinkercad.
Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 1.00.10 AM.png
Everything is really straightforward until you get to the end section...not too sure what's going on there. It looks to me that it might be a clip of some sort? Or maybe a switch? What are you guys thinking?
Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 1.05.00 AM.png
Overall it appears that it is only one this one spot and doesn't repeat on the other side.

- - - Updated - - -

what is the consensus on the color of the... uh... dome shield thingy? I keep flip flopping on what I think I see

Yeah it's hard to tell. I'm convinced it's a dark gray. There are lots of shots that prove it's not as dark as black.

I've been trying to figure out the chinstrap. To me it looks like the studio used varying chinstraps, but the predominant one in the screen shots appear to be the 1960s T1 chinstrap. If the strap is the T1 there would be no trouble in sourcing those.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 1.56.33 PM.png2014-12-18_220706.jpgs-l300.jpg

Put together a rough mock-up of the flashlight in Tinkercad.
View attachment 675279
Everything is really straightforward until you get to the end section...not too sure what's going on there. It looks to me that it might be a clip of some sort? Or maybe a switch? What are you guys thinking?
View attachment 675280
Overall it appears that it is only one this one spot and doesn't repeat on the other side.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it's hard to tell. I'm convinced it's a dark gray. There are lots of shots that prove it's not as dark as black.

i agree i see a clip as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The correct version of the M1 helmet is the Vietnam era style, lower profile helmet. Hope this is helpful.

If your looking for the Correct version here are the things to look for;

Curve of the Helmet, left is the 1970's M1, right is the WW2 version.

M1VLEFT-M1WW2.jpg

rpf member BobZurukle

The seam around the bottom of the helmet is joined at the back, If you find one with the seam at the front its a WW2 version.

BACKSEAM.jpg

Your straps may vary and could have been repaired with a plastic rim for the strapping to fit to the inner helmet, its your choice to decide how authentic you want your build to be. here is an original inner with original strapping.
BACKSTRAP.jpg
Close up of the strap and screen shot of the trailer helmet.

BUCKLE.jpg
strap.png
screen capture Rogue One trailer.

And if anyone is interested in kids m1's I found a bunch of plastic ones with fabric on them recently and will pick them up if anyone wants to buy them!

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

So I agree with the torch ideas, the clip looks like the go.

here are some renders that I've made up, Thain looks like you have it sorted too.
I beveled the edge of the 13 rounds on the cylinder and made the front end beveled with a lip for torch like end. Made two as the first one I made before, when I could not tell if it was a clip or flat surface with a couple lines.

torch%u00252Bangle.png

you can see afew small differences. the right one is the one Im thinking is more correct.
starting at the top, both 100mm long/20mm dia.
end cap - left one flat edge - right one clip with hole 1mm longer. I think thats what I see.
main body - left beveled edge at top - right one 2mm shorter, and rounded top edge.
end cap - right one 1mm longer.

front%u00252Bview%u00252B-%u00252BCopy.png

If there are any suggestions pour them on. at the end of the day I will make suggested changes and share the files for printing, and print one myself to see how it looks.

looking at the poster I already think the clip should be a few mm longer or lower to the cylinder (currently 1mm space).

Last edited:
Sheeple or anyone could I please get the a couple of dimensions from the helmet. Just planning out the lay of the fabric cover, Im after the lenght from the top vent straight down to the rim/lip of helmet and then from the center front around to the side right angles to the middle of the top vent. Pic below :)
dimension vent.png

So I agree with the torch ideas, the clip looks like the go.

here are some renders that I've made up, Thain looks like you have it sorted too.
I beveled the edge of the 13 rounds on the cylinder and made the front end beveled with a lip for torch like end. Made two as the first one I made before, when I could not tell if it was a clip or flat surface with a couple lines.

View attachment 675507

you can see afew small differences. the right one is the one Im thinking is more correct.
starting at the top, both 100mm long/20mm dia.
end cap - left one flat edge - right one clip with hole 1mm longer. I think thats what I see.
main body - left beveled edge at top - right one 2mm shorter, and rounded top edge.
end cap - right one 1mm longer.

View attachment 675508

If there are any suggestions pour them on. at the end of the day I will make suggested changes and share the files for printing, and print one myself to see how it looks.

looking at the poster I already think the clip should be a few mm longer or lower to the cylinder (currently 1mm space).

Woah, great job on the render! Way better than mine haha

The correct version of the M1 helmet is the Vietnam era style, lower profile helmet. Hope this is helpful.

If your looking for the Correct version here are the things to look for;

Curve of the Helmet, left is the 1970's M1, right is the WW2 version.

The seam around the bottom of the helmet is joined at the back, If you find one with the seam at the front its a WW2 version.

Your straps may vary and could have been repaired with a plastic rim for the strapping to fit to the inner helmet, its your choice to decide how authentic you want your build to be. here is an original inner with original strapping.
Close up of the strap and screen shot of the trailer helmet.

thank you for sharing how to tell the difference. i dont think ill be able to head out this weekend because of work, so next weekend I'm going to take the hike and check out the military surplus a few towns over see if i can't find one

btw guys all these 3d renders look amazing!!!

Sheeple or anyone could I please get the a couple of dimensions from the helmet. Just planning out the lay of the fabric cover, Im after the lenght from the top vent straight down to the rim/lip of helmet and then from the center front around to the side right angles to the middle of the top vent. Pic below :)
View attachment 675529

My fabric cover is a bit different than that one, but the measurements you're looking for are around 5.5" for the height and 6.5" length. Hope this helps!

Thanks Sheeple ;)

Just started printing the right model made some adjustments to the front in the pic below you can see the inside lip and reflector part of torch. I have made the internals big enough to fit a AA battery and a 15mm reflector (OD) with the option of two end caps one with a hole for a tac switch and one thats flat.
Torch23-10.pngfrontHelmetMeasurements.png

once the two parts are printed I will take some snaps and post, and send files to Elr02 so he can print too.

Last edited:
canister sounds good. Then I'll print with probably 100 microns and primer-bondo the whole thing to make it smooth. Then it goes to halliwax for casting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Printed for your inspection, you can see this could work as a real tourch. I have not wired it just slid in a 15mm reflector and led then pulled the rubber on off cap from a $2.50 torch.

end.jpg
front.jpg
top.jpg

Attachments

• sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 374
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 358
Printed for your inspection, you can see this could work as a real tourch. I have not wired it just slid in a 15mm reflector and led then pulled the rubber on off cap from a $2.50 torch.

end.jpg
View attachment 675849
front.jpg
View attachment 675850

I will post some more pics once its sanded, primed and painted. I will be a bit easier to see then rather than all white. Also how do you delete a post. double posted.

Last edited:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9HkYYnaR..._vXcAV41uaSfdaK2tvWakjjByLACLcB/s1600/end.jpgView attachment 675849https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-F6wOhDfD...suQSH-i_1LiqvDmbPP40Ez7pACLcB/s1600/front.jpgView attachment 675850

I will post some more pics once its sanded, primed and painted. I will be a bit easier to see then rather than all white.

Awesome! Looks great, and I love that you've made it a functional piece. Great to see a prototype on a real bucket...this project is coming together!

So box on the side of helmet, looks like there are 2 types. One with a rounded rectangular cut out and one plane. worked out it has a clear bevel o the edge 3mm ish and dimentsions are 50x75x15mm. Printing the plain one now and will print the one with the hole in it tomorrow and post for you guys once done.
box2.jpg.pngR1helmet.pngrogue one helmetonly.jpg

on a side note do you guys think cutting a bike inner tube up to stretch around the helmet would work? That could be an easy option to get that part, Going to be pretty hard to get hold of the band from the missile's that got mentioned earlier.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back