Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

that's my goal, i don't have the tools right now to do it otherwise. i'm practically starting all over.

these will be roto cast, also known as slush casting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Learn something every day!
@rundown the resistance/weight lifting bands look like a much more source-able option. Do you have any idea what size that black one is?
the OD with out the dome armor is 28.5 inch or 72cm
helmet OD.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any idea what size that black one is?

I believe the resistance band in the previous post is 208 cm which is too large for a helmet. There are other smaller, thinner exercise/yoga bands which are 5 cm wide by 50 cm around. Those could be split down into two bands each 1" wide and 20" unstretched. They are very common on ebay.

I do not know if the film used the same technique as soldiers in the field, but the bands where also made from the inner tubes from "deuce-and-a-half trucks (11R20).I know I have a tube some where if there is interest in that approach.

My eyes are totally square squinting at all the reference pics and working on the dome armor. these are screen grabs from Fusion 360. I set the thickness of the Dome shield to 8mm at the back and 12 at the front so you get a 4mm ridge which looks about right when you scale from the box on the side of the poster helmet. I have all the stages copied so I can go back and modify most of the details. I have not figured out how to make the groove in the dome along the fabric seem line yet. Oh the black lines you see are frame lines and wont show up on a print. I did figure out how to import a pic (Was pretty pleased with that!). Im pretty sure there is a bolt or something beside the box connecting the front armor to the back, you can see a small detail near the band.

rogue%2Bone%2Brebel%2Bhelmet%2Bv6Angle2.png

rogue%2Bone%2Brebel%2Bhelmet%2Bv6Back.png

rogue%2Bone%2Brebel%2Bhelmet%2Bv6FRont.png
rogue%2Bone%2Brebel%2Bhelmet%2Bv6Angle2.png

A little unsure about the back lower curve will see what pops up during the week I'm away. Fingers crossed we get some great images of the helmet.

rogue%2Bone%2Brebel%2Bhelmet%2Bv6Side.png

Exciting, Im getting a real buzz making this up. Any design thoughts are totally needed to refine the model.

My eyes are totally square squinting at all the reference pics and working on the dome armor. these are screen grabs from Fusion 360. I set the thickness of the Dome shield to 8mm at the back and 12 at the front so you get a 4mm ridge which looks about right when you scale from the box on the side of the poster helmet. I have all the stages copied so I can go back and modify most of the details. I have not figured out how to make the groove in the dome along the fabric seem line yet. Oh the black lines you see are frame lines and wont show up on a print. I did figure out how to import a pic (Was pretty pleased with that!). Im pretty sure there is a bolt or something beside the box connecting the front armor to the back, you can see a small detail near the band.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-c5Ni6Vry...CEw/s1600/rogue+one+rebel+helmet+v6Angle2.png
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IUrv4OzM..._ACEw/s1600/rogue+one+rebel+helmet+v6Back.png
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tOruem8G...gCEw/s1600/rogue+one+rebel+helmet+v6FRont.pnghttps://4.bp.blogspot.com/-c5Ni6Vry...LcB/s1600/rogue+one+rebel+helmet+v6Angle2.png

A little unsure about the back lower curve will see what pops up during the week I'm away. Fingers crossed we get some great images of the helmet.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tN0qIjm_...UACEw/s1600/rogue+one+rebel+helmet+v6Side.png

Exciting, Im getting a real buzz making this up. Any design thoughts are totally needed to refine the model.

out freak' standing!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool I agree. I will post a colour pic of what fabric I picked up afew days ago. Also (hehehe) over on the nz501st forum they spotted some photoshopped "clones".
Stormtroopers on the Beach_zpsgvv1txq6.jpg
The 2nd from the left and the 4th from the right (with that funny black diagonal on the thigh armour), and the 3rd one in from both the left and right. They seem to have identical poses.
cloth.jpg
After a bit of work (the weathering video above) I think this will be pretty good. just need to keep at it. I think I have the side and middle strip pattern just need to cut and sew it together to check its going to fit well.
sidemeasurements.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Helmetcover.jpg

Its good but not good enough, the width is perfect but the side pannels are about 5mm too big, making the pannels smaller will just tidy it up and make it look much tighter. After that I will sew the baffles and attach them over the top. next weekend I should have a pattern for you alex, I might make a few for me and my brother and a couple rebel legion guys in New Zealand. If any one else wants the pattern once done feel free to message me :)

View attachment 678312

Its good but not good enough, the width is perfect but the side pannels are about 5mm too big, making the pannels smaller will just tidy it up and make it look much tighter. After that I will sew the baffles and attach them over the top. next weekend I should have a pattern for you alex, I might make a few for me and my brother and a couple rebel legion guys in New Zealand. If any one else wants the pattern once done feel free to message me :)

oh man this is really starting to take shape!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back