Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

Hope you guys are pumped!
A little SBS paint guide for the torch.

sanded all the high points off the plastic and primed it. Added some test pot paint to the cracks to fill up some of the harder to get print lines. You wont have to do this because the cast will be smooth already.
1torchprime.jpg

0.5torchfill.jpg

After another round primer and sanding with 250-400 grit looking much better. Once I was happy that it was super smooth I painting it matt black, this gives a good base to the boltgun metal I used.
3torchBlack.jpg

Bolt gun metal.
4torchsilver.jpg

After that I used a bit of mayonaise and a size 1 brush. Using the tip to brush on some streaks so they looked like scratches, normally you would use some masking fluid but applying masking fluid with out letting the previous layer of paint dry off hard (over night) usually results in peeling off the layer under with the fluid. So mayo creates an oil barrier between the paint layers and you can wipe it off with a damp cloth once the top coat is dry in my case 5 mins.

5torchblack.jpg
6torchblack.jpg

Weathering I used some stone wash, dark sepia and some brown ink (watered down), I also used a brush and carfully edge highlighted some of the scratches with some crome paint to make it look like fresh knocks.

7torchHighlights.jpg

Test look beside the box thats just come off the printer and the helmet.

9torchfinishd.jpg

11torchHelmet.jpg

How do you think the torch is attached to the helmet? maybe a clip that comes down off the armor?

This is a great build btw... glad I'm following and taking part...

Before we get toooo far ahead of ourselves, shouldn't we leave a little breathing room for the onslaught of reference we'll be getting in the next two months. I'm sure Disney will display this helmet somewhere we can get crips clean pics of parts...

And then I'm sure there's a book coming out with all the parts broken down...

I guess it's all about upgrading later...

@NeoRutty totally agree

yeah I tried to see if I could find any more pics of the helmet from any source, think the books come out 16 dec. I hope there will be more pics in the next few months because its an awesome looking helmet.

http://www.howmanydaysuntilstarwars.com/

Im trying to get things made up for prototyping so people can comment on size and details, Im away next week. As of now if your wanting to wear/take your helmet to the movie there are 51 days to get it done. It will dissapear fast with all the steps we need to do to get interested people sorted with the items they need to turn their helmets into rebel buckets.

what else need to be done?
prototype 3d prints
pattern for Helmet cover - Alex/Me?
Printing from Elr0
Prep for casting
casting X amount items from Halliwax
sewing X amount of covers - Alex?
Sending them out to interested parties
painting them up

Who is interested in actually having an accurate as possible helmet for the release?

For those who are keen to stick around after R1 we can contine to develope the helmet details as more info comes forth.

Last edited:
I was finally able to see the to ch on my iPad. I was stuck with my little phone screen until now. That torch is awesome!! I love it!

Who is interested in actually having an accurate as possible helmet for the release?

For those who are keen to stick around after R1 we can contine to develope the helmet details as more info comes forth.

I'm interested in a helmet I don't need one before the release, just curious as to what it might cost

I think the main cost is going to be with Halliwax and Alex (casting and fabric + sewing), Im guessing we wont know too much about that until they have something to cast/sew.

Hi guys just started playing around with a pattern for the cover, Thanks Sheeple for those measurements.
Front view was pretty handy gave me a good indication of width and you can see its got the seam and a stitch down also. Im guessing the baffles or what ever they are called start just before the armor. After having a look at the endor rebel helmet builds Rebel Legion. I figured I could have a play to see how they look.
frontHelmetMeasurements.pngfabric layout.jpgtest piece 2.jpgtest piece.jpg

There's going to be a long strip for the center every baffle is double the top width 15mm (30mm total). other than that getting the cover to sit nice means getting the side pannels cut at the right angle. I have noticed that I will need to cut a hole for the buckle/strap. Anyone with a real cover could you take a pic of how that part is done please and I will intergrate it.

Last edited:
I think the main cost is going to be with Halliwax and Alex (casting and fabric + sewing), Im guessing we wont know too much about that until they have something to cast/sew.

Hi guys just started playing around with a pattern for the cover, Thanks Sheeple for those measurements.
Front view was pretty handy gave me a good indication of width and you can see its got the seam and a stitch down also. Im guessing the baffles or what ever they are called start just before the armor. After having a look at the endor rebel helmet builds Rebel Legion. I figured I could have a play to see how they look.
View attachment 676809View attachment 676810View attachment 676811View attachment 676812

There's going to be a long strip for the center every baffle is double the top width 15mm (30mm total). other than that getting the cover to sit nice means getting the side pannels cut at the right angle. I have noticed that I will need to cut a hole for the buckle/strap. Anyone with a real cover could you take a pic of how that part is done please and I will intergrate it.
Nice job so far! And as of now I'm looking at using tan suede for the fabric cover. Looking like the best option for fabric right now.

Alex

View attachment 676809View attachment 676810View attachment 676811View attachment 676812

No problem! And here's some detailed images of my helmet cover that hopefully will help with the strap.

IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0037.JPG

The helmet comes in two pieces, the steel bucket and an inner kevlar bucket which has all the harnessing in it.

IMG_0038.JPGIMG_0039.JPG

The kevar bucket pulls out fairly easily to reveal how the cover lays inside the helmet and around the buckle.

Legend! Thanks Sheeple.
Was wondering if it was a cut to thread the strap through, the pic says it all.

Alex I was thinking it might be made from the same material as the one on Sheepls pic? It looks like it could be weathered heavy drill.
cotton-fabric-drill-1551419.jpg

Then again it kida does look a bit suede-ish. I will flick through the other pics we have. . .

attachment.php

Last edited:

i have no idea yet how the dome shields will cost. i know as of right now ill be into "setup" at just under 500 bucks. this includes, the smooth-on rebound 25. i like that because i dont have a pressure pot anymore, and think i can get away with rebound 25, the vex hardener, free foam air for the mother mold. i need to find a way to make a top/plug to the dome shield, some lexan to make a reenforcement plate. i am hoping this will be enough resin to cast 10 shields. but i will only know the exact number once i get the first one done.

i also have to become a premium member in order to post in the junkyard so thats 30 bucks or so. i am not into this project to get rich. to be honest i feel completely un easy even though i will have the permission from the 3d modeler and 3d printer to cast these off. i feel like I'm making money off their work, i dont want to make any profit off this run, so its probably going to be a small run of 10 or so. put it this way, the core group of guys who have contributed to this build, your golden

the hardest part is making and casting the mold. i bet you once i have it mocked up and plugged with clay, it takes me 2-3 days to finish the silicon mold and mother mold. possibility 2 days... with my work schedule i would have to start this friday night and work all weekend on it. the hardest part is waiting for the silicon to tack up in order to lay on the next layer. depending on the climate this can take up to a hour. if i do 7 lays of silicon ( at least 5) you can see where the time comes into being a challenge. if i can do the print layer, and silicone mold in 1 day, then the mother mold the next we will be in good shape.

then i can slush these suckers out probably 1 a day.

Last edited:
I don't own a sewing machine so for the past number of years I have sewn everything of mine by hand so making these can take time. Just a heads up.

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I don't own a sewing machine so for the past number of years I have sewn everything of mine by hand so making these can take time. Just a heads up.

Alex

yes, i cant see my dome shields being done before the premier to be honest

yes, i cant see my dome shields being done before the premier to be honest
Yes everything sounds good and looks fine on paper until it comes down to doing the actual work. Then you realize how long stuff actually takes.

Once you start the molds some time I'll buy the fabric and get to sewing:)

Alex

Yes everything sounds good and looks fine on paper until it comes down to doing the actual work. Then you realize how long stuff actually takes.

Once you start the molds some time I'll buy the fabric and get to sewing:)

Alex

once the 3d prints are in my hands i can assemble them, and start filling and sanding. the smooth it is the easier to mold. it would be a push before december i dont know if i can make that kind of dead line. i sure will try

After looking into how much the suede and sewing materials are going to cost me, I'm looking at selling the fabric covers for somewhere around $20-$30 a piece.

Each one will take roughly 8-10 hrs a piece to sew by hand.

Alex

halliwax I'm fine with doing the filing and sanding for the prints if you'd like. I'll be honest I have little experience smoothing prints. If you'd just like the raw prints that's good too. Just let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back