Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

wow that concept art looks awesome! the M1 adaptation is pretty true to the war style and star wars theme they went for.

Canister's work is great! I want one too! Gotta find his sale thread here somewhere!

Here is my take on the M1 helmet, was able to wear it to the Hollywood Red Carpet Premiere as well!

FB_IMG_1480027640881.jpg

15350605_10208995010407101_848789595244278811_n.jpg

I forget who posted this link, but I got it from here: https://www.majorsurplus.com/military-helmet-set.html

I don't know if they're real steel pots or reproductions, but mine is real steel and looks like it's seen some use. Also, not entirely sure if it's a Vietnam era or WWII, but you can't beat it at this price either way!

make sure you do the research they were particular about it being the real deal so the mold fits the helmet

So I may have brought in the new year starting a new project.
I just so happened to already have an old WWII or Vietnam helmet laying about the house, which I found in an old building, so now it's new purpose is calling!

imgurl

Not a great picture, but I literally just started on it. I think I'm gonna use some creative liberties and my own unique R1 rebel soldier.

The TOP of this helmet is SUPER flat. I thought it was photo distortion at first but the more pics that are revealed indicate it's not picture distortion at all. Super flat. Have we found a suitable helmet beyond the M1 which is very round at the top?

My thoughts were it was a WW2 German Paratrooper helmet. But MANY others disagree. Idk. Its kinda late in everyone's design process. Me and my girlfriend agree its flatter on top and to me thats closer to a WW2 German Paratrooper helmet. idk. Its worth sayin again.

- - - Updated - - -

Are the rubber helmet bands commercially available? Or do we need to make our own?

Look up Vietnam helmet band. The marines used an inner tube of a bicycle tire. Its way thicker than the common helmet band of the day. That can be an option.

Ok, so I'm new to the thread, but I'm going to throw in my 2 cents now. I'm not much of a prop replicator, and I definitely don't hold a candle to any of you guys. But I AM a WWII reenactor and a Vietnam War reenactor, so I am kind of familiar with some of the "real world" military stuff. So I'm going to comment on some notes I've taken from the 21 pages in this thread. The concept helmet image posted on page 20 does look like a cross between the helmet that we now know from the film, and the Endor helmet. The only thing I think is different is the base helmet. Instead of the Vietnam era M1 as a base, I'm seeing a modified WW1 German Pickelhaube.
51-01.jpg

As for the color of the blast shield on the screen used helmet, I've seen you guys saying "green", "grey", "blue", etc... What I'm seeing (and this may just be me, but I think its close) is a weathered WWII German Panzer Gray.

ESPPZGQT-2.jpg

And finally, not saying these are the same bands used (from the screen shots they look like they are cut perfectly by a machine, like the previously mentioned sports bands), but here is a suitable replacement. As pictured, these are exactly the size needed for the M1 helmet. From screen shots, it looks like most helmets have 2 bands to me.

helmet_band_usmc.jpg

These can be purchased for $4 a pop here:
http://www.mooremilitaria.com/helmets-body-armor/band-helmet-inner-tube-usmc.html

Now, I gotta tell you... You guys absolutely amaze me. Seeing all of you come together in such a short amount of time, sharing knowledge, utilizing your individual skills, and coming up with such an amazing replica, all from some pretty low res and crappy reference pics just absolutely blows my mind. You guys are awesome!

Last edited:
Love that overlapping look. Sometimes the screen used helmets look overlapped like that, sometimes they look stitched with batting.

My thoughts were it was a WW2 German Paratrooper helmet. But MANY others disagree. Idk. Its kinda late in everyone's design process. Me and my girlfriend agree its flatter on top and to me thats closer to a WW2 German Paratrooper helmet. idk. Its worth sayin again.

- - - Updated - - -

Look up Vietnam helmet band. The marines used an inner tube of a bicycle tire. Its way thicker than the common helmet band of the day. That can be an option.

I don't think it can be the Fallschirmjager helmet.The rebel helmets have a fairly pronounced peak that the German helmets just don't. have, and the visual guide shows a pretty obvious M1-style helmet liner.

IMG_5439.JPG

I wanted to share something I found interesting. I am not sure that the blast shields are cast in a rigid material. Look at the way the bands distort the bottom, flaring it out, and the way those metal pieces press in on the side. I think it is quite possible a urethane rubber piece. There is the possibility that particular helmet is a stunt helmet but I highly doubt they'd take official photos of an actor wearing stunt pieces.. even background characters like the soldiers.

Just something to think about....

I have been casting the helmets in the run from Canister and myself quite thin which would allow you to heat and form the flare if you so desired.

i got my shell from Sheeple. If anyone needs help with the rest, here is what I found that I can confirm works with the shell:

Question...

What are people using for black rubber bands? I didn't want t get the one that fit the M! helmet because I am not sure if they are large enough to go over the flash shield as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back