GauntletFX vs Megaprime1978 Dark Knight cowl comparison

CharlzO

Since these two cowls seem to be a couple of the popular choices when it comes to a Nolan Dark Knight suit, I thought I would at least offer up a small comparison between the both of them.

I will preface this by saying: I know that the Nolan trilogy isn't the new kid on the block, so this might be mostly pointless nowadays. I also am not an expert at this, as this is my first real costume attempt in any major shape or form. And the big one, is that the two setups can often be practical for different people for many different reasons, and I am in no way advocating that one is going to always be better than the other, in every way, for every person and situation. The views presented here are my own, and I am certainly able to be incorrect in some of the points, and by all means, feel free to offer opinions on my own if you feel the wish to.

I purchased my first cowl, from seller Megaprime1978. It appears to be similar to IconicFX, but I can't say as to if it's the same one just sold under two names, or where it's history is from. I'm just going to call it the MP cowl through this, just for clarity sake. The cowl was purchased (and as of this writing is another listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/232101669985 ) and came as a cowl with neckpiece. Total purchase price was under $100 in my case, but with anything e-bay, your luck may be better or worse.

The second cowl I purchased, was from Coofunkcurly on these forums, which I will refer to as Kevin's throughout this, as it's easier to type :) With his, I purchased the cowl and the neck with mesh backing pre-assembled. As his pricing has been mentioned in his thread detailing the run, I'll list it here also, $275 shipped, as a package. Obviously at first glance, a big price difference. So now, why is that?

The two cowls themselves look outwardly very similar, as they should since they are for the same thing. There are a couple minor differences, at least in the pair I'm holding. Kevin's cowl has slightly more defined brow lines, specifically the center above the nose. The jawline from a profile view also is slightly different. In the case of my MP cowl, it appears the right eyehole is slightly smaller than the left, which could likely be solved by simply trimming it by hand. The ears on the MP cowl are filled solid with more urethane, whereas Kevin's is foam-filled. This makes Kevin's noticeably lighter when held side by side. Kevin's also feels thinner, or another way, more flexible. It doesn't feel as stiff as the MP cowl, but that could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your preferences. Kevin's nose is a little wider, and more pronounced in it's shape than the MP cowl, but is lacking pre-cut nostril holes. His run thread addresses this, and it can be modified relatively easily to fix that. I did notice that once it was pressed back against my face, it was noticeable to not have them in yet.

In my case, my head is way too small for either, and both need padding to fit my noggin, mostly because of the chin strap. With either one, if the strap had about a 1/2" chopped out of the center, it'd fit perfect. But in the case of the MP cowl, for me, I had to pad significantly on the top and rear to get the chin to fit correctly while leaving the eyes in place. In doing so it raised the forehead of the cowl to an almost comical degree. With Kevin's, I need a little less, and it pulls the cowl back far enough that it fits my eyes with less gap in the chin than the other, which when paired with the neck and balaclava I have, it works ok for me, and without looking like Down Syndrome Batman. It also feels a lot smoother around the eyes, but again, trimming on the MP Cowl might help there too. *NOTE* This doesn't mean that one will fit better than the other, for every person. People don't have the same faces, so what might be more comfortable for me, might not be for someone else.

When it comes to why I prefer Kevin's, hands down, the biggest reason is the neck piece. It can be purchased separately (or could last I knew, so if times have changed, don't shoot me), and is completely, and utterly WORTH IT. This thing is a friggin masterpiece. The MP cowl comes with a one piece urethane neck that will need to have a fastener glued to the back, as well as will need to wear a hood under it. Let me say that again. You HAVE to wear a hood under it, or you will have obvious gaps along the seam between it and the cowl where your neck shows. As it's a single piece mold, you do have molded mesh texture inside parts of it, and it looks decent enough for what it is. And as most people do wear a hood or balaclava with a cowl, that shouldn't be the ultimate deciding factor in the decision. *** I will also say that MP also made mention of a mesh neck available additionally, but I cannot say what the result is, as I went with the 'standard package' *** I also believe the IconicFX cowl is similar in the design and implementation of the neckpiece.

MP Cowl:
20161002_151409_zpso2xwova7.jpg 20161002_151508_zpspve3zfmy.jpg

Kevin's Cowl:
20161002_151757_zpsuaofi4qv.jpg 20161002_151814_zpsieoegkg8.jpg

Kevin's neck on the other hand, art. At least on me, it fits such that the cowl slips down on my head and comes down over the top of the mesh of the neck, which (if my head wasn't so small that I NEED a balaclava and padding), conceals your neck completely. And as it's fashioned with actual mesh material, the realism factor is certainly there. Add to that, the zipper already built in on the rear, and it's just as good as it's going to get. The only thing with that, is that the zipper becomes a seam in the center of the back of his, whereas the MP one, will have a less obvious seam when it's velcro'd or whatever together.

MP Neck:
20161002_151206_zpsi6espvoa.jpg

Kevin's Neck:
20161002_151752_zpsqwad4opz.jpg

MP with neck:
20161002_151556_zpsxsfdks3s.jpg

Kevin's with neck:
20161002_151953_zps0mflez6m.jpg 20161002_152000_zps9cv4ai3e.jpg 20161002_152005_zpsavisllyy.jpg 20161002_161004_zpsjbnpvi9h.jpg

Bearing in mind there is a price difference between them, it's easy to see why people could go either way. the MP (and the IconicFX like it), is cheaper as a package, the cowl looks decent even if it might take a couple little tweaks to fit ideally based on your facial structure, and most people are going to wear a hood to attach the neck to anyway. It might be wearable for extended times after some smoothing around, with no ill effects, and you could do very well for it. I know there are plenty of members here who have the same one and are happy with it. Kevin's cowl needs a nose punched in, but feels out of the box, a little lighter, less stiff, seems to mold a little more forgiving with less padding (again, might only be for those of us with tiny heads), and the neckpiece is spectacular, even though to do so, you add a premium price. If you're going Bat on a Budget, the other won't disappoint most. If you're looking side by side, you'll see the subtle differences in the cowl, and the neck will jump out, but when you want that extra kick of realism and will pay to have the best, you can't beat Kevin's for that.

Fair review and interesting read. Thanks. :)

Little history - I have offered a Batman Begins cowl based off a scan of a real one for years. When TDK came out there were noticeable similarities so a friend of mine took a hard master of the Begins , cut the neck off and bodyshopped it into a TDK cowl. That is what you have. ;)

The other one (and MANY of the TDK cowls offered out there) are a recast of the Noble bust. Which did originate from a real movie cowl. Nose is a bit tweaked, mouth is stretched, one ear is tweaked. And details are a bit soft. But does look the part. Probably even moreso than the one I offer.

172248586537_1.jpg

In all fairness, I didn't have enough support inside it while it was stored so it lost a little shape, getting that back in order now. But now that you mention it, I did remember reading about how yours came to be, with the tweaking of the Begins. That is true, that a discerning eye might pick up the differences between them. I definitely prefer the additional comfort on my head over a minor tweak that may not be 100% TDK accurate - then again, I'm waiting on a UD suit so obviously I'm not going full movie star myself :)

Yes very fair review. My cowl and Megaprimes cowl are similar. I have heavily reworked mine over the years and have cleaned up alot of the issues the original had. I can see MP still has the same issues it always had. No offense to him but he also lists his for considerably less than I do. I am also on I think my 4th or 5th mold of it. Not sure anymore. Only my first mold (every other mold I made and have continued to improve) and I believe all of Megaprimes molds came from the same person. I am working on an accurate neck piece which will eliminate the last part of my cowl I can't stand which is the neck.
Iconic-FX is run by myself and I don't sell under multiple names. Just drftfan on forums and Iconic-FX on Facebook/Instagram and various websites.

nice review, without reading this thread i bought the MP cowl.
Great piece, but thight as hell. or is my head so big?? after comparing pics between recasts and movie shots i believe the mask bale wears is bigger then the nolan piece. especially the opening for the eyes look much wider than all the cowls ive seen.

Update: i also purchased the Cowl from Kevin (coofunkcurly) and to be fair in terms of quality, finishing and quality its the best of the three i have right now. Here are some pro's and cons' to Kevins cowl.

+ Finishing (very clean edges)
+ Inside very clean cast, no big running rubber drops
+ light ears (foam filled)
+ Size and fitting. If you look at the Cowl Bale wears.. it look big and also has space below his eyes. Most cowls have really smal area around the cowl. And i rather add padding the trim.
+ Lines. really crisp and sharp edges

- The ears/tips look a bit to long and are fairly straight.. the movie cowl has shorter tips and seem to bend a little inwards.
The side profile is fine, but on the frontal view they are too long.(in my objective opinion)
- No nose holes. (but a fairly easy fix to do yourself)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back