Scammer Alert: Docking Bay Studios (formerly Imperial Replicas)

Dao2

I didn't want to have to create a warning as I was hoping everything would end well but unfortunately it has not. Please be wary of any future transactions with Docking Bay Studios (formerly Imperial Replicas). They used to seem on the up and up, I even got a kit from them not too long ago. However the second kit I had with them has not been delivered.

After getting no response about it for some time I made a claim in paypal and received an email from them within hours asking why I did this and that I had not paid in full. I pointed out that I had and provided the relevant transaction ID. I was then told that the person was "not responsible for the book keeping" (I assume there was multiple people on the team, and the one responsible is no longer with them?) but if I still wanted it it could be shipped on the 28th with tracking and photos. I responded back that that I would like to do this but I could not close the claim as if I close it I cannot reopen it again however the seller has 20 days to get it to me and if shipped by the 28th (the day they suggested) or even the end of the week that would be ample time. I did not get any update since and have not gotten any responses to my email sent Thursday morning or this morning asking for the status. I'm not sure if the response was a bid to get me to close the claim (thereby giving up the chance of getting the money back) or was at least meant at the time but since I have received no updates and they seem to be ignoring me such I have been forced to escalate it to Paypal. Hopefully I can retrieve my money.

If you currently have any money tied up with Docking Bay Studios or Imperial Replicas I suggest you try get in contact with them and do not let your PP payments cross over the 6 month threshold for making a claim, or possibly start it now if you are so inclined and are like me unable to get a response. And be wary of any future products solicited under Docking Bay Studios (they have a few coming it seems). If you do have any money still tied up with them I wish you the best of luck.

If anyone does feel like I have not provided enough information and needs more "evidence" before getting worried and creating a PP claim I understand (anybody can cry wolf). Feel free to contact me and I can forward you the email chain/screenshots whatever you prefer.

PayPal will decide in your favour. Luckily you didn't close the claim after their first excuse. I think that, depending on the situation, there shouldn't be a rule for not being able to start another claim.. As much as buyers sometimes use loopholes to scam sellers, there are quite a few sellers that do the same.

Thanks for the info, and let us know how it turns out.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Indeed I hope they turn in my favor as well, he hasn't replied at all to the claim yet so I guess that helps. Unfortunately I'll still be out the deposit I put down a while ago but at least the bulk of it will return. I will update ><

Edit: Received a reply stating his relative was hospitalized. I'm not sure I believe it, I wish I could but I've heard that excuse and similar a lot, it's old hat really... But he has time to ship and hopefully will do so (he has until the 11th according to PP).

Last edited:
Hospitalized relative - sucks but send my money back yesterday... Contact me when item is in hand and send it CoD... text a picture of the cash on the table next to the door to pay the delivery guy :)

Jedi Dade

Hospitalized relative - sucks but send my money back yesterday... Contact me when item is in hand and send it CoD... text a picture of the cash on the table next to the door to pay the delivery guy :)

Jedi Dade

It does suck, I'm just not sure I believe it tbh :| PP Has given them until tommorow to respond to the escalation, no response on PP or to me. I doubt I'm going to receive the kit.

Yeah. That excuse may be true, but It is very odd that he didn't respond to emails. It's not possible to spend 24/7 in the hospital unless you are a patient. Even then, in this day you have the ability to check and respond to emails via a smartphone. Personally it sounds like an excuse that he would hope that PayPal would side with him, or that he would get you to drop the claim. In any case, PayPal usually is swift with their decision after the allotted time expires.

I've had transactions that have had delays for numerous reasons. If I start a claim, I don't close it until I receive my item or my money back. Even if the excuse was genuine, you should get your refund, and if you do believe him, you can order the same item again. Yes, it will take a bit more time, but the seller will redeem himself, or end up in another claim situation with PayPal. Too many back to back claims and PayPal will close his account for good.

TazMan2000

I've also heard the excuse, and others like it plenty in this hobby. He didn't put that answer in to paypal, he actually didn't respond to the paypal claim at all. It was just an email to me, either as a legitimate excuse or in a bid to get me to close the claim. Answer from paypal came in an hour ago, I got my money refunded by paypal no response by Imperial Replicas/Docking Bay Studios. After the money clears I do plan on contacting him and offering to buy it if he's willing to ship first. Otherwise I am not taking the chance. A true shame it came to this, so I guess everyone else be warned.. no matter how nice that studio scale sandcrawler looks :/

I would like to suggest that no one do business for the near future. His website is down and this needs to shake out to see if matters are set right with people. It is now December 13, 2016.

(sorry for my bad english)
Hello, same for me, except i done fisrt acount for Blockade Runner, i will never see, and never get back my money (I already lost $650 to old to make a clain paypal)
He answer me the last time the 7 Decmber 2016 and explain me he has split with his wife and looking for a new place to work kit. No answer anymore.

I hope i can get my last payment back !

Received a reply stating his relative was hospitalized.

explained to me he has split with his wife.

It amazes me that these flakes always seem to have the absolute worst luck ever. It is always s divorce... then a death in the family... then a day later there was a sick relative... right after he lost his job.... on the day his pet died.... then he got a hangnail....It's like they are living in a country song. :lol

It amazes me that these flakes always seem to have the absolute worst luck ever. It is always s divorce... then a death in the family... then a day later there was a sick relative... right after he lost his job.... on the day his pet died.... then he got a hangnail....It's like they are living in a country song. :lol

I've actually been contacted by him since I was refunded. He explained his issues and that he can sell it to me now. Obviously I'm quite wary and he still has my deposit ($250, refund period lapsed for that) so I said I will not pay first, but I am willing to go through an intermediary like the guy Modeler Magic. He said he would respond immediately but did not after I sent that message. It's possibly he's afraid I'm looking to get revenge or something and take the kit and not pay but tbh I think it's more likely he was just trying to get more $ cause I said I was still interested. It's a shame as I really want the kit but I just can't trust.

The people who always seem to have the worst luck are almost always doing it to themselves, and if you listen to them, it's never their fault or responsibility. Maybe guy did split from his wife, but I bet if you saw what happened it was a ton of things that were done by him that caused it (or weren't done, for that matter).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back