MST3K Season 11 - REVIEW THREAD (SPOILERS!)

KrangPrime

Master Member
Now that Production has begun..

Supposedly production has started on 14 episodes. I'm guessing this means they have all the new stuff finished already. intro, sets, props...costumes.

I'm still not sold on using LA talent for this season. there is no real need for it, considering all the great talent they found locally that we where able to go in without pre judging.
The problem with using LA talent also includes ego's already in place. I Was watching this mst3k reunion again on rifftrax, and this jonah guy is ALREADY going after the people who don't like his casting. dude, ignore them. people are going to think what they are going to think no matter what you say, and you only look worse for going after them.

I think at this point, the only one that i'm interested in seeing what they can do is felicia day. she's been staying rather silent.
and it'll be interesting to see how the new robot voices evolve..although i still think they sound too close to each other.

Servo has always had a bit of a deep voice..this one seems a bit too light IIRC.

Last edited:
Re: MST3K Revival - Production starts

I was 100% looking forward to this, until the unknown comic patton oswalt made a name for himself by trashing the bigger angry video game nerd for no reason at all in a unclassy move.

Now i'm about 75% looking forward to this :).
but, should still be fun :).

Last edited by a moderator:

As someone who watches several Rifftrax, Cinematic Titanics, and classic MSTies each week, I can truly, truly say I'm not even remotely hopeful for this, but I'll still give it a try. I'm not feeling the cast, set, or bot voices at all. I guess this is how classic Trekkies must have felt when TNG came out.

In the recent kickstarter newsletter, Joel is urging folks to watch the old shows now available on Netflix, (and then the new ones of course) even if you have DVDs or other means to see them, in order to get some numbers tallying up. The more popular it is on Netflix itself, the better the chances for a season 12.

What was his problem with James Rolfe? AVGN was great.

Supposedly, the story i heard, oddly a bit AFTER people got upset that he went after the nerd, is that his late wife supposedly worked on feigbusters, and patton got his undies in a wad that james made a polite, well thought out video on why he wouldn't see it. but, after seeing some of his twitter feed, it just seems like he's a standard political hollywood twit.

that was the first time i ever heard of patton, and apparently his star shot up fast after that and now he's alot more places.

a shame too. i kind of liked what i saw on the mst3k telethon a year or so ago. now, not so much. no wonder I think, it was trace, who doesn't care alot about them using LA talent this time around.

Booooooooooooooooooo

This all just looks so forced. Loved Felica Day in The Guild, but she gets a big old no from me in this. The whole thing gets a big old no. I'll stick with Rifftrax.

normally, i'd agree. but rifftrax has been hit or miss lately with me for some reason. sometimes they are great, like in night of the living dead, or Miami Connection. othertimes, we get what i remember to be rather lackluster stuff like mothra (which should have been a home run, but if i'm remembering the right one, wasn't all that great).

it'll be interesting to see what joel can do this time around..considering i havn't seen cinematic titanic.

I just wish he went with unknown talent. i have no idea why he thought he'd need LA people this time around, since technology has jumped to the point where they CAN do pro stuff without hollywood more so than before.

a shame too. i kind of liked what i saw on the mst3k telethon a year or so ago. now, not so much. no wonder I think, it was trace, who doesn't care alot about them using LA talent this time around.

Why is this whole discrimination against 'LA talent" a thing? We've all seen these actors talk about their love of the show, so what is actually wrong with this cast outside of the fact they're from LA?

Why is this whole discrimination against 'LA talent" a thing? We've all seen these actors talk about their love of the show, so what is actually wrong with this cast outside of the fact they're from LA?
Because nerds need something to bitch about.

I think it looks awesome. Very much looking forward to it!

Because nerds need something to bitch about.

I think it looks awesome. Very much looking forward to it!

In this case, it is just because of the history of the show. it was always independant of hollywood, doing it's own thing in Min on it's own time..only needing hollywood to broadcast it to the masses. and using, to us at least, unknown talent to make it all work made it less easier to pre judge.

and now with technology being the way it is, it should be far easier to get better results without hollywood.

at least crow and servo this time, I think, are rather unknown actors. and you'll notice, that patton guy doesn't seem to be involved in any of the Q and A sessions they seem to be doing, but the rest of the cast is...

I get what you're saying, I just don't think it makes a difference. Unknown or "L.A. talent", it doesn't make it better or worse. I trust Joel.

And Patton Oswalt is very well known as an actor and stand up comedian. Surprised you haven't heard of him before. He's been in tons of stuff.

Last edited:

Oswald's been famous since at least his King of Queens days. I first became aware of him when he voiced Remy in Ratatouille, back in 2007. Viewing him primarily through the lens of his feud with AVGN is...a narrow awareness, to say the least.

Oswald's been famous since at least his King of Queens days. I first became aware of him when he voiced Remy in Ratatouille, back in 2007. Viewing him primarily through the lens of his feud with AVGN is...a narrow awareness, to say the least.

And, of course, he's been a recurring character on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for years.

In this case, it is just because of the history of the show. it was always independant of hollywood, doing it's own thing in Min on it's own time..only needing hollywood to broadcast it to the masses. and using, to us at least, unknown talent to make it all work made it less easier to pre judge.
You do realize that Shout Factory, the studio that purchased all the rights to MST3K, is calling the shots? They're the studio who puts out special editions of Hollywood movies that Hollywood itself has all but abandoned. You think they're as bad as Hollywood? They've posted whole episodes of MST3K on their youtube channel. I can't think of a better studio to take care of this franchise. They've released episodes on DVD that even mst3kinfo.com thought would never officially be released. So you've got a studio who cares, talent who cares and fans who brought the series back. If there's anything to criticize, it should be what we know and how it's presented. There's still a possibility that this show will suck and if that day comes, I will cry. Cry hard. So hard I'll probably regret becoming a fan of the show in the first place.

and now with technology being the way it is, it should be far easier to get better results without hollywood.

It has. It's called Kickstarter.

at least crow and servo this time, I think, are rather unknown actors. and you'll notice, that patton guy doesn't seem to be involved in any of the Q and A sessions they seem to be doing, but the rest of the cast is...

Patton is still a very busy actor being showcased in both film, television, video games as well as doing his usual stand up routines.

That, and also one very important detail that might have slipped your mind. It still hasn't been a whole year since the tragic passing of his wife, Michelle Eileen McNamara. Not only did this tragedy leave him a widoer, but also as a single parent to their seven year old daughter. As far as this backer is concerned, Patton doesn't have to do a darn thing until he wants to. He has already helped bring MST3K back and I am very thankful for him lending his support and talent to the show.

Haven't heard of Patton Oswalt? Remy? The filibuster on Parks & Rec? His standup routines? His GRAMMY?

Some people should get out more.

Like me, apparently. I have no clue what AVGN stands for.

Thanks, Jeyl. Good post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

P.S. Anyone else old enough to remember MST3K on Comedy Channel [sic] along with a little show called Short Attention Span Theater with some guy named Jon Stewart? I used to watch it in Gitmo while on deployment, the base's cable content was bounced off satellite from Chicago of all places.

“Toy boat, toy boat, toy boat…”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back