Repairing resin props

Drac

Sr Member
Hi all, I had a quick search but couldn't find anything. I have a resin mask that has a few pin holes etc in it that I need to fill and repair before I can look at painting, am I right in saying milliput is the best thing to use?

many thanks all

regards Paul

One tip I can give that works with regular miliput (not sure if superfine works quite the same), is to have a glass of water handy when you're using it. Once you've got the miliput mixed and on the area you want to fill dip whatever tools you're using to sculpt it (I tend to use an old exacto blade, a few dentist tools and my fingers) in the water from time to time. Miliput gets really sticky as you work it and its makes it way easier to smooth it down if you moisten your tools.

One tip I can give that works with regular miliput (not sure if superfine works quite the same), is to have a glass of water handy when you're using it. Once you've got the miliput mixed and on the area you want to fill dip whatever tools you're using to sculpt it (I tend to use an old exacto blade, a few dentist tools and my fingers) in the water from time to time. Miliput gets really sticky as you work it and its makes it way easier to smooth it down if you moisten your tools.

Superfine Milliput does work the same :)

Depends on the size of the crack/holes. for small stuff I use spot glazing putty... Its like fine bondo in a tube.

Jedi Dade

They are very small, basically pin holes and litte slits in the grain of the mask just where the resin was a bit thin

Then I'd go to the auto parts store and grab some "spot glazing butty" in the paint area... its perfect for that kind of thing. I use it to seam all my models and fill small gaps. The last time I bought it - it was around 5-6 dollars per tube.

It dries pretty fast but make sure you let it dry before sanding... or you'll be doing it again :)

this is the stuff you're looking for:

http://bondo.com/bondo-glazing-spot-putty-907.html#stw3LQ2L6GHsZk6o.97

Jedi Dade

Then I'd go to the auto parts store and grab some "spot glazing butty" in the paint area... its perfect for that kind of thing. I use it to seam all my models and fill small gaps. The last time I bought it - it was around 5-6 dollars per tube.

It dries pretty fast but make sure you let it dry before sanding... or you'll be doing it again :)

this is the stuff you're looking for:

http://bondo.com/bondo-glazing-spot-putty-907.html#stw3LQ2L6GHsZk6o.97

Jedi Dade

Thanks pretty sure I've seen something similar over here.

Another option is super glue with baby powder. It's what I use to fill bubbles and small holes in my resin masks. Just add baby powder to some super glue until you get a paste-like consistency, then dab it into the hole with a toothpick. You can file or sand it after it's cured, and you can even hit it with some super glue accelerant if you don't feel like waiting.

one tip I found useful back when I was working at a prototyping firm was to scuff up the area you are going to fill, either with a ball end dremel bit or with some real coarse sandpaper, like 80 grit. Might seem counterintuitive to make the hole worse before fixing, but this allows the filling medium to get a stronger grip on the resin and prevents it from popping out.

I've used 3M Acryl-Red Glazing Putty for small pinholes, scratches and seams between glued parts - easy to apply, decent working time and sands quite nicely.

Seems like there are many options to choose from, guess it's personal preference and what you find easier, I used milliput for my mask in the end and worked really well, I found that it shapes nicely when moistened, had a few issues but I guess that was due to the project I was working on and where I was applying it.

For things like pin holes in resin parts, I would not recommend using CA with a filler (e.g.: baby powder) as the cured CA is much harder than the resin. As a result it can be very difficult to sand the excess CA away without cutting away too much of the softer resin. I use the spot glazing putty exclusively as it is closer in hardness to the resin. I use the Milliput when I need to build up or correct larger areas.

-Jeff

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back