Yup, Another Deag Falcon Build

niart17

I guess I'm far enough along I might as well post up my build. It's nothing as wonderful and exciting as you guys here, but it sure is fun. Here is the lower hull in the process of painting. A LOT more to go.

IMAG0723_zps5zqcd0we.jpg

IMAG0721_zpshfv4lpep.jpg

IMAG0727_zpskzmljxrn.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics. Only had my cell camera with me.

Bill

Last edited:
I was looking to get one of these. I now know i wont even bother posting the build lol. There are a bunch already. Is that the first piece they give you? Or did you buy the kit outright? Looking forward to seeing it come together

Thanks custom, no this is up to issue 48. I'm on the 12 month build route about halfway through. I do recommend the model. The customer service is at best spotty, but the model itself is very good. Pricey, but I feel it's worth it.

Here is some pics of my earlier work on it with a hold floor I drew in Solidworks and had printed. I also used a trick I saw somewhere and used press snaps for the hall lighting. It's a learning process as I've never lit a model. But I think it'll come out OK.

DSC_0308_zpscmsakuba.jpg

DSC_0306_zpsjffkhzlv.jpg

DSC_0304_zps3lgvuzag.jpg

DSC_0288_zpsltzizymy.jpg

Assem%201-48%20with%20hatch_zpsiv1y0edi.jpg

DSC_0213_zpstokehofh.jpg

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:
Your falcon is coming along real nicely. It's fun to see folks use those sewing button, they actually look pretty good at this scale. That hold floor looks great!

Started the process of weathering the bottom. I'm going to try to go the route of using pastels for most of the areas as I personally get a little bit more control. I'm just not as airbrush savvy as most of you guys. The dots will be airbrushed and some of the streaking, but overall mostly pastels and washes. I'm not going to try to copy ILM exact but rather try to capture what they were portraying on film.

again, sorry for the crappy pics.

IMAG0730_zpsnok3tpu0.jpg

IMAG0731_zpsnyqllhqu.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. comments, critiques and suggestions are always welcome!

Bill

Thanks bwize. It's getting to the fun stuff now.

A small update. I was shopping with the wife and kids and ran across some light up LED branches for floral arrangements for about $6. Looking closer I saw that the lights are pretty much perfect size and flat top so I thought they'd be perfect for the white landing lights after ripping the lights off the branches. It came with a 3 AA battery pack and 30 lights so I have spares for other lights else where. I'll have to talk to someone to see if it's possible to somehow wire them into the circuit board from the kit, otherwise I'll just leave them on their own and figure out where to stash the battery or other power source. Here are a few shots with them temporarily in place. I'll likely use some rubber glue or something to tack them in that can easily be removed.

DSC_0381_zpsxlfmxbg7.jpg

DSC_0380_zpssjljw8k4.jpg

DSC_0383_zpsgomkvkgl.jpg

DSC_0386_zpscpwvkmyj.jpg

DSC_0385_zpssgb2weqh.jpg

Now I just need the red safety lights.

Thanks for checking it out.

Bill

ok guys, I sure could use some advice. I know little to nothing about 'lectricity stuff so hopefully some of you lighting gurus can help me out. This is what the wiring for the lights I bought looks like.
DSC_0387_zpswandapzl.jpg

What you see is the power lead comes out of a 3 x AA box with a switch and runs to this cluster of 10 lights, (2 runs of 3 lights and 2 runs of 2 lights). From there it branches off to another cluster of the same set up and then repeats that again for a total of 3 segments with 30 lights. I assume this is some kind of series/parallel combination but I don't quite understand how LEDs are supposed to be calculated. What I'd like to do is perhaps remove 10 or 12 of the light's I'm not using for the white landing lights and replace them with smaller 2mm red LEDs for the safety lights. I understand that red LEDs are typically of a lower voltage than the white ones so I don't know what I'd need to do to safely do this. I also don't know if it's wired currently with each light having it's own resister or if they have one inside the box for all of the lights. Is it possible to do what I'd like or would I be better off using the extra lights for something else like hall lights or cockpit or something and getting something else for the red lights?

A second part of this question is how difficult and/or safe would it be to try to run this into the supplied circuit board? I don't have the board yet so I can't test anything (not that I would without knowing first) but I should be getting it next month I think. I can buy some connectors but I really don't want to fry anything if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance, any and all help is much appreciated.
Bill

Last edited:
I just realized I haven't posted any progress on this build in some time so figured I'd catch this up to date. With all the whining I've done over DeAgo s issues, the model itself really isn't that bad. It's actually quite good and is good bones for detailing. Is it worth the price? That's an individual decision. So here is where I am currently. I Put it on hold temporarily while I wait for more side wall frames and I'm now working on my star destroyer. It's not exciting stuff here but I don't want to let it fall behind too far.

Ramp. Going to try to work out a good motor location that's not in the walkway.

DSC_0398_zps8wfmcvma.jpg

Electronics so far. Using terminal strips to make changing easier if I ever need to.

DSC_0399_zpsh9nzxtqk.jpg

DSC_0404_zpsmjarcgn3.jpg

DSC_0403_zps9a4truzl.jpg

DSC_0402_zps7dbllam0.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. Comments, critiques and suggestions welcome.

Bill

Last edited:
Hey guys. Just touching base with where I am on this build. I have officially received all of the shipments so I can start putting things together and stacking upper and lower hulls to figure out how I want to cram everything in. I've started working on the recessed pit areas of the ship and am not going to go for an exact copy of what the filming miniature looked like but rather maybe a little less rushed and hopefully more realistic weathering approach. Here's what I have so far. I still want to throw a little more color here and there and make the contrast a bit more, but overall I'm happy with where these are going.I'd like to have some of the pipes showing more heat stress by adding some blues and purples to it but not positive yet.

IMAG1007_zpsuazfqcpd.jpg

IMAG1006_zpsehroizno.jpg

IMAG1008_zpshoodc8gg.jpg

Bill

G'day niart , ( that o.k.? ) ,
Liking what you've done so far re ; the ramp hinge and sourcing of ' alternate ' lights . Have you seen what's on offer at ' Shapeways ' for a still operable ramp/motor assembly , or are you going to design your own ? ( motorised or not ) .
Don't know if you recall but , you mentioned awhile back that you weren't happy with the scale/size of the supplied gun turret housings ( too small ) , and that you'd possibly build/scratch your own . Was wondering how you're going with that , and any updates on it . A fellow Aussie builder ( vj mojo ) came up with a neat mod - here on the rpf .
Anyhoo , thanks for sharing and please keep posting . Cheers Ged :thumbsup

Thanks Ged. I have done a little on the guns but not much to show. Hope to get back to them soon.

Some slow but steady progress is being done on this build. I'm considering breaking from the typical way the interior hold is meant to be installed and instead of bracing it from the lower hull with posts or walls, I think I may attach it to the upper hull instead. That will allow me to insure that the seam along the tops of the walls are nice and snug and it frees up the underside for whatever space I may need for wires and the detailed equipment bays. The drawback is that I'd have to have the power supply running to everything in the holds and halls and will likely have to incorporate some sort of plugs in case I ever need to remove the top. I don't think that will be too difficult and I think the pay off of having the interior sitting more firmly in place will outweigh any issues. Here are a few preliminary shots with it mocked up in place. This is simply taped in so it's not exactly where it goes but it's an indication that I think my plan will work. This also will allow me to put any details I want at the top of the bay, like air ducts, frames, lights etc.. without fear of later not fitting with the top on.

IMAG1047_zps7yel9cxa.jpg

IMAG1049_zpsa5rfb4lf.jpg

IMAG1050_zpsovqktdiw.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.
Bill

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back