Why are the Ghosterbusters threads locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

What can be said that hasn't already been said multiple times? GEEZ.

Isn't that the point of discussion forums? To have ongoing discussions about movies? If it was the best movie ever, would it be shut down because it ran its course and the point was made?

When I a movie is bad it's fun to rip it. When a movie is great, it's nice to say that too.

Isn't that the point of discussion forums? To have ongoing discussions about movies? If it was the best movie ever, would it be shut down because it ran its course and the point was made?

When I a movie is bad it's fun to rip it. When a movie is great, it's nice to say that too.

Yes and no.

It's not merely what gets discussed, but also how it gets discussed.

I think there were a few key problems with the most recent thread:

- There wasn't much actual discussion happening. It was just raw animus directed at the films. "BLARG! IT SUCKED!" can only be said so many different ways, and after a while that's basically all that was being said. There wasn't really critical discussion in the sense of picking apart what didn't work. Just blarg, it sucked.

- There were only maybe 3-4 people engaged in a round-robin of "blarg, blarg, blarg, it sucked, gently down the stream." While that's a mild annoyance, the real problem with it was that whenever other people would interject with something like "Check out this behind the scenes prop photo" or "Hey, look at this benefit this local ghostheads chapter did for a sick kid," a couple of those people would dive in with a loud chorus of "STOP DISTRACTING FROM OUR BLARGING! IT SUCKED AND NOTHING CAN CHANGE THAT!" This created a really obnoxious atmosphere for everyone except those who wanted to s*** on the film.

- Which brings me to, I think, the most problematic point. There were basically two people who attempted to take over the thread as their personal venting ground, and actively crowded out any kind of contrary or simply not-blarging discussion. They tried to turn the thread into "HATERS ONLY!! EVERYONE ELSE KEEP OUT!" With one that may not have been the intention, but it ended up playing out that way. With the other, it absolutely was the intention, and, well, screw that. In a thread that's labeled "Come here for Hate Talk about [movie]," ok, I can see where someone might be justified in saying "Why are you even here if you aren't going to hate-talk the film? Go away." But the thread was an open thread with no subject other than talking about GB16. Not hate-talking, just talking. Anything and everything related to GB16, which goes beyond merely "THIS FILM SUCKED!"

Ultimately, I think the thread was damaging the community in a way that most other threads -- even the contentious ones with debates -- don't. Debates are fine. Differences of opinion are fine. Discussions about those differences are fine. But we have to share this community with each other, and that means that no thread -- especially not an open, general-topic thread -- is anyone's personal venting ground to the exclusion of all else. None of us "own" threads like that, but that was the message that was coming across, and it was happening in a really hostile, obnoxious way.

We're all free to disagree, but don't be disagreeable about it. The thread crossed that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back