Which G R A F L E X Should I convert?

Fusion

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my very first conversion (and given how crazy expensive these things are) I feel compelled to proceed cautiously.

Trying to decide which (of two) flash handles to convert, and which to leave unmolested as a 'before' exemplar of a vintage G-R-A-F-L-E-X. Both show signs of... maintenance work?

One came with a very cool Speed Graphic camera, two reflectors, and two bottoms (2-cell & 3-cell) from a seller who made no mention of Star Wars in the sale and no doubt came away pleasantly surprised. This G-R-A-F-L-E-X is in very nice condition but had clearly popped a few bulbs over its lifetime. We would call this a Choice EF with nice surfaces in the coin collecting world. Upon close examination, I noticed it had some file marks on the tab behind an in-tact vintage-looking rivet with a pristine head.

IMG_2264.JPG

The other purportedly came as found from an estate sale back in the 1990s from a seller that lives in Rochester and basically sat on the thing until they got crazy expensive. I KNOW this guy came away happy ;-$. It is in absolutely pristine condition (Choice AU in numismatic parlance) - except - the tail of the original rivet has been completely filed down. There are marks on the head of the rivet as well.

View attachment IMG_2272.JPG

So, my question: Is is sort of thing commonly seen on intake G-R-A-F-L-E-X found in the wild? Did the bulb clamps on these commonly need work or replacing?

And, my conundrum: Which one should I convert? (yeah, I know, both, right?)
I had envisioned keeping the nicest example as my exemplar; for collectibility. Yet, the pristine one seems to be 'pre-prepped' for conversion...

Advice? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

-- JAG

Indeed ... I agree both should be converted ... eventhough prices and values are crazy ... nothing can beat a true vintage G R A F L E X lightsaber made with original parts ... next up get yourself an Exactra 19 or 20 or TI-2000 (Made in Italy) only those 3 contain the correct 7 bubblestrip for the activation buttons for ANH ... as for ESB ... ask member thd9791 or parfaitelumere if they still have vintage ESB electric boards available :)

Chaim

LoL. I guess that response was predicable. I would want this to be a full up vintage build, as much as practical. That would mean, if its positively know, and reasonably available, I'd want to obtain the correct vintage part. As I understand it, this means I would need another red button, the Exactra calculator you mention, and possibly a Kobold grip ring?

For other things, like the T-grip material, and the d-ring, no one has any idea; and I need to just go with screen accurate modern substitutes.

And, I guess, I would need at least one Folmer New York, too....

The circuit edge connector board, however, seems to be one part in controversy. I have seen reference to an HP-44 bus calculator board - which as far as I can tell doesn't really exist. I had imagined being able to noodle this out logically based on reasonable availability, relative costs, and the region the movie was made in. But, after learning about all the whacky things went into the Obi saber- from jet engine parts, WWI RPGs, straight thru to the kitchen sink - well, maybe I should give up that conceit before I get hurt.

So, does anyone have know edge of what type/manufacturer/model unit the circuit card was hacked from to get this part?

If your budget is small you could always go with Roy's kits ANH and ESB ... then slowly work your way up to the real vintage parts. I started with an early Park's replica OB1 and then bought another made by Gavidoc before I committed myself to start gathering all the vintage parts for OB1 ANH . . . which I hope to finish this year ... finally ... along with my Luke ANH/ESB.

Ask thd9791 ... Tom found some real ESB connector parts in an elevator circuit panel as I recall. As for the Folmer New York . . . it would be nice to score but not necessary ... probably the other versions were used on set in ESB too ... they always come in pairs + stunt versions or more :)

Chaim

Thanks Chaim, I really respect your input. I'm willing to spend the money and slowly collect the right parts before I even begin a project. I tend to keep using my stuff until it turns to dust, too. I'm old school like that.

Nice to know it's reasonable not to wait for a Folmer. And even then, I suppose that it's more an issue with the ESB vs the ANH, which is the one I will start with.

I'm a (old) EE, so let me get back on the track of the circuit edge card. I'm actually pretty surprised - with all the amazing detective work that I've read done on these boards - that hasn't been nailed down hard just yet. Can you point me at a good reference photo(s) for the actual props with the circuit edge connector visible?

Also, if you know anybody interested in selling one of their calculators (preferably one messed up enough I won't feel horrible about killing it by pulling the bubble strip out) appropriate to the ANH, that would be much appreciated.

Game on!

Exactra's can be found on ebay regularly for around $100 ... otherwise you can post a WTB in the Junkyard section too :) Here are some pictures of the so-called Ranch saber still in the Lucasfilm Archives :

Ranch_007-vi_zpsceb150bc.jpg

LukeESB-04_zps7509d7ae.jpg

LukeESB-05_zpsa3cfcf8b.jpg

And here the vintage board I'll use for my ESB build :

ESBboard_zps43400824.jpg

Word of advice in regards to the screen-accuracy bug ... - don't make it real, make it believable - GL

Chaim

Given the wide variation that likely existed in the sabers used to make the films, I think my interest is primarily in using vintage parts and materials; components the prop makers had access to and likely used. Screen accuracy and post production research will serve as a guide, but not a requirement. I think that is probably the best one can do while remaining sane and reasonably solvent.

Now, as for my partner in crime... this is going to be a joint father/son project. And the little man (okay, more like a medium man now) is all about the internal reveal crystal chamber sound & llight show aspect of the project. It's gonna be interesting...

That's really cool your son is in on it too. My kids like the props, and have a few interests in props of their own, but they prefer to watch Dad work on his and check out "what's new" on the shelves. They do have a sense of pride though and even show them to their friends when they come over lol.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back