Sequels

JediMichael

Master Member
So my fiance and I were talking about movie sequels and mainly which ones were better than the original. A lot of people would say Empire Strikes Back would be the best answer. I also think Terminator 2 would also be a good one.
So, just to see what anyone else thinks, what movie do you think had a better sequel...?

I disagree that ESB is better than ANH, but I do think T2 edges out T1 by a slim margin. As for other sequels that I believe surpassed their original, I'd have to say off the top of my head:

* Aliens > Alien
* Road Warrior > Mad Max
* TWOK > STTM
* Lethal Weapon 2 > Lethal Weapon

The Wook

I've always said ESB is cooler. But ANH is Better.

It IS Star Wars after all ... Both in name and in soul.

Apollo, GREAT and easy call on GF2.

I disagree that ESB is better than ANH, but I do think T2 edges out T1 by a slim margin. As for other sequels that I believe surpassed their original, I'd have to say off the top of my head:

* Aliens > Alien
* Road Warrior > Mad Max
* TWOK > STTM

The Wook

Apollo, GREAT and easy call on GF2.

I can't put G2 above G1, because as much as I love DeNiro, his scenes as the young Vito bore me. I respect that they did it in Italian, but with all the subtitles, and something about the way they filmed it, lost me. Pacino shines in the film, but the best part of G2 are the flashbacks of Brando's Vito. So I prefer G1, because we get more Brando--the piece de resistance of the Godfather film franchise. Plus, we get to witness Michael's transformation. His scene in the restaurant with the cop and the gun behind the toilet is fracking intense! And his coronation, in the wake of his father's passing, at the end of the film is chilling.

The Wook

I cant put Aliens above Alien.....Alien is a major motion picture,...Aliens is a cheesy TV Movie......still fun though,...but not on the same level

J

I cant put Aliens above Alien.....Alien is a major motion picture,...Aliens is a cheesy TV Movie......still fun though,...but not on the same level

J

The way I look at it, there is more than one 'level' in which you can measure these two movies. On the level of suspense, sure. Alien has that in spades. But on the level where you measure the kind of story they're telling, the way they develops their characters and just an overall entertainment factor, ALIENS excels. I find the characters more interesting with a story that has much more going for it. Plus if you want to see which one has had the most cultural impact, well, which movie is more referenced? I can certainly attest that ALIENS is not only the most quoted film of the two, but also for the whole darn franchise.

TV movies. Ha.

The way I look at it, there is more than one 'level' in which you can measure these two movies. On the level of suspense, sure. Alien has that in spades. But on the level where you measure the kind of story they're telling, the way they develops their characters and just an overall entertainment factor, ALIENS excels. I find the characters more interesting with a story that has much more going for it. Plus if you want to see which one has had the most cultural impact, well, which movie is more referenced? I can certainly attest that ALIENS is not only the most quoted film of the two, but also for the whole darn franchise.

TV movies. Ha.

Steak or Burger

I love both

But in the end you can see which one is the better quality

Aliens is a great film, but Alien is a masterpiece

J

Look who's talking Too
Police Academy 2
Grease 2

Great sequels.

Only joking!

T2 seems to be the best sequel I can think of alongside Empire strikes back.

Star Trek 2 wrath of khan is another classic.

i love T2, but its just a remake of the first one with more money/fx. Empire all the way

The only thing T2 had in common was the plot framework. They both featured a pair of future-warriors chasing present-day people in a battle over the future. The similarities fit into a couple of sentences.

The major characters & themes in T2 had all gone in totally different directions from the first movie. Basically unrecognizable.

Last edited:
I don;t know if you call this a sequel, but the Wet hot american summer :first day of camp on netflix is just about as perfect as a comedy can be.

It's a parody of a parody

* Aliens > Alien
* Road Warrior > Mad Max
* TWOK > STTM

The Wook

Ok I might get yelled at for this, but what Is TWOK and STTM?

Also might get crap for this but I like Beverly Hills Cop 2 better than the original, and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is technically a sequel and man. I LOVE that one over the others.

Ok I might get yelled at for this, but what Is TWOK and STTM?

Also might get crap for this but I like Beverly Hills Cop 2 better than the original, and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is technically a sequel and man. I LOVE that one over the others.

TWOK is The Wrath of Khan, and STTM (should be STTMP) is Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back