Sequels

Ok I might get yelled at for this, but what Is TWOK and STTM?

Also might get crap for this but I like Beverly Hills Cop 2 better than the original, and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is technically a sequel and man. I LOVE that one over the others.

TWOK is The Wrath of Khan, and STTM (should be STTMP) is Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Hmmm, I thought motionpicture was one word.

lol...j/k...good eye Riceball. Sorry for the typo, Snikt.

And as for Christmas Vacation, I'm with you--I give that the nod over Vacation.

The Wook

For me
Star Wars > ESB
Alien >> Aliens - I agree that they are two separate genres but, in their respective genres, Alien is a little better, and more original, horror/sci-fi film than Aliens is an action/sci-fi film.
Godfather > Godfather 2 (but it's close)

The Wrath of Khan >> Star Trek the Motion Picture

The Terminator = T2 - because I like them for different qualities and they both do a good job

The Road Warrior > Mad Max - as with The Terminator series I like them for different qualities but also The Road Warrior is more tightly edited and Mad Max, for all its great content, does have some minutes of "filler"

I preferred The Two Towers to Fellowship of the Ring.

SB

i was thinking about the lotr movies but din't mention them as i don't really consider the two towers as a sequel. whenever i watch lotr i just do a marathon as it is all tied together. Other movies with sequels that were mentioned could have not have that sequel and still be good if you know what i mean. i can watch the first alien and not having to watch the 2nd while lotr you really have to watch as a whole.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

Color of Money

Rocky II
Don't know if Last Crusade and Rambo count as they're sequels to sequels, but if they do, throw Rocky Balboa in there too.

i was thinking about the lotr movies but din't mention them as i don't really consider the two towers as a sequel. whenever i watch lotr i just do a marathon as it is all tied together. Other movies with sequels that were mentioned could have not have that sequel and still be good if you know what i mean. i can watch the first alien and not having to watch the 2nd while lotr you really have to watch as a whole.

It's true that TTT is a continuation of the FotR storyline, and a pretty fluid continuation if you ask me. That's a good point.

But I still liked TTT more than FotR.

SB

The Hustler was better than The Color of Money. The Hustler captured the game better than any film before or since and it's a more personal and disturbingly enduring movie. The Color of Money is a fine movie but it's got a lot more Hollywood polish than reality in it - and the stakes are much, much lower than in The Hustler.

Ok cool, thanks guys for explaining. Not a big Star Trek fan so I had no clue haha. WHOA! Bogus Journey better than Excellent Adventure? Thats crazy talk!

The Hustler was better than The Color of Money. The Hustler captured the game better than any film before or since and it's a more personal and disturbingly enduring movie. The Color of Money is a fine movie but it's got a lot more Hollywood polish than reality in it - and the stakes are much, much lower than in The Hustler.

Valid points, I saw Color of Money a whole load of times as a kid before I realised The Hustler even existed. What can say, I like the polish!

- - - Updated - - -

WHOA! Bogus Journey better than Excellent Adventure?

By a mile!!

My wife and I did a double header of the hustle and the color of money a while back.

It's no contest. The hustler is a great film and the color of money was a cheesy tom cruise vehicle. It was trying to pass the torch

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

i love T2, but its just a remake of the first one with more money/fx.

No way man! A remake is something that doesn't need the first film in order to work. T2 could only work as well as it did because it builds from the first film. Take Sarah Conner in the first half of the film. She's strong, devoted to her cause and shows no fear in the face of opposition.... until she sees the Terminator again. Within the span of a second, Sarah goes from strong capable character about to escape her captors, into a terrified victim who panics and flees in the direction of her captors. It's a moment that can only be appreciated if you knew what she had to endure in the first film. Remakes wouldn't care about things like that.

No way man! A remake is something that doesn't need the first film in order to work. T2 could only work as well as it did because it builds from the first film. Take Sarah Conner in the first half of the film. She's strong, devoted to her cause and shows no fear in the face of opposition.... until she sees the Terminator again. Within the span of a second, Sarah goes from strong capable character about to escape her captors, into a terrified victim who panics and flees in the direction of her captors. It's a moment that can only be appreciated if you knew what she had to endure in the first film. Remakes wouldn't care about things like that.

T2 may reuse the same concept as in bad guy vs good guy, but the story is actually developed and then concluded at the end. I ignore all other sequels. T2 is the end of the story.

What makes T2 really great is the actors. You see Linda Hamilton go from T1 where she is a bog standard damsel in distress to a certified grade A ass kicker in T2!
The difference is astonishing, she really pulls that role off with ease.
I've watched T2 thousands of times and it never gets boring, just a classic.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back