Anyone own the Xcoser Rocketeer helmet? Thoughts? Sizing??

DarkKnightRyan

Hopped on Ebay last night, just to browse and was surprised to discover that Xcoser has released a full over the head Life sized Rocketeer helmet with removable fin!! at $97.00 with free shipping.

Has anyone purchased one of these yet?? First off, I'm sure their far from accurate based on the photos, but as just a starter helmet, it looks actually kind of cool. durability wise? says it's soft resin, and I've heard some of their helmets are often warped, so can only imagine what it might arrive looking like, lol.

I'm just curious what non-stock photos look like, and how large it looks on someone.

51-jJ7ZASIL.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l16002.jpgs-l16003.jpgs-l16004.jpg

I have one on the way, so I'll report when it gets here. I'm aware it doesn't look much like the hero prop, but here's the thing: it looks a LOT like the illustration inside the back cover of the Rocketeer Official Souvenir Magazine that Topps put out when the movie was in theaters. I'm doing the comic book Rocketeer, so everything should go together well. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
I've had my hands on a few of their products. They are typically sized for a 23"-24" head.

The stuff they use does kind of warp. But it also goes back to shape. I would recommend keeping the helmet on a mannequin head or stuffed with towels when not in use. Sunlight will turn their material soft pretty quickly.

Blue painters tape sticks to the material extremely well. It stays there until you move it and does not leave residue behind. Perfect for prototyping padding. I've actually had the same pieces of painters tape in my Star-Lord helmet holding in padding for about 2 years.

I've got one, it's pretty decent quality for the price, but the fin only slots into place, it isn't screwed down. I'm happy with mine, but I'm considering hot glueing the fin in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this very helmet and it is HUGE to the point of parody.

The quality is great, and the finish is nice - but the helmet is too large for me. I have quite a large head anyway (59cm/23") and the helmet pretty much sits on my shoulders.

Anyone have any comparison pictures or measurements putting this helmet next to say an MR or Medicom version or better yet, a hero helmet? Now I'm curious.

Thanks for the input guys! I went ahead and purchased one tonight, and plan to do an unboxing video when it arrives, I'm sure I'll make modifications to it over time, but as a starter helmet, I'm pretty geeked :)

JB Weld the fin and you'll never get the two pieces apart again. I've bedded two Highlander katana hilts with it and it's God's glue. Just make sure you have everything set up beforehand.

Last edited:
Well, my helmet arrived today, and I am less than happy. One of the lenses has glue past the edge into the field of view, the same lens has a dent from the inside that looks like it was made with some sort of tool, and best of all, the fin is in two pieces. If I glue them together there will be a line that will need to be filled and the entire helmet will have to be refinished so everything matches. Are you ****ting me!?View attachment 671883View attachment 671878

Attachments

• 1012161119.jpg
    1012161119.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 351
  • 1012161118a.jpg
    1012161118a.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 376
  • 1012161109a.jpg
    1012161109a.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
The term "you get what you pay for" comes to mind with Xcoser. Saw one of their starlord masks in person...wasn't terrible, but it was terribly small and gave you this decent sized "xcoser" branding in plain site.

Those eyes and mouth are huge!!!

I'm very happy with my Oz helmet top quality casting and very accurate worth every penny.
GFollano

Yeah, this one has an X on the back and another loose one that has holes to put a chain through. Like I'm going to wear it at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

The eyes look a bit bigger than they actually are-selfie effect. The mouth is a little big, though. I'm still pissed that they show the fin as one piece on Ebay and Amazon and even their own site and then this is what they send. I have a feeling that they did this so it would fit in a smaller box. Think I'll take my business elsewhere unless by some chance they can make this right (I know, I know, but one can dream, yes?).
.XCoser Unboxing.jpg
Update: apparently, they won't. They sent me an email saying basically that they come that way. I replied that their ads do not reflect this and that I would like the fin I paid for. Waiting for a reply but not really expecting one. The kicker is that I bought the helmet from them, not Amazon or Ebay, so returning it may turn out to be a bigger hassle than it's worth. Never again.

Update: Been working on the helmet. I was going to go whole hog and cut off the rivets, reshape this and rework that, but then I decided to just stay basic. So far I fixed and filled the fin, filed off that wretched logo in the back, scuffed the entire helmet, shot it with Rust-Oleum metallic, and made a new set of lenses from a motorcycle visor. I cut out the lenses, soaked them in near-boiling water and bent them to fit. Fun it wasn't, and I made a mess gluing them in. I did find out that both JB Kwik and Loctite 1 Minute Epoxy can be removed from clear plastic with Flitz and a soft T shirt, though, so all was not lost. I had been kind of irritated that the original plastic rectangles leaked glue everywhere, but now I get it. As to cosmetics afterward, let's just say that flat black covers a multitude of sins or at least makes them all the same color. Next comes tint for the lenses because they are too clear.
1012161118b.jpg1016161811.jpg1016161811b.jpg1022161007.jpg1021161348.jpg1021161348a.jpg
As to the helmet color, it looks exactly the way it should, at least to my eyes. I've done some weathering on swords and such, but I deliberately avoided it in this case. The radio the helmet was crafted from in the film had what appeared to be a uniform semi-matte finish, and the helmet would not look tarnished after the single day's use depicted in the story's timetable. Just my 2 cents worth.

Update: Done and done. Installed liner/suspension, which by the way is a cut above what you'd expect and which fits my head exactly, filled in vent holes with pieces of one of the liner strips I left out, and JB Welded the fin. Just barely visible in the left lens is the black vinyl sun shade I added to the tops of both openings.
1024161945.jpg1024161729.jpg

And now on to the rocket pack build. This is the beginnings of the Ambrose Aeronautics FM-1, aka the pack Peevy would have built with the plans he had. Art Deco rules!
1025161153.jpg1025161153a.jpg1025161153b.jpg

And done. The harness is a South Beach Leather Rocketeer harness and the pack was originally an Electrolux Model 30.
1031161444.jpg1031161625.jpg

Update: Got an Oz! Check out the differences. I had no idea the Xcoser was that much bigger. Also, the pack is now logoed up. FM refers to Flora Maxwell, of course.

1129161353.jpg1129161351.jpg1109161855a.jpg1106160018.jpg1109161856c.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased one like a less than a month ago an for a state is very good not completely accurate but is better than nothing re paint needed the fin came in Two pcs mine came perfect in the box I hope this helps you

I bought one of their starlord helmets, and it was small but heavily detailed, except for the two xcoser logos on the "ears". If you dont stuff it with a shirt it warps sideways. Im thinking the rocketeer hepmet wont be as prone to do that since it has a top to it, unlike starlord.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back