Plasti-dip Question (for the experts)

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been reading a lot of threads where people use Plasti-dip for armor, costumes, and props. I know it's rubbery and can be painted. My question is how hard is it? Can it be sanded? I really want to try it, but it would be a lot more useful if I can sand it. So anyone that's tried I'd appreciate your advice. Thank you for reading my question.

its not hard per say like a bed liner for a truck, its a coating more like, a facial mask women use? you cannot sand it, but it will resist light scratches. people use it to seal foam because foam is basically a compacted material similar to a kitchen sponge at a micro scale, that's why you hear of it 'soaking in' paints and glues. plastidip serves as a barrier because if something wont stick to foam, itll stick to the plastidip, and the plastidip will stick to the foam. this is similar to chroming pipes. chrome wont stick to steel so they coat it with copper/nickel first.

when you peel it off your car or whathaveyou, it is semi stretchy. heavy coats if the stuff feels like the white plastic bags that or commonly used for soil/mulch/fertilizer in the garden section of home depot, if that makes sense. the texture is like rubber coated plastic like MR lightsaber grips, alternatively, plastidip is also the rubber coating on most pliers in your toolbox (that's what it was made for in the first place).

It actually can be sanded with alcohol and 220 grit sand paper. BUT, you need about 6 coats from the spray can, 3 coats if your brushing it on. Basically it needs to be thick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It actually can be sanded with alcohol and 220 grit sand paper. BUT, you need about 6 coats from the spray can, 3 coats if your brushing it on. Basically it needs to be thick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Would you mind elaborating on this? I'd be very interested in trying out sanding a plastidipped surface. Do you wipe the surface down with alcohol then sand with the 600 grit paper? Does it require a lot of alcohol present on the surface? Thanks.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back