Favorite sound effects?

as i sit right now in the parking lot trying to leave work... my starter lets go... makes me think of the sound the falcon makes with the broken hyper drive....

i'm making the sound right now lol.... oh AAA where are u...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as i sit right now in the parking lot trying to leave work... my starter lets go... makes me think of the sound the falcon makes with the broken hyper drive....

i'm making the sound right now lol.... oh AAA where are u...

hansolohittinghisship.gif

As my screen name is apt, Han's blaster sound is one of my absolute favorites. I know the regular blasters were from tapping a guide wire and the tv tube bit for lightsabers but, I don't think I've ever heard how they did that one.

Other favorite sounds:
Proton pack powering up.
Speeder bikes
Aliens Motion tracker, solo unsettling and anxiety building.
Gen1 TF footsteps
Hyperdrive engines
The 'swoosh' door sounds from Alien/s

Last edited:
View attachment 666297

As my screen name is apt, Han's blaster sound is one of my absolute favorites. I know the regular blasters were from tapping a guide wire and the tv tube bit for lightsabers but, I don't think I've ever heard how they did that one.

Other favorite sounds:
Proton pack powering up.
Speeder bikes
Aliens Motion tracker, solo unsettling and anxiety building.
Gen1 TF footsteps
Hyperdrive engines
The 'swoosh' door sounds from Alien/s

oh man i forgot the proton pack start up and hum! yes add that tommy list!

Very true!

I forgot to put that on my list too. Especially for how "unspectacular" and no fancy, special sounds it sounds like a real world piece of equipment. Same with the Proton pack and that's why I think I like them so much.

They decided to use that particular roar to show that Rexy was, in fact, much older than original.

Ah, well my own Google-Fu revealed this: https://books.google.com/books?id=Y...rman the movie opening credits whoosh&f=false

Don't know if it will help, though.

Could have used the original roar and just pitched it a little lower :p

Well not really. But still a nice read, thanks :D
:wacko "Nondiegetic woosh" never heard of that before. That is a little something to add to my English vocabulary :lol

I have slowly started working on recreating the Superman intro sequence and thought I would try and recreate that particular sound effect :)

Last edited:
BTTF DTM opening door sound.
BTTF 1 DTM 'time traveling' sound.
The "Eric Serra" signature sound
The sound effect of a lightsaber when it is swung, only the "swung" sound effect.
The JP T-Rex roar. So damn iconic.

BTTF DTM opening door sound.
BTTF 1 DTM 'time traveling' sound.
The "Eric Serra" signature sound
The sound effect of a lightsaber when it is swung, only the "swung" sound effect.
The JP T-Rex roar. So damn iconic.

i heard they used a elephant and a loin and put it together to make the trex roar. i dont know if its true but i swear i can hear a elephant after i read that

i heard they used a elephant and a loin and put it together to make the trex roar. i dont know if its true but i swear i can hear a elephant after i read that
Not sure about whether a loin used but an elephant sound was definitely used, in fact, you can blatantly hear one of the most common stock elephant sounds used for the T-Rex roar (without mixing or altering the sound at all) notably after the T-Rex catches one of the running gallimimus. In JP

I'll add one more of my favorites.
The troll roar in LotR. It wasn't heard in LotR first as I've heard it in some movies made prior to LotR. I think LotR made that sound effect recognizable so I know it as the "troll" roar :)

...The slow energy build up sound used in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (During second warp attempt, both incoming V'Ger plasma bolts and the V'Ger tractor beam) and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Gaining speed during Time Warp).
Similar to this, the loud "whirring" sound in the original Star Trek series whenever they would increase or decrease the Enterprise's warp speed. I don't remember hearing it in any of the movies or spin-off series', and I miss it.

Oh, this particular set always chills my blood.

It's just so... beautifully perfect.

Mysterious and menacing, the sound designers really hit it out of the park with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar to this, the loud "whirring" sound in the original Star Trek series whenever they would increase or decrease the Enterprise's warp speed. I don't remember hearing it in any of the movies or spin-off series', and I miss it.

It's very interesting how after TNG started that the franchise did away with all interior sounds of the ship in warp. The most recent instance where we hear the warp drive sound was from the Enterprise episode Regeneration.

It's very interesting how after TNG started that the franchise did away with all interior sounds of the ship in warp. The most recent instance where we hear the warp drive sound was from the Enterprise episode Regeneration.
I understand it to some degree. Even in the real world "soundproofing" has become something of an issue. Cars, for example, are much quieter than they were only 40 years ago (if you turn off all of the electronic nonsense, that is). But it was a simple sound cue that implied something was actually happening when the Captain ordered a change in speed. Now it's, "*beep* Okay Captain, I've pushed the button and we are now traveling at Ludicrous Speed." :rolleyes

Oh, this particular set always chills my blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ujj6BAw1FE

It's just so... beautifully perfect.

Mysterious and menacing, the sound designers really hit it out of the park with this one.

I don't care what they say that movie holds up so damned well to this day, all of George Pal's movies tend to. As for star trek Scotty even said in Next Gen that in the original ship you could feel the deck plates moving to the point he could tell you the speed. After the decades between the shows it makes sense that things got quieter.

I love the opening and closing of Vaders meditation chamber. And the sound of his helmet sealing. Pretty much anything Ben Burtt has made. He's the Mozart or Vivaldi of sound effects. Like Joe Viskocil is with pyro !

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back