Preserving Gelatin Prosthetics

Bladespirit

So I am going to give a go at making my own prosthetics using foamed gelatin and I was wondering if I could use potassium sorbate to preserve it so the prosthetic doesn't go bad. I previously bought some fx gelatin from Amazon and I noticed the description says it never goes bad and they have potassium sorbate listed. Anyone have an idea of what the ratio would be for potassium sorbate?

Fx Gelatin: https://www.amazon.com/Professional...TF8&qid=1474399899&sr=8-2&keywords=fx+gelatin

Ingredients: Gelatin, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use the Kevin Haney formula and haven't had a problem with preservation. I'll be interested to see how your foamed gelatin works out. I played with it briefly but went back to regular gelatin because I found it difficult to work with.

Since you all are talking about it, what is the difference between foamed gelatin prosthetics and foamed latex prosthetics? Is one easier to work with than the other?

I wouldn't be able to tell you the exact difference, from my understanding they are pretty close but gelatin is much cheaper and you don't need to cook it. If you Google how to make foam latex you'll see it's a bit difficult to make and the hot foam latex method requires a dedicated oven. With the foamed gelatin method you basically use your regular gelatin recipe but you add some dish soap and whip it up to create air bubbles, this makes it lighter and close to foam latex consistency.

It's nowhere near foam latex consistency. It ends up being just a slightly lighter weight gelatin piece. I found it was difficult to get consistent results, and the payoff was minimal, but I was also using baking soda for the foaming agent. Who knows, maybe it'll be good for you!

I've found gelatin works well for quick, small pieces on areas that don't get a lot of movement. Foam latex and silicone are superior for most situations.

I'm using foamed gelatin due to people pulling at my foam latex masks and ripping them (also learning so I'm going cheap). I've seen a few people mention dish soap for the foaming agent so hopefully it works well!

If you seen YouTube videos about elephant toothpaste, foaming gelatin is basically that. A gelatin base with Hydrogen peroxide mixed in it to replace sorbitol and/or water, but still the glycerin and gelatin combined. Then just mix yeast and water in a small cup and add to the melted mix. That pharmacy peroxide is too weak, it won't react fast enough. The stuff from beauty supply stores react pretty good. Maybe drop some dish soap in the gelatin mix for a finer foam.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back