AKIRA power bike-based electric bike build

Yes, flip clocks turn one flip per minute. You not only have to figure out the electronics, but also the gearing system to flip once per SECOND.

But nothing like what you're doing. :D:cool

The Traverstson V-Rex has a solid rubber tire at the rear (no flat with this baby;))...someone mentioned Aviation Tires; you could also look into chopper tires (many models without an inner tube). Love what you're doing and the craziness behind it!

Yes, flip clocks turn one flip per minute. You not only have to figure out the electronics, but also the gearing system to flip once per SECOND.

But nothing like what you're doing. :D:cool
The flip is more like magic to me than science...it seems so hard and complicated. This build? I don't think it's easy, but I have an idea of how to do it! hehehehehehe

The Traverstson V-Rex has a solid rubber tire at the rear (no flat with this baby;))...someone mentioned Aviation Tires; you could also look into chopper tires (many models without an inner tube). Love what you're doing and the craziness behind it!

Thank you for your interest!! The V-Rex certainly is a weird crazy-looking bike, but the sterring mechanism is so cool, that’s why it’s included. More Soon!!

The flip is more like magic to me than science...it seems so hard and complicated. This build? I don't think it's easy, but I have an idea of how to do it! hehehehehehe

Yes, I'll likely end up making my own gears by 3D printing. Flip clocks just aren't designed to do once a second. I've got to find an existing motor and modify it by adding a rate of spin change using a gear ratio conversion. It's kinda like making your own transmission instead of using an existing transmission.

Yes, I'll likely end up making my own gears by 3D printing. Flip clocks just aren't designed to do once a second. I've got to find an existing motor and modify it by adding a rate of spin change using a gear ratio conversion. It's kinda like making your own transmission instead of using an existing transmission.

I see....sort of like a gear box for the motor that is running it.....mmmm...interesting. Gonna go with servos? or regular DC motor (RC car)?

I see....sort of like a gear box for the motor that is running it.....mmmm...interesting. Gonna go with servos? or regular DC motor (RC car)?

I picked out some motors that are 4 rotations per minute and I'm going to use gears to reduce the rotation to 1 a minute. And then I have to renumber (with adhesive printed labels) the numbers from 58 (or so) down to 0. With the final symbols being the Egyptian symbols. I'll have a sound board playing the Alarm sound that keeps going off while the final numbers count down. As I say, this is outside my normal type of prop, so we'll see if it arrives at a final working version.

I picked out some motors that are 4 rotations per minute and I'm going to use gears to reduce the rotation to 1 a minute. And then I have to renumber (with adhesive printed labels) the numbers from 58 (or so) down to 0. With the final symbols being the Egyptian symbols. I'll have a sound board playing the Alarm sound that keeps going off while the final numbers count down. As I say, this is outside my normal type of prop, so we'll see if it arrives at a final working version.

DC motors? sounds cool, do you have a thread for that? so I can follow your progress

Update! I have been looking for the tires, however since I'm going with RIM 21 and I want something that is not off-road, I haven't found them yet, will continue to look for them this week.

I have settled on a brushless DC motor, running at 96v, it has enough torque to move everything and will grant me over 100 Kph (62.5 mph) which I think is fine to give you that fighter-jet speed feeling.

Oh boy, if you can, I think it'd be neat to make a price list for everything you've purchased for this build.

Hi! Billy, thank you for your interest, actually I am keeping a list of all the “projected” parts, as in the parts and costs of what I expect this build to cost (trusty Excel) and next to it I’m keeping a list of what I actually paid for it once I get to that stage, so in the end hopefully I’ll be able to compare and see how much this whole thing needed, I did a similar thing for the Mark 1 but I’m sure I forgot a couple of things, so it’s an approximation, now I’m trying to be more disciplined in keeping record, and also because this build will be far more complex than the Mark 1, which was basically modify an existing bike, the Mark 2 is to build one from scratch, and a special design at that, with a new motor, and new batteries, so there’s a lot to consider, hence the projected “price list” and the real money spent

Last edited:
Hi! Billy,thank you for your interest, actually I am keeping a list of all the “projected” parts, as in the parts and costs of what I expect this build to cost (trusty Excel) and next to it I’m keeping a list of what I actually paid for it once I get to that stage, so in the end hopefull I’ll be able to compare and see how much this whole thing needed, I did a similar thing for the Mark 1 but I’m sure I forgot a couple of things, so it’s an approximation, now I’m trying to be more disciplined in keeping record, and also because this build will be far more complex than the Mark 1, which was basically modify an existing bike, the Mark 2 is to build one from scratch, and a special design at that, with a new motor, and new batteries, so there’s a lot to consider, hence the projected “price list” and the real money spent

Definitely, the most complex thing I ever did was nowhere near the scale of what you're trying to accomplish...my automotive knowledge is limited to maintenance on my Sentra and 2007 R6.

I look forward to seeing your spreadsheet when you're done!

Yes, I should start my own thread instead of stealing yours ! :D

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=269719&p=4126029#post4126029

I now return your thread back to you. ;) (sorry 'bout that)

no worries buddy, it's just that I want to see pictures of your progress too!! Hehehe.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely, the most complex thing I ever did was nowhere near the scale of what you're trying to accomplish...my automotive knowledge is limited to maintenance on my Sentra and 2007 R6.

I look forward to seeing your spreadsheet when you're done!

for sure! that will be THE list!

Update: I found the tires! a couple of RIM 21 tires that have a nice feeling to them, next: I gotta find the wheels for those guys, and put the whole thing together.

IMG-20160617-WA0014.jpg

Last edited:
No update just yet as I'm still looking for suitable wheels for the guys above. But fear not! progress still advances in other areas (mostly research.....I know, boring)

Do you know the aprox. weight of the bike?..and do you think that these wheels will be good enough for it?

Thank you for your interest Joberg. Weight? just an estimation: aprox 125 KG. You pose a very good question: will the wheels be able to handle the weight, it is such a good question that I have no definitive answer right now, I expect them to, but it's very much a trial an error at this point, with the holidays looming on the horizon and family things all over the place, the chassis will start on Jan. I get more excited at the idea of it rolling in the streets flanked by regular bikes and cars, and people not knowing what is it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back