1/72 BSG Viper MK VII, MK II and Cylon Raider

blakeh1

Sr Member
These Moebius kits are great little kits.

Quick to build and paint.

This would have been a one evening project, but I had to let the Testors Model Master Intermediate blue enamel base coat sit for close to a week before it no longer felt "sticky" ( I avoid Testors paints like the plague if possible. So many recommendations for color though were the Intermediate Blue so I went with it)

Overall though, probably no more than 4 hours start to finish

Prime black, base coat Intermediate Blue, add some stipled white and black oils to get the subtle "mottling" effect and add some black oil washes and some Tamiya silver weathering powders and black pastels around the panel edges

Seeing these pictures now though, I think I have to integrate the decals a little more into the weathering instead of looking like they were thrown on as an after thought. I put them on after weathering when I really should have put them on before. I was just afraid of the turpenoid oil washes screwing them up

aTS9BDf.jpg

aJ9llrH.jpg

tchZYOB.jpg

And to get a sense of how it stacks up to other sci-fi sujects in 1/72 scale....
Seems a bit small comparatively. If it is truly 1/72 then they are pretty small fighters compared to the others (again assuming 100% accurate scale)

Last edited:
Re: 1/72 Viper MK VII

Wow. 4 hours??? That would have taken me a month. lol
Looks great, man. :thumbsup

Seeing these pictures now though, I think I have to integrate the decals a little more into the weathering instead of looking like they were thrown on as an after thought. I put them on after weathering when I really should have put them on before. I was just afraid of the turpenoid oil washes screwing them up

That's why I Future everything.
I'll paint a warbird so it looks almost factory-fresh, Future it, decal it, then Future it again.
Then you can wash, stain, and weather to your heart's content without worrying about your decals at all.
It's like a coat of armor. Really, it looks and feels like your model was molded with your color and decals already on it.
And as long as you're careful with it, terpenoids won't harm it, either. Just don't be too heavy-handed and you'll be fine.
I swear by the stuff.

This was the first time I used future before putting on the decals. It sure did a great job of getting rid of the "silvering" as it's really hard to tell they are decals

On the next one I will add decals earlier on as you said and seal again with Future. That stuff is sure some amazing stuff

I was afraid of having a reaction between the turpenoids and future since I usually do my oils before any sealing

There I go, preaching to the converted again...
Sorry. I finally started modeling with the stuff about 10 years ago, and it's such a game-changer I push it on everybody whenever I can.

So I finished one of each of the other 1/72 kits and the second MK VII Viper I built with Landing gear down

These were really quick builds, mostly just testing out colors and weathering techniques before tackling the larger 1/32 versions

NI8Sl8R.jpg

15qJdQA.jpg

DailYIk.jpg

With the Raider I tried a ix of Tamiya Gun Metal and Gloss Aluminum straight from the spray cans over a gloss black primer. The gloos black primer must have had somethign wrong, or maybe wasn;t designed for plastic as it started peeling off in places when I pulled off the masking tape. It also took over 2 weeks to dry and I didn't spray that much on. So parts of it got a bit rough with repairs to the base coats,. I Just didn't fell like stripping it. I still have another to build anyway

p58N0bw.jpg

yFHSeCL.jpg

G0aUfCT.jpg

7ODmHe2.jpg

Zr176RD.jpg

Very nice trio you've got there.

I have to confess, I'm not up on the new BG, I've only seen the older original, but jeez, that Cylon Raider screams HR Giger.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back