TND's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion

Small update on a 5 min job from last night. Just some earth magnets for a rotating radar dish ( mainly to give it a breakaway function in case it gets bumped.

CBE74429-CEDE-4EBC-83AD-E732F6155381.jpg

D8957755-4085-4A21-90B9-4A0328DC1C7A.jpg

52DD7034-4AB5-4AF2-AB6D-F2860D7906EF.jpg

1B60115C-CF9F-4703-A71D-AD92ABE6D1FF.jpg

Good idea on those magnets! RE: light blocking in the 'engine', try lining the LED box with self adhesive aluminum foil tape (used for sealing HVAC ducts - but it isn't 'duck' tape, but an actual foil.) The shine will help with reflecting light out the opening to some degree as well... especially if you make a reflector shape for the LEDs.

About the lip on the cockpit tunnel tube, I assume it is interfering with the fit of the cockpit? It appears that the cockpit interior piece is deep enough to provide support for the cone, especially if you can build in a shaped frame & keyed slot in the tunnel portion to mate up with the cockpit parts. You could even make a securing pin or screw to pass through the assembly, hidden under a upper tunnel 'trench' greeblie detail. That way you can remove the cockpit cone later if needed.

BTW, whose 'Chewie' figure did you use? I saw multipart figures on Shapeways, though I'm trying to remember the store...

R/ Robert

Robert,

the han and chewie are both from Satyr's models on shapeways. Personally I like the Han a lot but the chewie in seated position lacks some detail and was a pain to get to fit. Same guy has the multi part figures.

Nice idea regarding the support pin. I need to think about that.

Thanks.

den

Good idea on those magnets! RE: light blocking in the 'engine', try lining the LED box with self adhesive aluminum foil tape (used for sealing HVAC ducts - but it isn't 'duck' tape, but an actual foil.) The shine will help with reflecting light out the opening to some degree as well... especially if you make a reflector shape for the LEDs.

About the lip on the cockpit tunnel tube, I assume it is interfering with the fit of the cockpit? It appears that the cockpit interior piece is deep enough to provide support for the cone, especially if you can build in a shaped frame & keyed slot in the tunnel portion to mate up with the cockpit parts. You could even make a securing pin or screw to pass through the assembly, hidden under a upper tunnel 'trench' greeblie detail. That way you can remove the cockpit cone later if needed.

BTW, whose 'Chewie' figure did you use? I saw multipart figures on Shapeways, though I'm trying to remember the store...

R/ Robert

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice work! Are you doing landing gear?

Thanka flatus, no landing gear. I want to display her in flight.

So I'm looking at acrylic glossy black sheets online.

Anyone have thoughts as to how big ( or small rather ) and what shape I should get to properly display the ship and have enough weight to support it well.

I think mounting the panavise directly onto the acrylic with screws/bolts will prob work. Any thoughts there?

Thanks

den

Last edited:
I wasn't happy w my landing bays so I got some off sir Charles and installed them tonight. I think they are so much better. Thanks Charles.
I also brought out the wire for my LED's. I will likely install the switch and store the battery on the panavise itself.

09EACAB4-03A2-4374-B70F-9AA9F9619754.jpg

Also i so I think I understand the cockpit install now. Just need to do some trimming to get it to fit. After that I will start the paint process.

TND, here is an idea for a base using a wood underlayment to the acrylic, to support the lag bolt (or some such) that mounts the Panavise adapter:
base idea.jpg

Cutting the recess for the bolt head is the trick but you can use a chisel to do that. Just needs to big enough to allow for a wrench socket. Use a lock washer as well as a plate washer to ensure it stays tight and is well supported. Since the acrylic isn't really carrying an load (it basically acts as a big washer), all it should need is a good glue (like Gorilla Glue) to attach it. I'd drill first and use the bolt to align it over the hole in the wood base.

FWIW! Regards, Robert
(for what its worth)

Last edited:
FWIW! ? whats that?

i like the idea of the wood underlay, but maybe I'll make it ever so slightly smaller than the acrylic, so the acrylic overhangs a little. It seems that special drill bit is needed for the acrylic but otherwise shouldnt be an issue to drill.

thanks

I wasn't happy w my landing bays so I got some off sir Charles and installed them tonight. I think they are so much better. Thanks Charles.
I also brought out the wire for my LED's. I will likely install the switch and store the battery on the panavise itself.

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/theyrenotdolls/Falcon/09EACAB4-03A2-4374-B70F-9AA9F9619754.jpg[/URL]

Also i so I think I understand the cockpit install now. Just need to do some trimming to get it to fit. After that I will start the paint process.
Thanks man! Glad they worked out!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

So I'm looking at acrylic glossy black sheets online.

Anyone have thoughts as to how big ( or small rather ) and what shape I should get to properly display the ship and have enough weight to support it well.

I think mounting the panavise directly onto the acrylic with screws/bolts will prob work. Any thoughts there?

Thanks

den
For clear black acrylic...what I am doing I'd just buying regular clear acrylic and then painting the underside with glossy black paint. Works pretty great.

Have you looked at how I mounted my panavise? I just put it in a wood base and then eventually I plan to make a cover for the wood to look like the death star.

charles, i saw your mount, is that a 2x12 piece of wood you used? i have some 1/2" thick plywood here already I'm hoping I can use that as a base, even if I have to glue a couple pieces together to get the proper support/weight/thickness.

and the landing bay panels/flaps worked great. I had to do a little trimming of my openings but no biggie there. I'm really getting used to trimming this plastic now.

For clear black acrylic...what I am doing I'd just buying regular clear acrylic and then painting the underside with glossy black paint. Works pretty great.

Have you looked at how I mounted my panavise? I just put it in a wood base and then eventually I plan to make a cover for the wood to look like the death star.

charles, i saw your mount, is that a 2x12 piece of wood you used? i have some 1/2" thick plywood here already I'm hoping I can use that as a base, even if I have to glue a couple pieces together to get the proper support/weight/thickness.

and the landing bay panels/flaps worked great. I had to do a little trimming of my openings but no biggie there. I'm really getting used to trimming this plastic now.
My mount is designed in 3D to perfectly fit the Hasbro Falcon and then 3D printed.

Sprayed the inside w plastidip which adhered really well. It also has a really great texture.
DF5E4644-20A4-403D-9037-C894BCA67372.jpg

also I constructed the base and installed the panavise. I think I'm gonna nix the black acrylic idea. I want something more creative for this project. And whatever that is, I'll just put directly on the board.
97ED34CC-B5CB-4F0E-8658-35E072CB4CCB.jpg

F90FE314-838A-45BF-86B8-D6761E745C5F.jpg

BD3293EC-7EFE-4B1E-9562-7090194FD466.jpg

E7BF9D0E-E9F5-441F-9513-8E52162AF970.jpg

B1F99F17-34F6-4A4F-8611-C71344105E06.jpg

958D3EB6-FC88-4EF6-BE30-AB6CB44200A6.jpg

Need to work it a bit to perfect the fit,install the piping on top and then paint process.

Hope u enjoy.

Question for those of you that have re-tooled the piping on their bird, what's the best way to bend the styrene rods? Blow dryer and curve it a bit? I saw that someone used paper clips too.

Nevermind. It turns out u just have to bend em.

BC01CF1A-4E1A-4A7D-8E86-6EA3A9976883.jpg

B26DEB30-3C06-4525-8F67-C1B509558D8D.jpg

FA20DC65-66BB-4F4B-BF05-D1AC775CA3CD.jpg

520DC42A-CFA8-40EA-9011-D61A03A6B34E.jpg

so for the base I'm debating on the following themes...

A) hyperspace stars
66584C7A-4042-4080-B003-A3FE92D02FBB.jpg

. b) falcon blueprint
398CA840-FCBE-4A14-A787-DB64E8146E7C.jpg

c) Kessel map
9105A685-86EA-4733-BCB9-4E2F521C4921.jpg

d) large zoomed in falcon panels like the one sircharles77 did for his practice paint.

Gonna let this decision marinate awhile.

Thanks for looking.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back