The Original Blade Runner Blaster and Zhora Salome

KramStaar

Sr Member
Fella's --

I had the opportunity this week of spending time with the original Deckard blaster. I have made it my mission to study Karl's amazing photographs as well as those made available via the Tomenosuke team in the smallest detail and I thought I knew as much about the prop as there is to know but seeing in in person showed me just how delusional I really was regarding my 'knowledge'.

The overall blaster is ever so slightly smaller than my Sid (which I already knew), it didn't fit in my hand as well as my own does and its also lighter in weight - which surprised me. Although I know weapons very well, I was still mildly surprised at how perfect the entire blaster is from the machining to the punched text on the Steyr receiver. While the Coyle is an almost identical size, shape and feel, the Sid's fine detail is much better than the Coyle's but it was very interesting to note just how pristine and perfectly punched the Steyr receiver is and the famous serial number is small, intricate and nicely aligned.

The mag housing is original but far shiner than I thought it was. Granted, Dan keeps fingerprints off the surface while the Worldcon pics show a well handled and rather dishevelled blaster but, I was still fascinated to see how shiny the mag is which means I will need to revisit mine in order to change the finish.

The bolt - as we saw in Adam Savage's video - is quite loose and even with the bolt closed, the end-cap is also loose - bouncing slightly if I prodded it with my finger. The grips match the frame in a way I have never seen before with a smooth sweep over the metal with no gap or shift in the match between the frame and the grip.

Lastly, the grips are simply a masterpiece. I have seen many in my time but these quite frankly looked like they are poured Johnny Walker brandy. Absolutely flawless, clear and crystal smooth.

I have been privileged to see many original props during my time working in the industry including visits to the Lucasfilm archives at Skywalker ranch but this was was an undiluted pleasure never to be beaten and the stupid grin in my face shows my lack of composure.

Dan, you are a gentleman sir, Many thanks!

PKD001.jpg

PKD002.jpg

PKD003.jpg

PKD004.jpg

PKD005.jpg

PKD006.jpg

PKD007.jpg

PKD008.jpg

PKD009.jpg

Finally, no Blade Runner experience would be complete without visiting Taffy Lewis' joint to dine with the lovely Zhora Salome.
Joanna Cassidy is pure gold.

Raats_Cassidy.jpg

Regards
MARK

Just fantastic photos,
thank you for sharing they will be put to great use refining my own replica.
You've done a mans job sir :)

awesome report and epic shots for hyperdetailing the old baster, ill get onto that right away. Thanks so much for posting this.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back