Pachycephalosaurus bust and paint

AlexHarris

Just wrapped up this Pachycephalosaurus bust, originally sculpted in monster clay hard grade. First time working with monster clay, there is definitely a large learning curve coming from a super sculpey process! I used some of the Crash sketches from JP Lost World along with some photos of the actual fossils of the pachy for reference. I then molded the sculpt with a brush on silicone mold along with a rigid shell. The blank and the painted pictures are cast in smooth cast 300. The bust stands about 11 inches tall. I'm happy with how the paint scheme came out but a bit disappointed in the lack of transparency of the smooth cast 300. Will be casting with something a bit less opaque in the future but all in all Im relatively satisfied with the results. This was my first experience with molding and casting as well! hope you guys enjoy! oh and if anyone would like one of the blank castings I have 2 in the opaque white that are currently available. If theres enough interest I may do more castings! pachyblank2.jpgpachyblank3.jpgpachyblank4.jpgpachyblank1.jpgpachyblank5.jpgpachypaint5.jpgpachypaint1.jpgpachypaint2.jpgpachypaint3.jpgpachypaint4.jpg

leaving it shiny for now. Like I said this was my trial run of sculpting in monster clay and casting. Next time I will use more translucence and a more matte paint scheme for sure!

Im planning on using smooth cast 325 like detenten suggests next time. My question is, along with tinting colors will mixing a small amount of white pigment into the smooth cast give the casts a more skin like translucency? Looking to achieve a milky semi translucent muted green for the next one.

Smooth on makes so many different things. Im sure you can achieve that color. Your best bet is to call and ask for technical support. Tell then what your trying to do and they will tell you everything you need to know. Ive cast stuff for years and i still call them 5 times a week lol

Im planning on using smooth cast 325 like detenten suggests next time. My question is, along with tinting colors will mixing a small amount of white pigment into the smooth cast give the casts a more skin like translucency? Looking to achieve a milky semi translucent muted green for the next one.

Yasssss.

Yes, experiment with it a bit on the side, you'll get the hang of it in no time! I got the So Strong pigment sampler pack and it goes a long way. You might even try a translucent thin layer backed with a milky layer-- see what works! Just keep the humidity out of your resin (it'll cause it to bubble) and mix with plastic knives in plastic cups.

I do also recommend the dry gas blanket for storing the resin-- it made an enormous difference for me, since I am in New Orleans where low humidity is a futile pursuit.

- - - Updated - - -

leaving it shiny for now. Like I said this was my trial run of sculpting in monster clay and casting. Next time I will use more translucence and a more matte paint scheme for sure!

I mean gosh, this is absolutely breathtaking for a "trial run!"

Your paint job is incredible. I also even like the white, he looks so dignified!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back