Doctor Who: 10th Doctor's Glasses, Have they been IDed?

Quinn Merrick

I recently put together the brown suit 10th Doctor costume (the blue suit is my next project) and I had a great pair of glasses that I already wore as my everyday glasses that seemed to work close enough for my liking for the costume. But, unfortuantely I recently broke those glasses and I decided that my next pair I might as well go all out and get some accurate Who ones as I'd love to find the same glasses David Tennant sometimes wears to finish off the look of the costume and wear as my everday pair as well.

Has anyone IDed the glasses yet? Or anything close? This was the best I found and they're far from correct: http://www.glasses4eyes.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=56

I'd like to find the source. But inexpensive alternatives or anything even in the realm of close is desirable as well. I know this topic has been touched on a few times here but no definitive answers came of it and my search hasn't been fruitful so I thought I'd call in reinforcements! Any help is welcome...

Here are a few pictures of David wearing the glasses, though I'm sure there is better reference this can get us started:

DoctorTennant.jpg

DoctorTennant4.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, excellent photo, I have the same one but it was way smaller. That's probably going to be one of the better reference shots without doing some screencaps. Thanks

I have a pair of glasses almost identical tortoise shell glasses from Next, but they differ slightly in that they have the Next logo on a small metal plate on the arm at hinge end - but they could have been removed on the prop to avoid product placement. :)

Next's on-line store don't seem to stock them I just checked... I'm not sure if you can get them from the actual store either - I got them before DT started wearing his, a good 3 or 4 years ago. i bought a pair of black and a pair of tortoiseshell brown. Back then everyone at work called me 'Joe 90' when I started wearing them... now it's 'here comes Dr Who'

Well damn. Those glasses look pretty close and I haven't been able to find anything that was anywhere near as similar. At the very least I know it exists but it sucks that I can't FIND them anywhere to buy them lol

I think I may need to start poking around on some Who boards and I think I might try the BBC site, thanks guys.

I know this is a really old thread, but for anyone still looking.

dcoglasses.jpg

docglasses.jpg

Ok, the pics SUCK, and even if they didn't the glasses aren't 100%, but there not bad at all (especially considering I was going on memory when I found them.) And, why they were only $1. :) (I got them at the $ tree.)

Rock on! I've been looking for the glasses and if those will work til I find the accurate ones, I'm all about picking a pair up for a dollar :)

Guys, there's a member on another messageboard I go to that works for an optician and she takes her job very seriously. If need be, I can hit her up for some help IDing these frames! :cool

BUT... she IS in the States, so I don't know how much she knows about frames from the UK.

I'd be interested and would love to find perfect frames if even close.

Jason, are yours reading glasses or blank glass frames.

Any lead on IDing these would be great!

Last edited:
Here are the sets that I've found that are the closest I can find online:

In the US:
PARADE 1503 TORTOISE Discount Eyeglasses | Discounted Glasses | Discount prescription glasses | Best Priced sunglasses | Glasses Frames at discounted prices | Discount eyewear | Discount sunglasses | Cheap glasses

In the UK:
Specsavers Opticians - Designer Glasses, Sunglasses, Contact Lenses & Eyecare.

Both of them have a smaller nose piece than Tennant's, but other than that, they look pretty close to me.

Edit: Oops. I missed the date. Sorry about the necro.

Last edited:
Okay, I realize this thread is dead, but this is the only place I found a discussion about this, and I found some GREAT information on this topic.

First off, judging by the pictures I've seen, Tennant's "brainy specs" are WOOD glasses.

Now, given that, there is a manufacturer that currently makes faux wood vintage-style glasses, and they're actually relatively cheap! So, guys, check this out:

Unisex's full rim plastic eyeglasses with wood grain texture - DBSN5101 | Firmoo.com

(look at the 2nd color option, the brown)

Okay, I realize this thread is dead, but this is the only place I found a discussion about this, and I found some GREAT information on this topic.

First off, judging by the pictures I've seen, Tennant's "brainy specs" are WOOD glasses.

Now, given that, there is a manufacturer that currently makes faux wood vintage-style glasses, and they're actually relatively cheap! So, guys, check this out:

Unisex's full rim plastic eyeglasses with wood grain texture - DBSN5101 | Firmoo.com

(look at the 2nd color option, the brown)

They aren't wood, they are horn. You can take that info to the bank as I've seen the documentation and handled the glasses.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back