Dragoncon 2017

Hey Spoon. I found the pattern for Persephone's dress and her shoes. I'm having trouble finding a fabric that looks and acts similar to latex. You mentioned you might have a lead on something. Any luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which costume style are you going for?

Reloaded
Monica-Bellucci-3.jpg

Revolutions
monica_bellucci1.jpg

This is taken from an interview with the fabric cutter that worked on the Matrix films:
Interview taken from: http://www.matrixfans.net/interview...tter-australia-from-the-matrix-reloaded-2003/

PERSEPHONE’S COSTUME

MATRIX: What has been one of the most challenging things on the production so far for you?

ROGER: I think the most challenging thing was Monica Belluci’s nude dress, Persephone’s nude dress. Because we didn’t see her until two days before the shoot, we really had to have one ready to go, so we had someone go from London to Paris to measure her up, and send us over the measurements. It was quite an intense experience wondering what she was really like – you’ve got measurements on a flat piece of paper, but what does she really look like, what is her stance like, and how is it all going to work?

MATRIX: In most cases, doesn’t an actor’s agent send measurements out?

ROGER: Cutters always like to take their own measurements because they know where they’re taking them, and how they’re taking them. It’s very important to know how someone is being measured; everyone has their own technique.

MATRIX: Did you have photo reference of Monica as well?

ROGER: I had some digital photographs which proved to be a little inaccurate, I thought, but at the end of the day the zip went up and all was fine. We made three of those latex dresses just in case we had any blowouts. Monica’s dresses were made with the latex without the net behind them, so they were much more fragile. It is very easy to put a nail through it or, if there is a nick in the latex as you’re putting it on, it’ll just grow, and you’ll end up with a great cut across the dress, and there’s no rhyme or reason either, it can end up anywhere. Fortunately we haven’t had too many problems with it, and there aren’t any dresses in the movie that have been fixed, so we covered our bases there.

MATRIX: When I arrived earlier, you were polishing her latex dress with a bit of Eros Personal Lubricant, is that a traditional way of polishing latex wear?

ROGER: Yes it is. There are a couple of different ways, but mainly it’s the personal lubricants that seem to work the best.

MATRIX: Why is there the need to polish latex?

ROGER: I haven’t polished this sleeve, it’s quite dull, but the body I’ve polished, and it has a like a glass-like finish to it. You just put it the lubricant on with a sponge.

MATRIX: Wearing a costume often changes an actor into their character; how does it feel when you’ve made a costume and you see an actor get into it as, say, Monica Bellucci, then turn into Persephone?

ROGER: I feel quite incredible. It’s a great sense of pride that the idea has worked and that the actress is happy, because it’s going to show on film if she’s uncomfortable or unhappy.

The Reloaded costume, Ive got the dress & jacket pattern. I think what Im going to do is make the jacket out of latex. Its small and I can waste a lot of material without breaking the bank. The dress should be much less complex and I have found a couple stretch polyester and spandex sleeveless dresses on eBay that are the correct style that I can modify and dye pale yellow. At first I was going it attempt to make all of it from stretch PVC but the color selection is pretty limited. If you know of a stretch fabric that will give the same look Im all ears.

It's been a little quit, so I'm going to try and get the forum flowing...

So has anyone figured out there goals for next year?...

How many new costumes are on your to do list ?
How many new costumes are you planing on building / making?
How many costumes are you trying to finish, that you were unable to finish last year?
How many conventions are you planing on attending this year?

So many irons in the fire. Doubt I'll many any conventions this year. We are planning a Halloween bash with costumes required. For next years dcon I'm Working on the dress for Stephanie. (That should be fun, still gotta get my sewing machine repaired). Planning a Rorschach costume for me. And I really want to build a suit of armor but can't decide what I want to do. I want something unusual that you don't typically see. Just watched "Harlock - space pirate" and really like the pirate armor. Gotta do some more research.

I'm gonna make the jacket from latex. I've never used it before and I figure I can lean on something small. Besides I found a dress made of polyester and spandex that looks correct and Stephanie will be much more comfortable in the Atlanta heat in that than a full latex dress

As for new costumes and conventions...My plate is pretty full this year...

I plan on attending 6 conventions this year:
Collectivecon
Megacon
Star Wars Celebration
Ocalacon
Infinitycon
Dragoncon

Finishing Costumes:
Boba Fett
Jango Fett

New Costumes:
Loki
SWTFA - Rey - Scavenger Version
BB-8
SWTOR - Sith Juggernaut

Didn't get to go this year, to the RPF meet up I mean, but I might next year :) I was at the one the year before and it was fun.

same situation here too. couldnt get to the marriott in time because i was out at the hyatt house by the aquarium. this year im in the hyatt itself so i will be able to get up to my room and grab my armor in time and my wifeis loking forward to seeing the people who inspire me to greatness.

I keep checking the d.con site for hotel blocks opening up for reservations. Am I missing it somewhere. I haven seen anything posted yet???!!!![emoji848]

i have an extra room at the hyatt im trying to share out because the group i was going to have managed to get their own and didnt tell me until after i had already booked. looking to put 5 (but can do six if i get three couple or something) for 300 per person, everyone pays their own parking. if you know anyone who needs a slot feel free to contact me. i cant do a transfer because i would lose priority booking on it and the points from the room will push me into the higher membership levels faster, which will put me where i can get the exact same rooms every year for the people i already have standing deals with. the extra room i have this year, i can do out as individual shares but my hope is to develop a standing group that will take the room every year. i have people who i have a standing arrangement with that i handle the rooms and they just pay me. started off because i would catch a slot in one friends room or another every year. i end up getting a message from three people saying that since i had dodged handling the room for so long that this year it was MY turn and THAT is how i found out that there are THREE standing groups that all thought i was part of the arrangement while i thought i was just catching a slot with a friend. since im on disability and have more free time to handle stuff ive just kind of fallen into the roll of handling the rooms at this point.

Last edited:
i have an extra room at the hyatt im trying to share out because the group i was going to have managed to get their own and didnt tell me until after i had already booked. looking to put 5 (but can do six if i get three couple or something) for 300 per person, everyone pays their own parking. if you know anyone who needs a slot feel free to contact me. i cant do a transfer because i would lose priority booking on it and the points from the room will push me into the higher membership levels faster, which will put me where i can get the exact same rooms every year for the people i already have standing deals with. the extra room i have this year, i can do out as individual shares but my hope is to develop a standing group that will take the room every year. i have people who i have a standing arrangement with that i handle the rooms and they just pay me. started off because i would catch a slot in one friends room or another every year. i end up getting a message from three people saying that since i had dodged handling the room for so long that this year it was MY turn and THAT is how i found out that there are THREE standing groups that all thought i was part of the arrangement while i thought i was just catching a slot with a friend. since im on disability and have more free time to handle stuff ive just kind of fallen into the roll of handling the rooms at this point.

I sent you a PM...thanks...

Reminder we are having a meet up, if your name is not on this list, and you plan on attending the meet let us know that you are going to be attending...

Simply say: "I'm attending the meetup".

If things change and your unable to attend just send me a message to let me know to remove your name off the attending list...thanks...

Host - Matrixspoon
Co-Host - Helpfulnerd

Attendees:
JamesBryan - Avatar

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a bit quit on here, so I'm going post to try and get everyone talking...

So, who has actually started working on there costumes for next year? We all always wait till the last minute like a month or two away from the con, and then kick our self's in the but the whole time,and say I won't do this next year but we always do. So is there anyone that has actually started working on things early?...

So as usual I have shared our meet up on Facebook forums / groups. I have shared this event on about 10 plus groups, for Dragoncon and RPF...If you all have any groups or friends that you would like to share / invite this event with, fill free to do so. We are always excited to meet new people and members of the RPF,

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back