Bandai A Wing Build

Murph

Hey guys, first post here, I hope someone can help me out. After finishing all the basic painting and assembly I went to put the canopy on my Bandai A Wing and I think I blew it! Can anyone that has built this kit tell me if the tiny black ring that fits at the end of the canopy is supposed to have a small recession in it to accommodate the back end of the canopy itself? I think I may have put mine in backwards, and the fit is so tight I'm not gonna be able to get it out without really damaging it. So bummed right now- this was the last piece of the kit and I thought I had it right!!

Let me know if anyone knows what I'm talking about, and I'll try to post some pics. Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Think I ruined my Bandai A Wing

I Think a Pic would help but as you seem to have figured it out no matter ;)
Still...would be cool to see some pics of your build none the less.

Cheers.

Yeah, very true. In this case I was afraid I had assembled something wrong and would never be able to get the canopy in place though. Luckily I think I'm ok. I will probably have it finished tomorrow and I'll definitely post some pics.

This is actually the first model where I've really tried to utilize a lot of... I don't want to say more advanced techniques, maybe just more star wars specific techniques. All stuff I've learned here, much of it from the studio scale section. Things like priming in black, steel wool, etc, and especially trying to refrain from blowing out the panel lines with heavy washes. I promised myself I was past that, did it a little bit on the red section and immediately regretted it. Oh well - at least the canopy will fit!

Yeah, very true. In this case I was afraid I had assembled something wrong and would never be able to get the canopy in place though. Luckily I think I'm ok. I will probably have it finished tomorrow and I'll definitely post some pics.

This is actually the first model where I've really tried to utilize a lot of... I don't want to say more advanced techniques, maybe just more star wars specific techniques. All stuff I've learned here, much of it from the studio scale section. Things like priming in black, steel wool, etc, and especially trying to refrain from blowing out the panel lines with heavy washes. I promised myself I was past that, did it a little bit on the red section and immediately regretted it. Oh well - at least the canopy will fit!

Certain weathering technique only work best on studio scale models, the bandai kits are way too small for steel wool ect..

Certain weathering technique only work best on studio scale models, the bandai kits are way too small for steel wool ect..

No way! I always black base and use a sanding sponge! both my falcon and x-wing were done that way and I'm very happy with them

Yeah, I've had great results with the studio scale techniques on small models. With steel wool/sanding I just go easier on it, with very small pieces of wool or sandpaper. It's easy to go too far too quick, but I think that applies to larger models as well.

I ended up putting this aside yesterday and worked on my y wing instead, so no pics yet. It was one of those times where I knew I was in too deep, losing perspective- always better to take a break and come back later with fresh eyes, I think.

No way! I always black base and use a sanding sponge! both my falcon and x-wing were done that way and I'm very happy with them

As long its to scale and the rubs don't look out of proportion, would love to see pics of the finished results, I'm more into studio scale so never really tried on 1:72 small kits I just find dry brushing does the work at that scale.

GFollano

here's my 1/48 xwing w/ sanding before weathering
20150630_100419_zpspedgls3y.png

after weathering
20150713_181954_zpscw36zrqo.png

here's my falcon. This is the only pic I have after a light sand and before the heavy weathering
20160725_162735_zpsjq2gapkc.png

finished product
20160815_150901_zpsh9a25atm.png

20160815_150824_zpswclphhk8.png

20160815_150849_zps1n8dxipe.png

I remember seeing both of those- they look great. I especially like the droid strip on the x wing. Is it all washes or did you use some pastels as well?

I got a lot done on this tonight, pretty happy. The hardest part was the red, as I tried something kind of risky. I painted the red very dark originally, with the black base coat almost showing through on some panels and the red a darker shade than what I planned on being final.

The plan was to eventually use pastels to lighten the red, mute everything, and give it the dusty look the studio model had. Yesterday I froze up, too scared to try it. I don't know why- I remembered today I could just easily wipe off the pastels if needed, so I went at it and I think it worked well. Pics soon, I swear! I just need to find a place to host images. Photobucket looks awful these days, wow. Any recommendations?

I mostly use oils for weathering and rust. But the pastels went on for smoke damage. Sometimes I use pastels like a dry brush. For instance, the engine nozzles were to harsh so I used some light grey to mute them down a bit.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

You can spot some steel wool work in that pic too. I'll post some more after work tonight.

Thanks Astro, I appreciate it. Just had kind of an "Aaahhhg!" moment with it. Got the red to where I was really happy and went to spray some dull coat to seal it. I thought I was far enough back as to be safe for a light dusting but I wasn't and the dull coat blew off some of the pastels. I think I also should have rubbed them in harder but I didn't want to over-blend them, as there really are like 20 colors in that "red" on the studio model. Oh well, guess I can add more later. Kinda bummed though.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back