Indy S&W 1917 resin prop

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hiya

I just picked up a decent resin casting of a contract Smith & Wesson 1917 revolver! As much as I know about the Indy prop, (Raiders, maybe Temple of Doom) the barrel of this gun is already chopped to 4 inches and a sight was cast in. No medallion, but correctly shaped grips.

I'll have to get some pictures up, any tips on painting this thing?

I have a nice Todds Costumes raiders holster to display it in!

Last edited:
Here we go! It's black resin, and it's a 1937.

Attachments

• DSCN4018.jpg
    DSCN4018.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 348
  • DSCN4020.jpg
    DSCN4020.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 341
  • DSCN4023.jpg
    DSCN4023.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 269
  • DSCN4025.jpg
    DSCN4025.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 387
  • DSCN4028.jpg
    DSCN4028.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 260
  • DSCN4029.jpg
    DSCN4029.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 266
  • DSCN4032.jpg
    DSCN4032.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 280
Great looking resin copy! Works perfectly for the one he has in the beginning of Raiders and the one he tosses into his travel trunk(has the bladed front site instead of the ramped site as seen in the rest of the film).

I've though about picking up a resin one also since Todd doesn't have anymore of the PFC guns, but then there's Sarednab's metal version project because...variants haha.

Last edited:
haha I heard about that project!

I know, Todds would have been wonderful to still be around.

I actually didn't know the ramped sight shows up in raiders, I'll have to do some more research, I prefer this sight anyway. Rubbing graphite in sounds really cool, wouldn't that just come off with handling?

I have a nice resin version of this gun that Matsuo did years back. Really well done casting with some nice finishing touches, which he's known for. I'll post some pics when I get home. But yeah, I wish there was a decent metal replica version available.

ROTLAIndySandW2.jpg

ROTLAIndySandW.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I saw that. I might go for it, but I kinda prefer the version with the paddle sight.

I decided to dig through my piles of screws for some close enough matches for the flat head screws in the revolver frame. I matched heads the best I could and hit every resin flat head I could see. It worked out pretty well! I used a countersinking bit for everything even though some are dome headed and some are actually "v" countersunk oval heads. I used drill bits that were the same size as the screw, minus the threads. So they essentially tapped themselves.

i think it makes the resin casting feel and look more real at first glance!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 214
Missed a screw, added a wood screw in a sculpted countersink hole

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    814.5 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 198
Looks great! Funny how a little thing like adding a few screws can do so much to make it look better.

I'm in on the Sarednab project run so I've put off getting a resin one(if I found one I liked), or any other one until that comes to fruition.

Thanks! I don't blame you, if I had the money I'd be waiting patiently like I did for the ESB run. In between jobs at the moment and a cheap indy pistol casting gives me a nice side project to do in the meantime.

I started puttying every bubble I could see. some of the pinholes I just pressed and swiped putty across to fill. Others I actually damaged the bubble more, made larger damage, and the putty is sticking better

Also, like star wars blasters, I filled in the area behind the trigger. Now the only thing that can break is the front of the trigger guard, instead of the entire trigger itself!

What sort of clear coats work best for the graphite option?! I have some rustoleum flat and satin

This is a 3d print of a H&R mash up I'm painting to replicate the weapon used in the Clue film.
Completely different film, I know, but a primer and acrylics work ok. Only thing is, this gun sometimes has a polished barrel and loader. The rest is dull. How do you do that with paint:confused;)
I like the idea of the graphite dusting by TazVader20160920_215310-1.jpg

H&R_Model_733.jpg

Last edited:
Indy S&W 1917 resin prop

This is a 3d print of a H&R mash up I'm painting to replicate the weapon used in the Clue film.
Completely different film, I know, but a primer and acrylics work ok. Only thing is, this gun sometimes has a polished barrel and loader. The rest is dull. How do you do that with paint:confused;)
I like the idea of the graphite dusting by TazVaderView attachment 665586

View attachment 665589

Have you ever used Rub & Buff? It's a wax paint mixed with metal powder, you can get great results with it. I used the silver leaf version of it solely on my mangalore grenade.
655fc0dc648dab99cf8393fe69ec001d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back