3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

Re: 3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build

Really nice.
the silver plastic even has a little bit the same glow as the painted suit. :)

Here is the whole left leg printed and glued together. The pieces of course still need to be finished, and there is some extra details I want to add to them but overall a great base to work with. I'm starting to print the right leg as we speak and the printer is pretty much going 24/7 at this point. Hoping to have everything printed in a couple weeks so I could start the overhaul/clean up process.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/yloves_jj/IMG_5919.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/yloves_jj/IMG_5923.jpg

Flex PLA for the gloves was a no-go, it was flexible but not enough to make it wearable. I'm going to just print the glove in PLA and make it work similar to how an iron man glove works. I might make a mold later and cast in latex but that's in the maybe category at this point. More progress to come soon.

This project looks incredible! Basic question, but your pics have the printed parts looking really smooth right off the bat. Is that a product of the PLA you're using, the printer, or have you sanded them by the time you're taking photos?

This project looks incredible! Basic question, but your pics have the printed parts looking really smooth right off the bat. Is that a product of the PLA you're using, the printer, or have you sanded them by the time you're taking photos?

The only finished pieces that you see in the thread are the chest and left foot, all the other pieces are unfinished at the moment. The left foot I finished early as a prototype to tell me pretty much how the finished suit will look when done. I figured if the foot can look good the rest of the suit can also.

I would definitely have to say the product of the PLA makes a huge difference despite what some may say on the contrary. I've used cheap Ebay filament in the past and I also used Makergeeks filament which is kind of one of the NAME filaments at the moment and both to me or atleast when used on my printer were not very good and produced bad quality prints and that's even after trying multiple settings. The print quality was so bad that I thought something was wrong with my printer. I purchased multiple nozzles, ptfe tubes, I even messed up a couple other things in the process of trying to find out what was wrong with my printer but in the end it absolutely had nothing to do with my printer, it was just bad filament clogging up my nozzles and making my machine work harder then it really needed to.

Then finally I discovered Hatchbox PLA and it's by far the most superior PLA on the market atleast from the multiple filaments I've tried. There is a reason why Hatchbox PLA pretty much sells out instantly on Amazon and Ebay and that's because it's just superb. Since switching to it early in my suit build I've realised type of filament DOES matter. So the nicely printed pieces you see are because of Hatchbox filament.

The only finished pieces that you see in the thread are the chest and left foot, all the other pieces are unfinished at the moment. The left foot I finished early as a prototype to tell me pretty much how the finished suit will look when done. I figured if the foot can look good the rest of the suit can also.

I would definitely have to say the product of the PLA makes a huge difference despite what some may say on the contrary. I've used cheap Ebay filament in the past and I also used Makergeeks filament which is kind of one of the NAME filaments at the moment and both to me or atleast when used on my printer were not very good and produced bad quality prints and that's even after trying multiple settings. The print quality was so bad that I thought something was wrong with my printer. I purchased multiple nozzles, ptfe tubes, I even messed up a couple other things in the process of trying to find out what was wrong with my printer but in the end it absolutely had nothing to do with my printer, it was just bad filament clogging up my nozzles and making my machine work harder then it really needed to.

Then finally I discovered Hatchbox PLA and it's by far the most superior PLA on the market atleast from the multiple filaments I've tried. There is a reason why Hatchbox PLA pretty much sells out instantly on Amazon and Ebay and that's because it's just superb. Since switching to it early in my suit build I've realised type of filament DOES matter. So the nicely printed pieces you see are because of Hatchbox filament.

Oh wow. I just went to look it up and didn't expect it to be so cheap for the quality. I'm looking into doing some 3D printed projects after I've amassed enough commission cash and it's encouraging to see that one doesn't need to splurge on $44/kg filament to get fantastic looking prints.

I'm printing the right thigh as we speak. Did you notice that the right thigh on the do3d render is different from the actual stl file? On the render the thigh is more movie accurate

I'm printing the right thigh as we speak. Did you notice that the right thigh on the do3d render is different from the actual stl file? On the render the thigh is more movie accurate

When I first got the files from D03D the right thigh was nothing but a mirrored version of the left thigh so I contacted them and they sent me the correct file. That might be what your talking about but not sure. Here is a picture of the file I have
https://flic.kr/p/WdA1jX

Looks the same to me as the render in the photo on the D03D site. I just got done printing it also and I did notice the pixel rate was a little lower then the left but not by much. It should still clean up well when done. Hope that helps sir.

Last edited:

Impressive that you make this on a Replicator 2. I thought I was crazy printing big stuff on these things...

When I first got the files from D03D the right thigh was nothing but a mirrored version of the left thigh so I contacted them and they sent me the correct file. That might be what your talking about but not sure. Here is a picture of the file I have
[url]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/yloves_jj/right%20thigh.png[/URL]

Looks the same to me as the render in the photo on the D03D site. I just got done printing it also and I did notice the pixel rate was a little lower then the left but not by much. It should still clean up well when done. Hope that helps sir.

Well it is a mirrored version. The one you have is the correct one. I'm half way done with my thigh. Bummer.
I contacted do3d.

Last edited:

this build/print has thoroughly impressed me and I cant wait to see it all! WOW and AWESOME!! :love

Thank you guys. Here is an update, pretty much done printing the majority of the suit. All that you see has already been glued together, but I'm still going to fiberglass the main armor pieces for extra strength/support. Now the real hard work is going to start which is cleaning up, modifying, and making this suit wearable. Suit looks amazing when laid out all together, I think when actually finished it's going to look pretty epic. Here are some pics,

34875413694_c4f107019d_z.jpg

35547893532_4de7fdf539_z.jpg

35547891202_0b48da2833_z.jpg

Here's a the glove printed, came out perfect, still have to add the side knobs and get the fingers working the way I want.
35677129316_feae3362c0_z.jpg

Started some modifications on the legs, still quite a bit to work to do on it to get it finished.
35677130616_134959768a_c.jpg

Found some nice flexible rubber mat for the elbow and knee inserts.
35677131436_55a7630372_c.jpg

Remodeled the bottom collar piece on the elbow, to have more of an angle like the screen used piece, It still needs some missing details added.
35677129946_ee1ee69bf3_c.jpg

That's it for now. More to come.

Last edited:

fantastic job !!! i'd like a right glove/hand for my life size bust, do you know where i can find one ?

Amazing!

Fibreglassing the inside? Sorry I didn't re-read, but have you mentioned how you're going to finish the outside to smooth our all the print lines and stuff?

fantastic job !!! i'd like a right glove/hand for my life size bust, do you know where i can find one ?

Thanks, no I don't know of anyone selling gloves at the moment that I could recommend. You could contact DO3D and purchase the files individually from them at a very reasonable price and just print them yourself. If someone were to come around selling gloves or Robocop parts expect to pay a high price, since there really isn't anyone on the market selling parts, sellers really overprice the parts when they do pop up.

Amazing!

Fibreglassing the inside? Sorry I didn't re-read, but have you mentioned how you're going to finish the outside to smooth our all the print lines and stuff?

Thanks sir. To finish and smooth. I'll do an initial sanding by hand with 150 grit sandpaper, then use bondo spot putty, filler primer, sand with 220 till smooth, rinse and repeat! I'll definitely be using sculpting putty and bondo for uneven and rough areas. Hope that helps!

To finish and smooth. I'll do an initial sanding by hand with 150 grit sandpaper, then use bondo spot putty, filler primer, sand with 220 till smooth, rinse and repeat! I'll definitely be using sculpting putty and bondo for uneven and rough areas. Hope that helps!

That's how I've been doing my 3D printed star wars parts. I've heard of others pouring fibreglass resin or other smoothing agents over it. I'd be afraid to lose all those crips line details though...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back