Death Star ANH Docking Bay Gantry

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a replica of the rust colored gantry built by Jon Erland. Lorne built a replica Dykstraflex (complete with track!) that also hung above on the hangar's ceiling, so that'll be next I guess. In the mean time, I am going as best I can from ONE behind the scenes photo I was given that shows the model being constructed. It is at an oblique angle, but there are enough kit parts to probably get within 10mm or so, over all, on the dimensions. It's mostly 1/48 Bandai Panther G and 1/15 Bandai, and about $50 to $75 in Plastruct. I am still "early days" on this one, but if it all lines up and I don't have to rip stuff out, I will call it done and share measurements and Plastruct codes, in case you want to make one too. It's a weird one, but I like the stuff no one has ever made, lately.

Here it is, in the upper right in this photo:
crane3.jpg

These are what I am pretty confident was used... some things are sadly obscured/unseen.
crane2.jpg

Here's where I am as of now.
crane1.jpg

You do like the obscure stuff and its very cool to see these builds that have not been built before. Just when you think you have seen everything along comes another.

I figure I will do a partial magnetic shield/gantry "accent" behind the Falcon. I have the space all picked out, and my wife said "just build the Falcon upstairs" LOL. It literally would not fit through my studio door/up the basement stairs. (The Blockade Runner will, but no way the Falcon can take that corner). She said "just remember that Cosmoline (one of our cats) likes your model kit parts". So I have to contend with her running off with road wheels. I think I'm the only guy with 1/35 tank idlers under their fridge? Any way, my lady has green lit the eventual five footer... so I'm making it's much smaller gantry friend first.

I'm working on a way to clone her, but no luck so far, gents.

And it's my fault that the cat likes to play with parts. When we got her, I had a big box of stuff that I was picking through, and it hung around by the tv for about half a year. She literally spent the first six months of her life sleeping ON the pile... it was cute so I left it there long after I was done, lol. Mistake!

Literally you can see her grow over time!

View attachment 659864
View attachment 659863
View attachment 659862

This has cost over $200 now, lol. I'll have leftover Plastruct out the wazoo, but man, not easy to figure out when you are guessing which I and T beams were used... and ladders. Ugh the ladders.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 1.24.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 1.24.21 PM.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 618
Yep, Jon Erland built it.

I have three pics of it on the set that don't show much (from the Making of book), a behind the scenes pic with Erland building it on the bench where you can see the Bandai parts used (the best of the bunch, except Lorne's holding a Landspeeder figure JUST in the one spot I need to see the most, lol), and stills from the Blu-ray that show where the lights need to go.

LOL - I am starting over. Luckily I only had to rebuy another $50 or so in materials. It's a half an inch too narrow, by my calculations.

I'm not gluing 1/48 Bandai Panthe rG parts down if I KNOW it's wrong from the get go. I mean, it will be "wrong" any way, as it's an interpretation.

Studio scale reconstruction? Pseudio scale, again?

Also trying to ID that last blobby rectangle gear thing.

SO NARROW

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 9.35.53 AM.png

That gear looks vaguely like a toothed pulley for a No. 25 link chain, not an uncommon thing on a motion control stage.

And this thing just looks cooler than all get out!

Are you going to add lights?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back