RIP Gene Wilder. :(

Oh no! I was really hoping to meet him some day. Sad, sad news!!! :cry:cry

2015 and 2016 are really cursed. All the heroes of my youth die!

NOPE!

That's always the "You're kidding me!" moment... when I tell people that I have never seen Willy Wonka...

Blazing Saddles is on the homework list... I'm actually watching this afternoon after my pitch meeting - Didn't realize he was in it.

I have "The Producers" on my desk top cuz it was reference for the opening song in "Sausage Party" (which the studio I work at made) - but I haven't watched anything but the music sequence... and can't even remember it now... it's been too long.

My boss is REALLY into Gene Wilder I guess, heh.

My Wilder education will continue.

Here's a gem that tends to go under the radar, filmed around the time of Young Frankenstein. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventure_of_Sherlock_Holmes'_Smarter_Brother

While I am very sad to see this, he really died when Gilda did. It just took a while for the body to stop twitching. Those of you who have been familiar with him for a long time will know what I mean. When she died, he was just... hollowed out. You could just feel after that that he was trying, but was just kind of going through the motions.

I hope they're together again now, at the Bowie/Prince concert.
NeoRutty... You should probably check out his entire pre-Gilda-dying filmography. The Producers, Willy Wonka, Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask), Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother, Silver Streak, and Stir Crazy are definite standouts to me, but I like him in everything he did back then.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Willy%20Wonka_zps4yaqqdyb.jpg

:cry

Chaim

While I am very sad to see this, he really died when Gilda did. It just took a while for the body to stop twitching. Those of you who have been familiar with him for a long time will know what I mean. When she died, he was just... hollowed out. You could just feel after that that he was trying, but was just kind of going through the motions.

Yeah, I'm from Greenwich CT which is right next to Stamford where he lived the past few decades. He wasn't considered a very nice man by people who actually encountered him on a day to day basis after she died from what I had heard.

The one thing he really did seem to enjoy was going to libraries and reading Willy Wonka to kids, it seems like that's the only time he was ever in the news. Well that and when Gilda's cancer charity went full retard and removed Gilda's name from itself.

Yeah, I'm from Greenwich CT which is right next to Stamford where he lived the past few decades. He wasn't considered a very nice man by people who actually encountered him on a day to day basis after she died from what I had heard.

I think seeing her waste away slowly from the cancer broke his spirit for a long time, he seemed to have been a bit of a hermit until recently and then his mind started to go. Actually if folks had issues with him recently it could have been part of the issues he suffered. Alzheimer's and dementia cause severe personality shifts at times. My grandma got kinda nasty for a while when her mind started to go.

Oh, here's his home shown during an interview with Larry King from 2002.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/entertain...ot.cnn/video/playlists/celebrities-weve-lost/

- - - Updated - - -

I think seeing her waste away slowly from the cancer broke his spirit for a long time, he seemed to have been a bit of a hermit until recently and then his mind started to go. Actually if folks had issues with him recently it could have been part of the issues he suffered. Alzheimer's and dementia cause severe personality shifts at times. My grandma got kinda nasty for a while when her mind started to go.

Yeah it was years ago that was the local gossip. I don't know how often he was out and about after the Hodgkins diagnosis and then Alzheimers.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back