Anovos not giving refunds only store credit

Apollo

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As the title says a member on another board was given a store credit instead of a refund for a pre-order that was cancelled.

Thought it would be nice for people to know

That doesn't seem right for a pre-order that hasn't even been shipped and or used. Looking at the policy on the website it says pre-orders can be canceled for a full refund.

"By pre-ordering products, the customer are authorizing ANOVOS to automatically charge your account upon submission of the order and obtain the product when it becomes available at a later date. You may cancel your pre-order (and obtain a full refund) anytime prior to the time the item or items ship, should you so desire it."

:(

No this was for a Pre-order that THEY ANOVOS cancelled, was in the fine print.

I agree with you imo this is outrageous conduct on their part.

Regardless they did indeed gave the person a store credit plus 10 % off the next order

I was on the fence about ordering the survival jacket but I am not now.

No more pre-orders for me for them

Last edited:
Bingo. Simple matter of bought item and item was not delivered.

This needs to be verified a little befor the pitchforks come out. Has Anovos commented on this? Has said member of other forum contacted Anovos to get a refund directly? This might be an automated response from them. A quick call could potentially sort it out.

This is what I was thinking, has this been confirmed with Anovos? I first read it as they had canceled the order but thought surely this wouldn't be the case but I guess I was wrong...yeah if they canceled a pre-order through no fault of the buyer than it's ridiculous not to refund there payment. I don't generally cancel a pre-order but even so this would sway me not to ever pre-order from them and I had looked at it before.

I believe I am the board member from their other board (the TPZ) being referenced in the originating post of this thread.

Below is the email I received from ANOVOS regarding store credit being the mode of resolution regarding the cancellation of the "Star Trek Beyond" phaser kit. No other form of refund was offered.

After multiple unanswered voice mail messages on their customer service phone line and unanswered emails and open tickets requesting a refund onto my credit card vs. store credit, I finally did receive store credit for the canceled pre-order vs. a full refund after an extended conversation via their "chat online" service. After all the difficulties I had just in receiving an acknowledgment from them, in the end I was just grateful to finally receive the codes for the store credit; though I am not a cosplayer and am having some difficulty finding an itemn I would like to purchase at this time.

There may be some self-accountability for me if I missed anything that stipulated that any payment for a cancelled pre-order item would be store credit vs. a straight monetary refund. Maybe I "clicked" something in my order that stated any refund would be as store credit? Outside of either fine print or some option I unknowingly selected, in my mind, if the item I actually ordered is cancelled I should have simply received a notification followed by an assurance that a full refund was being issued. In any case, surprisingly, I am not too upset in the end as long as I receive "something" after my mounting frustration at receiving no answers and no follow up.

Here is the email I received regarding the cancelled production of the phaser kit/servo motor accessory and the notification that the refund would be in the form of store credit:

Dear valued ANOVOS customer,

Many of the costumes and accessories we produce have a strong, but limited, appeal to a very niche market of fans. With your help, through the use of the pre-order model, we are able to license, research, and ultimately deliver dream items from our favorite sci-fi TV shows and films---both old and new. However, occasionally we do not receive enough interest in a particular product to make it viable.

Unfortunately, the Star Trek™ Beyond Type-1B Hand Phaser Kit has been cancelled. We will be issuing you a 100% Refund as Store Credit: Please contact our customer support team with your order number and the name of the person who placed the order. You can use our online ticket system, send us a message via our Facebook page, or contact us through Live Chat on ANOVOS.com from Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm Pacific.

Last edited:
So what ANVOS was really doing was purposing the ST-B Phaser kit, asking for money up front then when it doesn't make them the profit they wanted they cancel it and keep the money. I have wanted to buy many of their products but their prices have always stopped me, and this pre-order scam just made it worse.

I'm no lawyer, but this smells illegal to me; sort of the epitome of "bait and switch." As stated above, maybe you can get PayPal to assist you.

I have a few things on preorder with them and this does worry me. I don't know if they'll ever have an in-hand inventory of something I'd want, but this practice of theirs really puts me off any future pre-orders.

I appreciate all the advice and kindred support; however, I consider the matter closed, at least as far as my situation. After almost 2 weeks of calling and leaving voice mail messages and emails I was finally happy just to get codes to use my money as store credit. I suppose it I had really pressed the matter hard, once I actually had a customer service rep on the line via the "online chat" channel but I just no longer had it in me.

Perhaps my experience was a singular experience and others had an easier experience. Surely I'm not the only RPF member who ordered the Beyond phaser kits. Perhaps others had different experiences?

Last edited:
I will not go into details except to say he tried their number and got no response, they finally told him it was in the fine print and that was their policy.

Needless to say I am done with them and I do not say that lightly as I have ordered quite a few thing from them and would have in the future

i will NEVER EVER place a pre-order with them again,

I was on the fence about ordering the Trek survivai jacket, no more even Efx has not pulled this type of shenanangans.

Bingo. Simple matter of bought item and item was not delivered.

This needs to be verified a little befor the pitchforks come out. Has Anovos commented on this? Has said member of other forum contacted Anovos to get a refund directly? This might be an automated response from them. A quick call could potentially sort it out.

I posted before I scrolled down and saw your response.

First let me say i apoligize as it was not my intention to out you but I felt very strongly that others should be made aware of the horrible treatment you recieved from them and this ludicrious policy of theirs.

Thank you for providing all the members of this board the details of their outrageous behavior.

Even If it was in the fine print they should have promptly refunded your money REGARDLESS.

I believe I am the board member from their other board (the TPZ) being referenced in the originating post of this thread.

Below is the email I received from ANOVOS regarding store credit being the mode of resolution regarding the cancellation of the "Star Trek Beyond" phaser kit. No other form of refund was offered.

After multiple unanswered voice mail messages on their customer service phone line and unanswered emails and open tickets requesting a refund onto my credit card vs. store credit, I finally did receive store credit for the canceled pre-order vs. a full refund after an extended conversation via their "chat online" service. After all the difficulties I had just in receiving an acknowledgment from them, in the end I was just grateful to finally receive the codes for the store credit; though I am not a cosplayer and am having some difficulty finding an itemn I would like to purchase at this time.

There may be some self-accountability for me if I missed anything that stipulated that any payment for a cancelled pre-order item would be store credit vs. a straight monetary refund. Maybe I "clicked" something in my order that stated any refund would be as store credit? Outside of either fine print or some option I unknowingly selected, in my mind, if the item I actually ordered is cancelled I should have simply received a notification followed by an assurance that a full refund was being issued. In any case, surprisingly, I am not too upset in the end as long as I receive "something" after my mounting frustration at receiving no answers and no follow up.

Here is the email I received regarding the cancelled production of the phaser kit/servo motor accessory and the notification that the refund would be in the form of store credit:

Dear valued ANOVOS customer,

Many of the costumes and accessories we produce have a strong, but limited, appeal to a very niche market of fans. With your help, through the use of the pre-order model, we are able to license, research, and ultimately deliver dream items from our favorite sci-fi TV shows and films---both old and new. However, occasionally we do not receive enough interest in a particular product to make it viable.

Unfortunately, the Star Trek™ Beyond Type-1B Hand Phaser Kit has been cancelled. We will be issuing you a 100% Refund as Store Credit: Please contact our customer support team with your order number and the name of the person who placed the order. You can use our online ticket system, send us a message via our Facebook page, or contact us through Live Chat on ANOVOS.com from Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm Pacific.

vaporware. where is gotmaul now?? my shadow kit is finally on its way after i had to open a ticket complaint. then fork over more money 23$ for shipping. so the kit was still a bargain, but what the frack? i paid for fed ex 2 day. a year and a half ago...... then had to pay MORE $$$$ for ups ****ty one week service. ANOVOS IS GOING DOWN THE CRAPPER. VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLARS. DONT GIVE THEM ANY MORE $$$$

I posted before I scrolled down and saw your response.

First let me say i apoligize as it was not my intention to out you but I felt very strongly that others should be made aware of the horrible treatment you recieved from them and this ludicrious policy of theirs.

Thank you for providing all the members of this board the details of their outrageous behavior.

Even If it was in the fine print they should have promptly refunded your money REGARDLESS.

Not a problem at all.

As I said, I hope my experience was a singular one. In my case, it was a very disappointing experience that I hope no other board member has to experience with an outcome that had the overall satisfaction of ordering your favorite dish at your favorite restaurant, only to be told (after you have ordered and paid) that your favorite dish is no longer available but perhaps you can make due with something else? You may leave with your belly full but hardly satisfied.

Last edited:
Thank you for your explanation. Unfortunately this is not how things are supposed to work. One call to the CC company and it would have been over in 10 minutes.

I dont care what the fine print says.....If doesnt pass the smell test, your CC company will reverse the charge.

We know you are not the only case as they put their policy in print. And the policy sucks, and is probably unenforceable in most parts of the country.

I'm not so sure it is after all in their terms and conditions, bottom line is ANOVOS is pulling some shady chit here.

Jose you should be ashamed of yourself for this pathetic money grab! :unsure

Thank you for your explanation. Unfortunately this is not how things are supposed to work. One call to the CC company and it would have been over in 10 minutes.

I dont care what the fine print says.....If doesnt pass the smell test, your CC company will reverse the charge.

We know you are not the only case as they put their policy in print. And the policy sucks, and is probably unenforceable in most parts of the country.

If ANOVOS cancels the order because they are not going to produce the item then they owe a complete refund. A store credit does not suffice and may be considered a Deceptive Trade Practice under many states laws and subject them to a penalties and attorney fees. If anyone would like me to look into that issue for you, then PM me directly. I am a lawyer and will be happy to look into this issue for board members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If a product becomes unavailable following a transaction or if technical problems prevent delivery of a product, a credit will be issued or refund of the price paid, as determined by ANOVOS Productions LLC."
"You may cancel your pre-order (and obtain a full refund) anytime prior to the time the item or items ship, should you so desire it."
I don't know what the laws are like in America, but I also agree that it smells fishy not being able to choose how you get your refund back. As far as I know, it should be up to the consumer to choose themselves.

Yeah the policy posted on there site says a full refund will be issued if canceled ANYTIME prior to the time of shipping so this is not right at all...especially with they being the one that canceled it. You may be over lol but i'm upset for you! Bad way to go Anovos.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back